News   Apr 24, 2024
 85     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 580     0 

David Crombie Park Revitalization

Anybody have any insight into through what mechanism the Market Lane school was able to get exclusive access to the Princess - Hahn block for 10 months of the year, 8am - 6pm? Was kicked off the basketball courts at 8am by a teacher from the school - a bit disappointing since there were no students in the area until 9, and even at 930am they were not using the courts. Seems to go against the spirit of the idea of shared space between school and public park.

PXL_20200919_200033899.jpg

Anybody have any insight into through what mechanism the Market Lane school was able to get exclusive access to the Princess - Hahn block for 10 months of the year, 8am - 6pm? Was kicked off the basketball courts at 8am by a teacher from the school - a bit disappointing since there were no students in the area until 9, and even at 930am they were not using the courts. Seems to go against the spirit of the idea of shared space between school and public park.

View attachment 270824
It was part of the original agreement in the 1970s when the whole area was developed and the Park, the Schools and the residential neighbourhood was established. It is similar at the Lower Jarvis end of the Park where the St Michaels Catholic and the Alternative School have their Playground in what is really "Park". In fact, the strange 'pavilion' at the Hahn Place end at Market Lane School is the top of a pedestrian tunnel that runs to the school. This has not been used for decades as it kept flooding (and was not the best thing for kids either) and may have actually been filled in. It will be removed when David Crombie is 'upgraded" in a year or so.

Thanks for the response, that's very interesting!

I've only moved to the neighbourhood in the past year, I guess I'm just surprised that what is a fairly "famous" Toronto public basketball court is in fact under exclusive use of the local school for 10 months of the year. I guess it's more of a weekend thing then?

Always wondered what that pavilion thing was, I've seen a similar structure in a few other parts of Toronto too

View attachment 270824

I would also assume that the timed restrictions are there to provide a safe recreation space for the students. Although the students may not have been using the playground when you were there, schools work on timetables and these often rotate week by week, year by year, so it is probably easiest for all involved to have a blanket guide as to when the space is available for the public and when it is available exclusively for the students.
As this is an urban school with very little real estate, the shared agreement of the park space is really quite innovative.

Reactions: DSC
As this is an urban school with very little real estate, the shared agreement of the park space is really quite innovative.
Yes, I think this was the first time the City and a School Board had done this in Toronto but it was done when the whole area was being planned in the late 1970s. Obviously easier to do when you are working with a virtually blank canvas!

Yes, I think this was the first time the City and a School Board had done this in Toronto but it was done when the whole area was being planned in the late 1970s. Obviously easier to do when you are working with a virtually blank canvas!
It’s a really sensible idea to have a school share a park. The city and school board often formally shared resources and space in the 1970s; then that ethos was forgotten for about 40 years.

This one is in the capital budget, as proposed for the City.

Based on cash-flow, design this year, construction starting next year.

Below is taken from the City of Toronto Capital Budget, the first number, $220 (000) is for 2021, each subsequent number is one year later, except for the last number which is the cumulative budget total.

So the budget is $24, 473, 000

Construction appears to be 2022-2027

1610721127055.png

This one is in the capital budget, as proposed for the City.

Based on cash-flow, design this year, construction starting next year.

Below is taken from the City of Toronto Capital Budget, the first number, $220 (000) is for 2021, each subsequent number is one year later, except for the last number which is the cumulative budget total.

So the budget is $24, 473, 000

Construction appears to be 2022-2027

View attachment 294158
So far so good but I understand that Wong-Tam has decided to move Section 37 $$$ obtained when it was in ward 28 (from developments in the area just NORTH of the park) to other priorities in new Ward 13 - e.g. Moss Park. The whole area north of the rail berm (including David Crombie) used to be in Ward 28 but (while most of the area was put into Ward 13, the area south of The Esplanade was put into Ward 10 and that includes the David Crombie park.) Cressy and Wong-Tam are still discussing as many (most?) the park users live in Ward 13 but if she reallocates Section 37 obtained when it was all Ward 28, Cressy will have to find more from (new) Ward 10.

So far so good but I understand that Wong-Tam has decided to move Section 37 $$$ obtained when it was in ward 28 (from developments in the area just NORTH of the park) to other priorities in new Ward 13 - e.g. Moss Park. The whole area north of the rail berm (including David Crombie) used to be in Ward 28 but (while most of the area was put into Ward 13, the area south of The Esplanade was put into Ward 10 and that includes the David Crombie park.) Cressy and Wong-Tam are still discussing as many (most?) the park users live in Ward 13 but if she reallocates Section 37 obtained when it was all Ward 28, Cressy will have to find more from (new) Ward 10.

I do wish we would see monies allocated to the neighbourhood, not the ward; in respect of S.37

The idea that if you shift a ward line by 1 block money has to depart a long-planned, community supported project really isn't reasonable.

I do wish we would see monies allocated to the neighbourhood, not the ward; in respect of S.37

The idea that if you shift a ward line by 1 block money has to depart a long-planned, community supported project really isn't reasonable.
You are, as usual, right but this is NOT in the Act - which reads:

37. Community benefits charge by-law​

(2) The council of a local municipality may by by-law impose community benefits charges against land to pay for the capital costs of facilities, services and matters required because of development or redevelopment in the area to which the by-law applies. 2020, c. 18, Sched. 17, s. 1.

The idea of it being restricted to a Ward (rather than an area) is done by the City and they give FAR too much authority to Ward Councillors, in my opinion! (When we had 44 Wards it MIGHT have made more sense, to restrict things to a Ward, but with the new much larger Wards it makes FAR less sense.)

This one has slipped in the timeline, as @DSC suggested it might....

1644618270668.png

The first year that money flows is now 2025, with 4.223M slated for 2027 and onwards

p.10

Hold on, just to frustrate me, there's another line item for this in the budget:

1644618808218.png

This one is on p.9

It still has money flowing next year.

The codes suggest two different sub projects.

Assuming I'm correct, this is fairly well funded, it reads as nearly 20M

Last edited:
This one has slipped in the timeline, as @DSC suggested it might....

View attachment 379764

The first year that money flows is now 2025, with 4.223M slated for 2027 and onwards

p.10

Hold on, just to frustrate me, there's another line item for this in the budget:

View attachment 379765

This one is on p.9

It still has money flowing next year.

The codes suggest two different sub projects.

Assuming I'm correct, this is fairly well funded, its reads as nearly 20M
Any idea as to why construction was delayed?

Back