News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 574     0 

date format

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like the dd-mm-yy format instead of a mm-dd-yy for internet posts. Is there anyone else who cares?

^ We also say quarter past seven.... we don't write 1/4p:7. In addition historically it was more natural to say something like "the twenty-fifth day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy-four" which would suggest day-month-year.

yyyy-MM-dd... we put the most significant value on the left and least significant on the right when using numbers so if it isn't being spelt out then show it in true numeric format. It also makes more sense when sorting. Friday, July 6, 2007 or 2007-07-06 makes the most sense to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

One has to wonder why such a thing has never been standardized.

If someone asked him the time, my father would say things like "five-and-twenty to six" for 5:35, which drew blank stares from most people. I think it was a Victorian way of speaking he picked up from his parents, who were born in the 1880's.

The first time I was in the U.K. I was always stumped by all the "half six" or "half ten" talk. I always had to think do they mean "30 minutes to seven" or "30 minutes to six." I eventually figured it out.

Mister F, I believe the ISO standard is year-month-day as you suggest. But I've noticed that in Canada at least, no one uses this format except elementary school teachers who apparently teach it to kids, only to have it ignored in the "real world". (So I'm told by my sister-in-law, an elementary teacher who thinks it's a bit hilarious.)

Back