News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Darkstar's Detroit (Part I)

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
simply Dan and I recently took a trip to beautiful and romantic Detroit. Haha! Seriously though, Detroit is a fascinating place on so many levels and perhaps the greatest example of "how did people let this happen" that we have in North America. While it's sometimes hard to say anything nice about Detroit, you have to admit that it's pretty photogenic. I also must admit to finding the downtown in slightly better shape than when I was last in Detroit (2003), despite the dark abyss that is the Michigan economy. Enjoy and please comment!

Detroit begins to rise out of farmer's fields about 10 minutes before arriving in Windsor.
DSCN0022.jpg

Entering North America's "car capitals" in a Benz.
DSCN0026.jpg

Detroit's skyline towers over Windsor's Ouellette Avenue as if no river or international border exists.
DSCN0027.jpg

Detroit's skyline from Windsor's Riverside Drive
DSCN0029.jpg

A final shot of Detroit from the Canadian side of the Detroit River.
DSCN0033.jpg

Upon entering Detroit we headed straight up Woodward to the "Arts Center" neighbourhood and to the Detroit Institute of the Arts.
DSCN0166.jpg

The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) showcases an immense range of art, much of it acquired during the period when Detroit was a much larger, powerful and more significant city. The DIA actually ranks as the second largest municipally-owned museum in the United States with an art collection valued at more than $1 billion dollars.
DSCN0059.jpg

Our primary purpose in visiting the DIA was to see Diego Rivera's (Mexican, 1886–1957) fresco cycle in Rivera Court.
DSCN0035.jpg

The central panel of the north wall depicts the production of the 1932 Ford V8.
DSCN0036.jpg

The major panel of the south wall is devoted to the production of the automobile’s exterior.
DSCN0037.jpg

The north and south walls are both devoted to three sets of images: the representation of the races that shape North American culture, the automobile industry and the other industries of Detroit. At the bottom of the walls are small panels which depict the sequence of a day in the life of the workers at the Ford River Rouge plant.
DSCN0039.jpg

The frescos were commissioned by Edsel Ford, president of the Arts Commission as well as of Ford Motor Company and Dr. William Valentiner, director of the DIA.
DSCN0040.jpg

Rivera Court is considered one of the finest examples of Mexican muralist work in the United States and Rivera considered it the most successful work of his career.
DSCN0042.jpg

The DIA's Rivera Court (cont.)...
DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0046.jpg

Henry Ford himself is depicted in one of the murals (in the DIA's Rivera Court).
DSCN0047.jpg

The artist - Diego Rivera - depicted himself as part of the cycle (he's the sad man with the top hat).
DSCN0048.jpg

The DIA's Rivera Court (cont.)
DSCN0049.jpg

To our pleasure, but not really surprise, we found a lot more to admire in the DIA beyond Rivera's awesome frescos. For instance, we found one of Frank Lloyd Wright's original "Tree of Life" windows which was originally part of Buffalo, New York's "Darwin D. Martin Complex" (which coincidentally we visited back in March).
DSCN0050.jpg

An installation in the Contemporary Gallery of the DIA.
DSCN0051.jpg

Another installation in the Contemporary Gallery of the DIA.
DSCN0054.jpg

Andy Warhol's self portrait in the DIA's Contemporary Gallery.
DSCN0055.jpg

One of the more humouros pieces we found in the Contemporary Gallery of the DIA.
DSCN0057.jpg

A final installation from the Contemporary Gallery of the DIA.
DSCN0058.jpg

Then it was off to find the infamous Michigan Central Terminal, but snapping a few pics along the way. This would have been from one of Detroit's many "urban prairies" just a bit north-west of the downtown.
DSCN0062.jpg

We also passed what remains of Detroit's Tiger Stadium (closed in 1999). It was declared a State of Michigan Historic Site in 1975 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1989. Despite this, the city of Detroit ripped most of it down in 2008 and sold it for scrap. Efforts continue to try and save the remaining portion of the structure.
DSCN0064.jpg

Michigan Central Station was built in 1913 and was Detroit, Michigan's passenger rail depot from its opening in 1913, until the cessation of Amtrak service in 1988. At the time of its construction, it was the tallest rail station in the world.
DSCN0065.jpg

Michigan Central is one of the most popular urban exploration sites in the world and relatively easy to break-in to. We decided not to...this time.
DSCN0069.jpg

Sadly, just a few weeks ago Detroit City Council voted to demolish the station in an "expedited fashion." It could be down within months.
DSCN0070.jpg

Michigan Central Terminal (cont.)...
DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

A juxtaposition of enormous proportions...
DSCN0073.jpg

Michigan Central (much like Buffalo's "Buffalo Central") was built a few kilometres outside of the downtown in anticipation of the downtown moving towards it. In both cases, it never materialized. Today, Detroit's Corktown neighbourhood is considered the city's oldest surviving neighbourhood even though various "urban renewal" projects have left it only a fraction of its former size.
DSCN0068.jpg

Then it was time to check-in to our hotel. The infamous Book Cadillac.
DSCN0081.jpg

The hotel opened in 1924 and at the time was the tallest hotel in the world. Sadly, it sat abandoned between 1984 and 2006. The Westin chain now operates a hotel on the property, but only after a complete gutting and refurbishment of the property. It is one of only a very few "good news stories" to come out of Detroit over the last few years.
DSCN0082.jpg

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit (as it is now called) from Michigan Avenue.
DSCN0102.jpg

Across the street from the Book-Cadillac sits the ominous Book Tower. This tower is arguably the most unique on Detroit's skyline. Built in the Italian Renaissance style it was started in 1916, as an addition to the original Book Building, and finished a decade later.
DSCN0079.jpg

On January 5, 2009, the last occupant of the tower, Bookies Tavern, closed its doors to move to a new location, still downtown. The Book Building and Book Tower are now completely vacant.
DSCN0080.jpg

The new Rosa Parks Transit Center is behind schedule, but should be opening sometime this year. The 24-hour multi-modal centre will feature 12 bus bays covered by a tensile structure.
DSCN0084.jpg

Then it was time for a ride on the world's largest toy train set...The Detroit People Mover. The art is Kirk Newman's "On the Move" inside the Michigan Avenue Station.
DSCN0085.jpg

Continued @ Detroit II.

Last edited:
The Feds should step in and keep that station alive. If it is torn down the whole city council should be jailed.

What's the point of tearing it down? I have to get to Detroit and see this masterpiece before it's gone.

From theonion.com:

Detroit Mayor Throws First Brick In Glass-Breaking Ceremony For New Slum

detroit_article_large.article_large.jpg

As community leaders and members of the press looked on, Detroit mayor David Bing proudly hurled the first brick this week in a window-shattering ceremony for the city's newest dilapidated slum.

The result of three years of construction work and more than $24,000 in public funds, the rat-infested and crime-ridden development was unveiled to the public on Tuesday.

"It is my great honor to introduce to you the brand new Baneberry Heights," announced Bing, gesturing to the ramshackle subdivision behind him. "Filthy, dangerous, filled with violence and blight: It's all here, and it's all completely falling apart."

Detroit-Mayor-Jump-R.article.jpg

Martha Wallace, 35, takes a pleasant stroll down one of the neighborhood's dimly lit, trash-strewn streets.

"This is what the people of Detroit have been waiting for," Bing continued before walking to a nearby trash can, setting its contents on fire, and heaving the flaming receptacle through a corner storefront. "Baneberry Heights is a nightmare come true."

Lined with flickering streetlamps, and conveniently located within walking distance of several abandoned Chevrolet plants, the new slum reportedly offers residents the latest in high-risk, hopelessly impoverished housing options. According to city officials, the fully modern ghetto is made up of 10 main tenement buildings, each featuring a wide range of amenities, including rusted-through sinks, substandard heating, and colonies of cockroaches in every room.

"Baneberry Heights has the very worst that money can buy," said slum developer Harold Pitts, adding that each one-bedroom apartment can accommodate desperate families of six or more. "Whether it's darkened and dead-end alleyways, or parks littered with used hypodermic needles, we've thought it all through. Every horrifying detail is in its place."

Designed as an urban community where parents will be too afraid to let children out of their sight, and where residents can come together, get involved in dangerous gangs, and eventually hold up a liquor store, Baneberry Heights is Detroit's largest housing initiative in nearly a decade.

Many have hailed the new slum as a boon for the struggling city, saying it will provide appallingly unsafe housing for 4,000 residents and, by summer's end, cold and bleak street corners for more than 2,000 homeless citizens.

"This is why I became a politician—to help out the people of Detroit," said urban development secretary Robert Sturges, who also christened the new slum by urinating on its entranceway. "Being able to say that I had a hand in getting this squalid hellscape of concrete and steel off the ground...well, it's all the thanks I need."

According to official plans, Baneberry Heights will offer residents a number of perks beyond the standard dignity-free accommodations. Within the year, a grossly out-of-date elementary school—complete with zero computer labs, inattentive teachers, and asbestos in the walls—will be completed. In addition, a new shuttered strip mall will be erected on the edge of the slum, allowing for a deserted hub where prostitution and other illicit activities can flower.

Crews are also putting the finishing touches on an outdated, leaky gas main scheduled to explode next spring.

"The whirring of police sirens, the stench of rising smoke, screams from a domestic dispute spilling out into the night—I can imagine it already," said Detroit city planner Paul Mitchelson. "This is going to be the slum to try and escape from for years to come."

Public reaction to Baneberry Estates has so far been mixed. While some Motor City natives have already started pawning prized possessions and old family heirlooms in order to move into the decrepit development, others seem less convinced.

"As far as giant 'fuck-yous' from the city go, I'm a little underwhelmed," said Danica Michaels, a single mother of four young children. "This is nothing compared to the giant interstate they built through my neighborhood last year."

It is a joke... I think.

Good start with the Detroit pics...

DK416: Good introduction for your Detroit trip!
Good pics inside DIA and the ones concerning Tiger Stadium and the MCRR station are interesting.
Where is Baneberry Heights exactly? so I can pinpoint it on a map-or a Google Map link would be appreciated.
LI MIKE

Crossed up by Onion satire perhaps?

Does that Baneberry Heights/Estates neighborhood actually exist in Detroit as posted from the Onion by WK Lis? LI MIKE

"Seen alot of things in this old world
When I touched them they did nothing, girl
Ooooo baby, here I am, signed, sealed delivered, I'm yours"

DSCN0079.jpg

Rome had a population of about a million around 120, but fell to 20,000 by the middle ages. People lived within the ruins. It only returned back to over a million by the 1930's. Could Detroit be doing the same with its population?

Year Population
350 BC 30,000
250 BC 150,000
44 BC 1,000,000
120 1,000,000
330 800,000
410 700-800,000
530 90-150,000
650 70,000
1000 20,000
1400 20,000
1526 50,000–60,000
1528 20,000

Year Population
1600 100,000
1750 156,000
1800 163,000
1820 139,900
1850 175,000
1853 175,800
1858 182,600
1861 194,500
1871 212,432
1881 273,952
1901 422,411
1911 518,917

Year Population
1921 660,235
1931 930,926
1936 1,150,589
1951 1,651,754
1961 2,188,160
1971 2,781,993
1981 2,840,259
1991 2,775,250
2001 2,663,182
2007 2,718,768

Fooled by the Onion!

Everyone: I-along with others possibly-were fooled by the Onion!
That accompanying pic looks like it was taken in Baltimore - or maybe Philadelphia-judging by the row house style in the background.
Others that know Detroit well would definitely know-like DBB.
LI MIKE

Back