News   Mar 28, 2024
 20     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Czech Republic parts 3 and 4: The PRAGUE thread!

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
Prague is the must see destination in the Czech Republic. The city survived the world wars and Communist rule relatively unscathed.
While it's been discovered by hordes of tourists, it's still pretty much off the radar in North America. Some of the
old ways persist, which make it that much more interesting. I decided I'd put all my Prague pictures in one thread.
So this series now has only 3 parts.

The metro: the best way to get around the city.
106_resize.jpg

The New Town Hall. The New Town is "everyday" Prague - the tourists flock to the Old Town and Lesser Quarter.
Charles Square is in the foreground - I read that it was the third biggest square in the world, but it's more of a park than a square.
001_resize.jpg

004_resize.jpg

Gehry's Dancing House - Fred and Ginger. Brilliant.
005_resize.jpg

I'll never complain about the smog in Toronto again!
006_resize.jpg

The National Theatre
008_resize.jpg

Prague Castle is on the east side of the Vltava River, overlooking the Lesser Quarter. It's the largest castle in the world,
and still home to the Czech president's offices.
012_resize.jpg

St. Vitus Cathedral dominates the castle
013_resize.jpg

pano of the main square of the castle. This place is massive. Scroll >>
016_resize.jpg

020_resize.jpg

The Golden Lane
023_resize.jpg

I got yelled at for touching something in the dungeon. Oops.
025_resize.jpg

The red roofs of Prague
029_resize.jpg

030_resize.jpg

City of a Hundred Towers
033_resize.jpg

The Pancras district (Pankrác in Czech) is to Prague what La Defense is to Paris. I didn't get a chance to see it
close up so I used my trusty 12x zoom :D
032_resize.jpg

035_resize.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a memorial to the war. The Nazis occupied Czechoslovakia in 1938.
036_resize.jpg

A metro station nearby. The Prague metro gets some impressive ridership - 620 million passenger per year with only 54 stations and
3 lines. All the lines go through the city centre, and a new one is planned.
038_resize.jpg

3 generations of trams
102_resize.jpg

101_resize.jpg

100_resize.jpg

The Czech Republic is definitely not flat. Even in the cities you get dramatic secenery.
103_resize.jpg

Most of suburban Prague looks just like the pics I already posted of suburban Pilsen and Rokycany.

The Lesser Quarter. I was in this area twice so my pictures from both visits are mixed in together.
041_resize.jpg

042_resize.jpg

045_resize.jpg

043_resize.jpg

046_resize.jpg

047_resize.jpg

The Kafka Museum
057_resize.jpg

The Charles Bridge. If you've seen only a few pictures of Prague before, chances are this bridge was one of them.
It's an amazing place to take a walk and linger for a while. If you can stand the hordes of tourists.
056_resize.jpg

055_resize.jpg

052_resize.jpg

050_resize.jpg

The medieval streets of the Old Town
058_resize.jpg

Another pano, the Old Town Square. And what a square!
064_resize.jpg

The Astronomical Clock
060_resize.jpg

Lots of restaurants in this area. Customer service is pretty bad. Wait staff have an attitude of superiority, as if
we should feel priveliged that they were serving us. A couple of them didn't get tipped. Of course there were some good
waiters and waitresses too but they were more rare.
062_resize.jpg

063_resize.jpg

065_resize.jpg

066_resize.jpg

068_resize.jpg

Wenseslas Square. Not really a square, more of a long boulevard. It's the main shopping district of Prague and it caters
to locals and tourists alike.
069_resize.jpg

Just off the square is the old home of the Communist government.
072_resize.jpg

073_resize.jpg

The Old Town Square may be the centre of the city, but Wenseslas Square is the modern heart of Prague.
It was here that the Velvet Revolution toppled the Communist government in 1989.
077_resize.jpg

070_resize.jpg

The National Gallery at the end of the Square
P1020629.jpg

076_resize.jpg

078_resize.jpg

079_resize.jpg

The Prague Opera House
081_resize.jpg

Main train station
085_resize.jpg

Surprisingly small on the inside
084_resize.jpg

...until you see the more modern, GO Transit style concourse.
083_resize.jpg

The Municipal House
087_resize.jpg

Powder Tower
088_resize.jpg

Jewish Quarter
091_resize.jpg

Old Jewish cemetery. Bodies are buried ten deep because Jews had no other place to bury bodies for centuries.
093_resize.jpg

The Rudolfinium
094_resize.jpg

095_resize.jpg

096_resize.jpg

Dobrou noc!
097_resize.jpg

102_resize.jpg

i rode these babies when i was visiting back home in odessa. gotta say they're horrible to ride in cuz they are so loud, but definitely indestructible.

thx for the pics!

Oh my God. I heard great things about Prague but it's even more beautiful than I expected. Great pics... I'll have to check it out.

Yes, yes, I get it. :)

But as I have said so often before - bad Architecture is bad Architecture, and this surely qualifies on a number of different levels, regardless of whether it is an example of Modernism or something else. (I doubt if this building would be welcomed anywhere with open arms, but then I've been surprised on that score in many places this year, without naming the obvious.)

On the other side, one might have thought that a Frank Gehry contribution in Prague would never fit in just in general, unless isolated somewhere on the fringes, but it has, in a very odd sort of way. Perhaps this is the result of a combination of similar cladding to nearby buildings, and a less 'over the top' look for a Gehry sculptural abstraction. I compare it to his Toledo (Ohio) Art School building which did the same restrained use of shape with similar cladding to a nearby Museum.

This is all rather grey, subjective, and interpretative - in the final analysis. The locals have apparently fell in love with Fred-and-Ginger, and not the rubbish leftover from the communist period. This time I think they got it right, and what they have not changed is authenic and impressive, even if it were probably not the result of preservationists, but a lack of monies to tear down and rebuild on a massive scale.

Back