News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I could do within the Vespas riding past - how is that legal?
They have since been banned (in Amsterdam at least).

Beez, I think part of the problem is that the activist community in NA is asking for the wrong things. We don't seem to know what good looks like.

At least Mayor Tory uses public transit normally to and from city hall. Unlike Mayor Ford, who only used public transit for photo ops.
Mayor Ford makes every Toronto mayor before and since look better, so that's hardly a glowing endorsement. But I get you.

They remove the parking during rush hours. However, motorists still park. They drop off or pick-up. They leave late or arrive early, so they park. They need their all important "quad long shot grande in a venti cup half calf double cupped no sleeve salted caramel mocha latte with 2 pumps of vanilla substitute 2 pumps of white chocolate mocha for mocha and substitute 2 pumps of hazelnut for toffee nut half whole milk and half breve with no whipped cream extra hot extra foam extra caramel drizzle extra salt add a scoop of vanilla bean powder with light ice well stirred.... oh by the way, I have a free reward."

So really there is no need to remove parking in the curb lane, for whatever reason, because it would be ignored. Just like motorists ignore the painted cycling lanes.

So really there is no need to remove parking in the curb lane, for whatever reason, because it would be ignored. Just like motorists ignore the painted cycling lanes.
Which is why, eventually, you make physical changes to stop parking anywhere not legal - unless they want to completely block the active traffic lane.

Which is why, eventually, you make physical changes to stop parking anywhere not legal - unless they want to completely block the active traffic lane.
They already block traffic on the active lane. See York st south of Bremner as an example

They already block traffic on the active lane. See York st south of Bremner as an example
I thought York south of Bremner still had 2 active lanes in each directions and no bike lanes.

Have they added bike lanes to York?

I don't see people blocking the active lane on Danforth, when there's barriers in the way of the bike lanes.

my experience in the city is that removing curbside parking in peak periods is far from perfect but Toronto has pretty strong enforcement so it does provide a significant amount of extra vehicle capacity.

Removing the curbside parking here is going to impact travel times on the corridor for sure though - the 506 is going to be a lot slower.

I thought York south of Bremner still had 2 active lanes in each directions and no bike lanes.

Have they added bike lanes to York?

I don't see people blocking the active lane on Danforth, when there's barriers in the way of the bike lanes.
I think I misunderstood. There are two acitve lanes in both directions on that section of York. It is very tight (esp going south) as the everyone in the right lane is trying to exit onto the Gardner.

Major report to next week's Infrastructure and Environment Ctte with the recommended 2022-2024 cycling program.

Report here: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.IE26.9

Maps:

1637852131910.png

1637852176058.png

1637852247946.png

Legend for the Map:

1637852541785.png

1637852647459.png

1637852692457.png

1637852728668.png

1637852777467.png

1637852820583.png

1637852855291.png

1637852924080.png

Last edited:
Now we'll see which councillor will veto those recommendations, within the boundaries of their fiefdom, I mean ward.

veto.jpg
From link.

There's nothing likely to be vetoed here (at this point).

The projects with * are in the 2022 work program and the Councillors will have already been looped in on that. As example, extending the Danforth Cycle Track from Dawes to VP is actually the result of a motion to do
so from Councillor Bradford.

Projects beyond 2023 will all have to come back to council at some future point for approval. And some of the those may encounter more headwinds.

The only one I see off-hand on the 2022 list that will get some grief is Knox; but that's not likely from the Councillor, but from Canada Post.

The first virtual public meeting for the reconstruction of Sheppard between Leslie and Bonnington is on December 7 with a second one sometime in February and a report to Council in March. A mailout to area residents has a concept plan that doesn't appear on the project website. The design includes physically separated bike lanes with protected intersections and reduced curve radii. The cycle tracks on Willowdale are proposed to be extended to Sheppard as well.

20211129_225321.jpg

Toronto's best bikeway/cycletrack? Sheppard? ....have a look:

1638383395297.png

Sheppard looking east towards Leslie Street

The City's Plans:

1638383450682.png

Full PDF presentation should be found here in the next few days:

Back