News   Apr 19, 2024
 274     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 539     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 900     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

1631127224849.png

The road in question in actually Cummer Avenue. Old Cummer Avenue is a smaller street to the south. The GO Train station is also called Old Cummer.

Interesting to see that Montreal is removing the kind of 2 way bike lanes that we're about to be installing all along Mill St and The Esplanade.
Montreal has had 2-way bike lanes since the 1990s and on some streets they really work well (or are the only way to create lanes at all.) I doubt many people see them as ideal but they have a place and The Esplanade/Mill corridor may be somewhere they are necessary as the road is really quite narrow and nobody wanted to make the 'ribbon park' to the south (David Crombie) narrower.

Montreal has had 2-way bike lanes since the 1990s and on some streets they really work well (or are the only way to create lanes at all.)

I'm pretty sure there was a 2-way bike lane on de Maisoneuve, west of Decarie, when I lived there in the early 1980s. I didn't have a bike there, so I'm not sure if there were others.

From Mike Layton's staff, on the now-delayed Davenport bike lane/road safety upgrades:

I checked in with Staff to get the latest on their timeline, and they sent me the following. Phase 1, between Bay and Yonge, is actually starting next week, but Bay to Dupont has been delayed until May/June of 2022. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Aviva

From the timeline standpoint, nothing has changed since my last email on June 22, 2021. However, due to the continuous conflict with the active development work zone on the north side of Davenport Rd between Dupont St and Bedford Rd, we had to scope down the installation work a bit. The most recent update is that we are planning for installation of phase 1—the new cycle tracks on Davenport Rd between Bay St and Yonge St—starting next week (weather dependant). The construction notice for phase 1 has gone out already (please see attached for your reference).

This phase might also include an upgrade to the existing NB shared cycling facility on Bay St between Scollard St and Davenport Rd to a dedicated bike lane, for which, we are currently in the discussion with TTC on resolving some minor issues.

As I know many others are increasingly pointed out, I'm getting right sick and tired of councillors perpetually deferring to Staff. Off the top of my head, in Mike's ward in the last 12 months, this is at least the third major bike safety improvement project that has been delayed, in addition to him listening to Staff tell them why they can't or shouldn't do anything in response to the literal deaths of people on Christie and Avenue in two separate incidents.

Time for so-called progressiveness to find their feet and do some f***ing work or get out of the way for people who actually know how to get shit done.

From Mike Layton's staff, on the now-delayed Davenport bike lane/road safety upgrades:

As I know many others are increasingly pointed out, I'm getting right sick and tired of councillors perpetually deferring to Staff. Off the top of my head, in Mike's ward in the last 12 months, this is at least the third major bike safety improvement project that has been delayed, in addition to him listening to Staff tell them why they can't or shouldn't do anything in response to the literal deaths of people on Christie and Avenue in two separate incidents.

Time for so-called progressiveness to find their feet and do some f***ing work or get out of the way for people who actually know how to get shit done.

Agreed. Without diminishing the above at all; I would share that a major management plan for a major park in Toronto is more than 2 full years overdue..........

That, in turn, is the excuse for others to delay implementing capital projects " because we're waiting on the plan"

The problem of excuses from staff and consultants is mind-blowing...........

Likewise, the endless delays for the new stairs from Dundas which were held up by Mx for years.

Councillors/The Mayor put up with BS from staff, who abide it from each other, and other agencies.........to no end.

The idea of actually saying to someone 'Not later, now, or else' seems beyond the reach of too many.

Back