News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 823     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I could see a dedicated off-road multi use path, yes. But allowing cyclists on the street itself is not going to help anyone.

That is what's proposed. Though not immediately, and not for the entire route as I recall.

That is what's proposed. Though not immediately, and not for the entire route as I recall.
The bicycle trail/pedestrian walkway could follow the Black Creek itself, not the roadway. Using a permeable surface, along with dry wells to help in flood control.

Someone's life would have been saved if the people running this city did something for once. It's absolutely pathetic and every single councilor and the mayor should be ashamed of themselves.

Wider sidewalks an bikes lanes would have given an 18 year old a real-life to live.

https://www.cp24.com/news/18-year-o...by-cement-truck-in-downtown-toronto-1.5552638

On the subject of this story; while not in any way disagreeing with the need for better infra...........

I saw this on Twitter............

1629408626597.png

I dislike the conversation that suggests cyclists are all right and motorists are all wrong. Professional drivers are very well trained. The fact is with thousands of pounds of momentum you can't expect them to stop on a dime. We don't know the details of this particular accident, it's not a happy situation for anybody. All of a sudden all these advocates are live on telly whining about their solutions, notice no one is interviewing representatives of the construction industry. As a cyclist, I give all hgv's a very wide berth especially at intersections where you can't see their indicator lights and they have blinds spots all over the place.

I dislike the conversation that suggests cyclists are all right and motorists are all wrong. Professional drivers are very well trained. The fact is with thousands of pounds of momentum you can't expect them to stop on a dime. We don't know the details of this particular accident, it's not a happy situation for anybody. All of a sudden all these advocates are live on telly whining about their solutions, notice no one is interviewing representatives of the construction industry. As a cyclist, I give all hgv's a very wide berth especially at intersections where you can't see their indicator lights and they have blinds spots all over the place.
These people are not professional drivers. Like look around for one second and watch how cement truck drivers drive. They are fing hooligans driving around 40-60 thousand pounds acting like they are on highways on every single city street

The lions' share on blame lies with those responsible for designing and funding infrastructure in this city. There is incredible degree of negligence and wanton disregard for life in how our streets are designed for safety.

The lions' share on blame lies with those responsible for designing and funding infrastructure in this city. There is incredible degree of negligence and wanton disregard for life in how our streets are designed for safety.
Very true.

The city streets were originally designed for the slower pace of people actually walking on the streets, horses walking, and cyclists rolling along. Cars were able to speed along faster than them, which is why speed limits were invented, along with traffic signs for those motorists. Then someone thought it would be a good idea to apply those same rules to people, horses, and cyclists. Unfortunately, horses don't know how to read, so they disappeared from the streets. Motorists would love it if the people and cyclists would get out of their way from the streets they expropriated for their own use.

I started by photo-tour/walk today at St. George Station, and it occurred to me to document what the cycling infra looks like there now: (August 20th, 2021)

1629487569864.png

And why do we need physical separation class? LOL Lets look west to see:

1629487614529.png

1629487632035.png

The bit in front of OISE here has a super-wide buffer, given all the road work I'm unclear why they didn't streetscape/landscape this bit

1629487687206.png

I started by photo-tour/walk today at St. George Station, and it occurred to me to document what the cycling infra looks like there now: (August 20th, 2021)

View attachment 342969

And why do we need physical separation class? LOL Lets look west to see:

View attachment 342970

View attachment 342971

The bit in front of OISE here has a super-wide buffer, given all the road work I'm unclear why they didn't streetscape/landscape this bit

View attachment 342972
The road's watermain from Spadina-Avenue will be upgraded in 2022. They just repaved the road in the meantime because the road was in very poor condition. I believe the final configuration of Bloor Street will be a raised cycle track and a protected intersection at St. George/Bloor

^It's a start. I would also like to see the right turn lanes removed and some of the curbs to be bumped out further to slow turning drivers. There's also more than enough room on the shoulders for wider sidewalks and trees. Pedestrian refugee islands in the middle of the crossings would be nice as well.

^It's a start. I would also like to see the right turn lanes removed and some of the curbs to be bumped out further to slow turning drivers. There's also more than enough room on the shoulders for wider sidewalks and trees. Pedestrian refugee islands in the middle of the crossings would be nice as well.
2012guidance_medianrefugeisland.jpg

bellvuewa.jpg

See link.

Back