News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 865     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

So EELRT should generate cycling facilities on Kingston Road (Eglinton to Morningside); and on Morningside. (ideally on Eglinton East as well, though that will require some property taking in spots.
Let's hope the city puts together funding and finds funding partners for the EELRT. I really hope it happens, because it would be nice to see higher-order transit more broadly in Scarborough.

The Esplanade & Mill St bike tracks move onward: "Implementation of Phase 1 (Mill Street and The Esplanade east of Sherbourne Street) will follow in late 2021. Changes to intersections such as turn restrictions at Front St E and Market St and The Esplanade and Jarvis St will be implemented this summer. More details on our project webpage, www.toronto.ca/esplanademill . "

In the same Tweet, mention is made of building more of the Finch Hydro Corridor Trail from Pharmacy to Birchmount.

Thats been in the works for years. Was supposed to already be done but theres feet dragging going on

As per the Toronto site

May 2021​

The City continues to work on finalizing legal agreements with utility providers that have infrastructure in the vicinity of the trail.

The time needed to complete these agreements has not been determined and will defer the project until further notice. Once the agreements have been finalized, the City will issue a Construction Update notice to the public with a revised construction schedule.

In the same Tweet, mention is made of building more of the Finch Hydro Corridor Trail from Pharmacy to Birchmount.
This section has been in the works for years, and every year construction keeps getting pushed back. The City keeps saying the legal agreements are the reason for the delay. What makes this section any different from other parts of the Finch Corridor, or other utility corridors, where similar legal agreements exist? If the local councillor actually pushed for it, the agreements would be signed in no time. Unfortunately Karygiannis didn't do much, and now doesn't seem like Mantas is doing much either.

Changes on Cherry St etc due to Don River work. See:
Port Lands Flood Protection - Lake Shore Boulevard East Trail and Lower Don Trail Construction Closures and Detour Routes

2. City Council authorize the installation of temporary cycle tracks on the following sections of roadway, as described in Attachment 3 - Designated Cycle Tracks, from September 1, 2021 to December 31, 2024:

a. Cherry Street (from a point 134.5 metres south of Mill Street and Lake Shore Boulevard East metres north);

b. Villiers Street (from Cherry Street to Saulter Street South);

c. Saulter Street South (from Villiers Street to Commissioners Street ); and

d. Commissioners Street (from Saulter Street South to Carlaw Avenue).

Changes on Cherry St etc due to Don River work. See:
Port Lands Flood Protection - Lake Shore Boulevard East Trail and Lower Don Trail Construction Closures and Detour Routes

2. City Council authorize the installation of temporary cycle tracks on the following sections of roadway, as described in Attachment 3 - Designated Cycle Tracks, from September 1, 2021 to December 31, 2024:

a. Cherry Street (from a point 134.5 metres south of Mill Street and Lake Shore Boulevard East metres north);

b. Villiers Street (from Cherry Street to Saulter Street South);

c. Saulter Street South (from Villiers Street to Commissioners Street ); and

d. Commissioners Street (from Saulter Street South to Carlaw Avenue).

Lets cover it all in glue and make it permanent!

And for people like me who like pretty pictures: from the link above:

Attachment 1 - Proposed Cycling Detour Route - Phase 1
1624631435812.png

Attachment 2 - Proposed Cycling Detour Route - Phase 2
1624631501855.png

In a report to the July 5th meeting of the Infrastructure and Envrionment Ctte, approval of the E.A. and conceptual design for the new access between the Leaside/Don Mills Rail Trail and the Eglinton Crosstown community is recommended.

Report here:

Renders below:

View attachment 330375

View attachment 330381

View attachment 330382

View attachment 330383

Really nice that the Leaside Spur trail doesnt just deadend to nowhere,

however, would be nice to have a better trail connection to the rest of the Don network. The current "connection" is barely that, using a commercial space that I dont think is even technically legal.

Something like this would be better, theres a small ravine next to the spur that could drop you off to Edward Gardens trail.

1624639119447.png

Really nice that the Leaside Spur trail doesnt just deadend to nowhere,

however, would be nice to have a better trail connection to the rest of the Don network. The current "connection" is barely that, using a commercial space that I dont think is even technically legal.

Something like this would be better, theres a small ravine next to the spur that could drop you off to Edward Gardens trail.

View attachment 330394

I sympathize w/the desire.

But a cursory look suggests to me that location isn't feasible w/o redevelopment of that site.

The creek there is deeply embanked/sloped.

The driveway (private) is narrow, up against the slope on one side and over-full parking on the other.

Though further north, and not at the southern tip of the trail, this looks to be the most feasible connection to me:

1624639951649.png

Still needs to be acquired.

But its open land, no obvious user conflicts, the grade is gentle, no ecological concerns, and there is a path into the valley directly opposite.

Using Streetview, one can see the route I note below is now encroached on, either by parking lot enlargement or vegetative growth.

But it still looks do-able to me with minimal disruption.

1624640218923.png

Longer term, I believe the existing 'informal' connection to Leslie can be regularized through redevelopment.

While a new trail into the Don, at that point is unlikely, there should be sufficient room in the Leslie ROW for a multi-use, off-road path running south to the existing Park entrance.

That room has been secured further south:

Leslie ROW runs to the pink line on the right/east side of the picture:

1624640695941.png

1624640731916.png

1624640772706.png

Then narrows here:

1624640811531.png

But the way in which buildings are set back, plus the vacant land here, makes it fairly easy to make that happen.

(alternatively one could implement cycle tracks)

1624640925527.png

Last edited:
I sympathize w/the desire.

But a cursory look suggest to me that location isn't feasible w/o redevelopment of that site.

The creek there is deeply embanked/sloped.

The driveway (private) is narrow, up against the slope on one side and over-full parking on the other.

Though further north, and not at the southern tip of the trail, this looks to be the most feasible connection to me:

View attachment 330396

But its open land, no obvious user conflicts, the grade is gentle, no ecological concerns, and there is a path into the valley directly opposite.

Using Streetview, one can see the route I note below is now encroached on, either by parking lot enlargement or vegetative growth.

But it still looks do-able to me with minimal disruption.

View attachment 330398

Longer term, I believe the existing 'informal' connection to Leslie can be regularized through redevelopment.

While a new trail into the Don, at that point is unlikely, there should be sufficient room in the Leslie ROW for a multi-use, off-road path running south to the existing Park entrance.

That room has been secured further south:

Leslie ROW runs to the pink line on the right/east side of the picture:

View attachment 330399

View attachment 330400

View attachment 330401

Then narrows here:

View attachment 330402

But way in which buildings are set back, plus the vacant land here, makes it fairly easy to make that happen.

(alternatively one could implement cycle tracks)

View attachment 330403

Totally cool with anything. Just needs a better connection.

There are lots of these in the whole Toronto trail network. Little parts that if done would complete a huge trail network.

View attachment 330396

I think this might be a better and more efficient connection. There's already a connection to Overland Dr. Add a signalized intersection to Overland/Leslie and put a Multiuse path onto the West side of Leslie. The road is already wide enough to accommodate it without losing any lanes of traffic.

1624644495516.png

As for the unofficial connection at the south end of the trail I thought I remember reading somewhere that any development that takes place on that property has to accommodate that connection. I can't find that now but I am sure I read that somewhere.

What is a 'closed path'?

The existing trail will be closed (off limits) during reconstruction of this section of Lakeshore and the takedown of the Gardiner on/off ramps to Logan.

Portions will be removed for reconstruction, others will remain, but are needed for equipment and materials for the work on adjacent areas.

Back