News   Apr 18, 2024
 292     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

The Bayview tracks are excellent. It is such an obvious piece of infrastructure that it feels natural for it to be there. I used to hate taking Bayview when there were no lanes because you needed to have eyes on all sides. The curved hill was the worst because you'd be going very slow relative to traffic. Still, preferable to the Don River Trail, which I find is way too busy for cyclists.

Now it feels like a proper dutch highway up to York Mills.

The trail still has some major pain points:
  • The P-gates at Pottery (easily the worst railway crossing in the city)
  • The trail crossing at Pottery (so many more cyclists use this than cars, but it's the cyclists who have to wait, and visibility is very poor)
  • The Bridge under Don Mills Rd (too narrow and sharp -- seen some good head-on wipeouts here)
  • The narrow ramp down into ET Seton Park next to the rail tracks (downhill and narrow)
  • The slog up to Leslie and connection to the Don Mills Trail (feels third-world)
  • The whole stretch between York Mills and Duncan Mill (no infrastructure whatsoever)

The additions of those cycle tracks as a part of the Esplanade project are actually huge --- that'll be a big and useful addition to the protected network. Right now, it's not a particularly nice/safe ride from the West Donlands to the Distillery (or vice versa), and this will completely transform that.
Though I fully support the Mill/Esplanade proposals I really do not understand your statement "Right now, it's not a particularly nice/safe ride from the West Donlands to the Distillery (or vice versa), " The west Don Lands are on the east side of Cherry Street and the Distillery is on the east immediately across the street and there is a fairly decent bike lane along Mill Street and through this intersection. The plans will do little to deal with crossing Cherry, if that's your point.

Though I fully support the Mill/Esplanade proposals I really do not understand your statement "Right now, it's not a particularly nice/safe ride from the West Donlands to the Distillery (or vice versa), " The west Don Lands are on the east side of Cherry Street and the Distillery is on the east immediately across the street and there is a fairly decent bike lane along Mill Street and through this intersection. The plans will do little to deal with crossing Cherry, if that's your point.

Ah yes, that would be because where I typed “Distillery” I was thinking “St. Lawrence.”

Reactions: DSC
Finally, improvements for the cycle tracks on Bloor St W/E between Avenue Road and Church are implemented now. All the way to the viaduct known as the death trap is receiving upgrades as well - later this year hopefully. More details from Layton’s office:

”Yes, the new design between Church and Avenue is currently being installed, and should be complete early next week. The reconfiguration will allow for the planter and concrete-curb protected lanes to run adjacent to the curb, and loading areas and some parking spots will be placed on the outside of the bike lanes.

The pavement markings contractor was supposed to begin pre-marks for the new roadway markings last night, but I'm not sure if that happened because of the rain. They will start installation of the pavement markings as soon as Sunday, and then barrier installation will start right after. Becky and Dave can let you know if they're able to share drawings that provide additional details.

Cycling Staff are also working on plans for temporary upgrades to the existing bike lanes on Bloor, between Sherbourne and Broadview. A permanent design (including a reconfiguration of the Bloor/Parliament intersection) will be implemented in a few years, in conjunction with watermain and road reconstruction work.

I am not sure if Staff are ready to share any materials related to the interim design, but I will let Becky and Owen (who I have copied) confirm. I can let you know that the design will likely involve vehicular lane reductions on Bloor and further protection of the existing lanes, and that consultation and implementation for the first phase of work will start in the next couple of months.”

Finally, improvements for the cycle tracks on Bloor St W/E between Avenue Road and Church are implemented now. All the way to the viaduct known as the death trap is receiving upgrades as well - later this year hopefully. More details from Layton’s office:

”Yes, the new design between Church and Avenue is currently being installed, and should be complete early next week. The reconfiguration will allow for the planter and concrete-curb protected lanes to run adjacent to the curb, and loading areas and some parking spots will be placed on the outside of the bike lanes.

The pavement markings contractor was supposed to begin pre-marks for the new roadway markings last night, but I'm not sure if that happened because of the rain. They will start installation of the pavement markings as soon as Sunday, and then barrier installation will start right after. Becky and Dave can let you know if they're able to share drawings that provide additional details.

Cycling Staff are also working on plans for temporary upgrades to the existing bike lanes on Bloor, between Sherbourne and Broadview. A permanent design (including a reconfiguration of the Bloor/Parliament intersection) will be implemented in a few years, in conjunction with watermain and road reconstruction work.

I am not sure if Staff are ready to share any materials related to the interim design, but I will let Becky and Owen (who I have copied) confirm. I can let you know that the design will likely involve vehicular lane reductions on Bloor and further protection of the existing lanes, and that consultation and implementation for the first phase of work will start in the next couple of months.”

Excellent news!

And, to follow-up, pre-markings have, in fact, begun:

1622246002286.png

A video link here to have a view of a new section of bike path up along Highland Creek running roughly from Ellesmere to Morningside Park.

I gather its not officially open yet as there is some more work to do, but its clearly being used!

Looks great!

The local Councillor for this area is Councillor Ainslie........he would also like to continue to trail on to the Centennial College campus.

1622246463091.png

I'm not sure what Becky Katz is saying on this..............I do know the TRCA views this as a low priority.

That's because they left it out of the big Trails Strategy; the consequential matter being that it is almost certainly the TRCA who would build this trail.

There are some legitimate issues around cost (several bridges); inclines (its a narrow corridor in spots with limited room to do a level-ish trail; and because the space is relatively small the further the 'Markham Branch' of Highland Creek goes, the greater the relative ecological impact.

All that said, I think the route makes a good deal of sense.

One suggestion I might offer the councillor is to begin by approaching it from the other direction and getting small chunks built.

There is an access that comes down from Centennial College, but it goes nowhere; I can see a fairly feasible way to get it across the creek doing only modest damage; and then up to Woburn Park on the other side.

It would be a very modest achievement in short-term, but would provide some proper access to the valley for residents of Tuxedo Court.

Getting that segment built, with one bridge, would reduce future complexity and cost.

1622247668819.png

Above the red line is a conceptual trail link (I have not ground-truthed this, its been quite a while since I walked it, but looking at the aerials and the topo maps, it looks feasible.)

The lime green indicates a bridge.

While the darker green circles sloped land owned by the City that is part of the valley but currently mowed either as landscape by TCHC or Parks as part of Woburn Park.

I note with interest, there is a proposal for a new building on Tuxedo Court, said building will have a parks requirement, and probably section 37/Community Benefits.

That might just pay for this trail......

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's going on here at Church and Richmond? Seems quite dangerous to redirect traffic directly into the streetcar tracks.

View attachment 325359
Though this closure seems like overkill to me, they WERE painting more of the bike track with green paint a day or so ago and adding colour to the ends of the concrete barriers. Maybe they are doing more????

*Flag* Presentation/Public meeting coming on Thursday June 10 for Mid-Humber Trail Gap project.

Very important if this interests you to submit feedback; as there is only 1 good choice on the table, and there's 1 terrible choice.

So feedback is required by June 21st.

Presentation is already online in 2 parts.

Part 1: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/9841-MHG-PIC1-Presentation-Part1.pdf
Part 2: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/980d-MHG-PIC1-Presentation-Part2.pdf

Project Page; https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...tructure-projects/mid-humber-gap-trail-study/

Feedback link: https://s.cotsurvey.chkmkt.com/MidHumberGap

From the Presentation:

1623006999518.png

1A is a far better route than the others.

3A is just nonsense, entirely on-road and hugely inconvenient.

2A isn't great either, just less bad than 3A.

1623007172257.png

2A below, is pricey and has issues w/how the infra will be built and maintained.

1623007255687.png

1623007307330.png

I love the public art on these barriers. It add a lot of visual interest. Hopefully they stand up to wear!

In other news, I was pleasantly surprised to discover during my ride today that Peel is rehabbing a good stretch of Erin Mills to add a multi-use path and eliminate many of the channelized right turns.

Current work between 403 and Britannia:

Most of the way between QEW and 403 completed last year:

Back