News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

You mean the moped/scooter style?

Now there comes the minor issue of enforcement.
I simply quoted (cut and pasted) the official synopsis of the Bill but they are clearly going to divide 'e-bikes; into 3 sub-categories. Enforcement is obviously going to be an issue but a change in the law is a good first start.

Motorcycles clearly should be excluded from bike lanes, and pedelecs/e-bikes should be allowed. I think reasonable people might disagree on the e-moped/scooter variety. I think they should be out.

I think as long as they are governed to 32kmh and a specific weight class, e-mopeds should be allowed personally.

In Europe, they tend to limit the curb lane to 30 km/h, no matter the vehicle. Side residential streets are also limited to 30 km/h for everyone, with YIELD signs instead of STOP signs at non-arterial intersections.
The entire borough of Islington in London, minus some of the arterials managed by TfL, is a 20mph/30kph zone ("twenty is plenty"). Side streets, community collectors, arterials, etc.

These would be useful for allowing easier cycling within the suburbs. There are side streets near Dundas that provide nicer cycling, but there are several barriers that really limit mobility unless you are quite comfortable cycling in traffic:
  • The 427
  • Mimico Creek (to a lesser extent)
  • Credit River
  • The 403
  • 16 Mile Creek
  • Bronte Creek (by far the worse one)
There are multi-use paths in areas, but these barriers are very noticeable when you are trying to get around. North-South across the QEW is another big one that needs to be addressed.
Dundas is the main thoroughfare, and if you come up from the Waterfront trail north across the Ogden Bridge across the QEW and up the Stanfield bike lanes, the most natural area to head east is Dundas.

Bike lanes in this area couldn't come soon enough, particularly under/around highway 427 where drivers lose visibility with the shadows of the overpass, and the cyclist is forced to move over 2 lanes of traffic because the lanes exit to the freeway (drivers speeding up), so you have cars on both sides of you going 80KM/H with the shadows of the 427 from above. Most dangerous place to cycle in Toronto.

Also, on Dundas in Mississauga/Etobicoke, the further most right lane is a 3+ HOV lane, and I can't really find anything online whether Mississauga (and Toronto) actually allow cyclists to be in that lane on Dundas, but it's definitely not safe to be in the middle lane. The bus drivers always give me a look for being in that lane, though.

Motorcycles clearly should be excluded from bike lanes, and pedelecs/e-bikes should be allowed. I think reasonable people might disagree on the e-moped/scooter variety. I think they should be out.
I don’t see why the engine type makes a difference. Many in this thread and on UT gush over the bike lanes in the Netherlands, but there they don’t care if you’re on a gas-powered Vespa or a battery powered ebike, they’re all allowed on the bike paths provided they keep their speed below about 35 kph.

I don’t see why the engine type makes a difference. Many in this thread and on UT gush over the bike lanes in the Netherlands, but there they don’t care if you’re on a gas-powered Vespa or a battery powered ebike, they’re all allowed on the bike paths provided they keep their speed below about 35 kph.
...or human, or on a horse.

bicycle-horse-path-trees-istock-credit-rogergroocock-532683189-2400.webp

From link.

bike_path.jpg

From link.

(F.Y.I. "Bridal Path" is defined in the dictionary as "a path or track used for horseback riding".)

Last edited:
...or human, or on a horse.

From link.
From link.

(F.Y.I. "Bridal Path" is defined as "a path or track used for horseback riding".)
If you’re going to preach definitions to us please make an attempt at accuracy.

This could be considered a bridal path, a path for brides to walk on.

PRI_148782060.jpg

Perhaps you’re referring to a bridle path?

Last edited:
In Amsterdam at least, mopeds have been banned from cycle paths.

Keep the horses out! If I can't poop in the bike lanes, why should my tax dollars pay for someone else to?
The Toronto Police mounted unit often rides through my neighbourhood. You know they‘ve been by because of the piles of poop on the road and paths.

In Amsterdam at least, mopeds have been banned from cycle paths.
When did that happen? I was there a couple of years ago and there was a lot of talk about it. I have a friend who lives in Amsterdam, and there was a lot of hate for motorized anything’s in the bike lane.

When did that happen? I was there a couple of years ago and there was a lot of talk about it. I have a friend who lives in Amsterdam, and there was a lot of hate for motorized anything’s in the bike lane.
April 8, 2019.

Back