News   Mar 28, 2024
 210     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Tender out for what appears to be a 1 block extension of the Eglinton Avenue West multi-use path to the east.

I say appears, because the tender reads as extending the trail from Jane (where it ends now) to Glen Valley Drive, which best I can tell does not in fact meet Eglinton.

Upon examination of the road in the area, via Streetview, its my opinion that this is an extension of the trail from Jane to the access roads into the valley parks/golf course.

1611328378073.png

Tender out for what appears to be a 1 block extension of the Eglinton Avenue West multi-use path to the east.

I say appears, because the tender reads as extending the trail from Jane (where it ends now) to Glen Valley Drive, which best I can tell does not in fact meet Eglinton.

Upon examination of the road in the area, via Streetview, its my opinion that this is an extension of the trail from Jane to the access roads into the valley parks/golf course.

View attachment 295494

What we'll get...

View attachment 295494
The trail is planned to run along the north side of Eglinton from Jane, then cut up through Pearen Park to Pearen street behind the houses along Eglinton. Or at least that was my understanding. Not sure why they are saying that it terminates at Glenvalley.

There will still be a small gap between the trail and the Eglinton Connects plan, which ends at Weston Rd. not sure how that gap is planned to be closed.

Survey up on the City's website concerning the Danforth Complete Street (including Cycle Track); and the Planning study covering the Broadview to Coxwell portion.

You can skip the Planning portion if you wish.

Total survey time is a bit long at 15-20m.

So if you want to support the Bike lanes, this would be a good time to do that.

Also a chance to submit suggestions on how to further refine/improve this project.

On the complete street:

My suggestions were to make bump-outs standard at every side street making room for parklets with any boulevard parking removed in favour of same.

Also need to block extremely problematic left turns at unsignaled intersections (mid-road barrier) (done nicely)

On the Planning Study:

I suggested greater as-of-right heights at major intersections and over subway stations and a transition zone that goes further north/south of Danforth.

Also the need to require that podiums of larger buildings be visually articulated as if they were smaller buildings by varying material/colour.
There were a couple of patios on Bloor W that attempted to replicate the ones on Danforth. The Bloor ones had wider lanes around the patios, and I think Danforth needs those, since it's almost impossible to pass people safely.

The trail is planned to run along the north side of Eglinton from Jane, then cut up through Pearen Park to Pearen street behind the houses along Eglinton. Or at least that was my understanding. Not sure why they are saying that it terminates at Glenvalley.

There will still be a small gap between the trail and the Eglinton Connects plan, which ends at Weston Rd. not sure how that gap is planned to be closed.
Like this?
There is excess space (around 3m) and wider lanes that can be reduced on the north side of Eglinton that we can use to put a raised or protected two-way cycle track.
Eglinton-Ps.png

Meeting Weston Road, the Southbound to Westbound slip lane would have to be removed or blocked, which is a plus. Then meeting the crosswalks, there would be a mixing zone cautioning cyclists to take it slower.
Westbound cyclists would simply continue in to the trail, Eastbound cyclists would turn right then left to continue east.
Eglinton-Weston.png

This method doesn't remove lanes and uses existing space.

Attachments

• Eglinton-P.png
    Eglinton-P.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
Metrolinx is building it between Avenue and Yonge, as well as directly atop the intersections near stations.

The city is supposed to identify funding for the gaps, but it predictably is yet to do so.

Metrolinx is building it between Avenue and Yonge, as well as directly atop the intersections near stations.

The city is supposed to identify funding for the gaps, but it predictably is yet to do so.

There is some 'Eglinton Connects' money in this year's budget; but nowhere near the full amount.

1611583314313.png

That's this year and next under the cash flows.

Found another chunk of the money.......

Under 'Capital Needs Constraints' .............sooo, unfunded.............

Penciled in though as cash-flowing from 2027-2030 were the money in hand.

That's really odd timing.

1611583450628.png

What percentage of this is cycling vs streetscape or other works I'm not clear on.

Last edited:

Back