News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 510     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I found this great story on twitter about how an SUV family turned into a year round bicycle family.

I wish the city would line every bike lane with these types of blocks - is that feasible?

The City's position is that physical separation is only possible on bike lanes where there is already a painted buffer (the reasons given for this are inconsistent and easily troubleshot). Since Becky Katz started, though, they've been whittling away at their own justification (and it should be noted that the Cycling and Transportation departments don't always see eye to eye on this sort of thing) which has led them to install physical separation on narrower painted buffers (like River St. in front of the Timmies and portions of Dundas E.). This is obviously a very welcome (if obvious and overdue) development.

Advocates had been trying for years to get concrete barriers added to Strachan, Harbord, Hoskin, Lansdowne, Richmond and other stretches where the City has recently finally added them, and all of that has happened under Becky's watch. Her predecessors, especially Shawn Dillon, were harmfully useless (at best), so her leadership is an extremely welcome development.

Short gap filled for the Waterfront Trail.

Now, imagine how much nicer that could be; IF, the Kingston Rd. concrete median were removed here, the streetlights moved to the sides, and room for a tree-lined buffer from the road was added.

For reference, this is one of the photos from Becky Katz Twitter, linked in the above post:

1605929041461.png

Last edited:
While we're at it.........this 1.5ha section of land could be acquired by the City, for a whole lot less the Rail Deck Park..........LOL.......

But create something amazing.

1605928698863.png

It would link the City-Owned Harrison Properties, with Rosetta McClain Gardens.

It would, more germane to this thread; create (potentially) 369M of new Waterfront Trail (designated); but in reality, the 'Trail' on the Harrison Properties is little more than a desire line; so you could actually gain ~550M.

We're a small number of homes removed on the east side of Rosetta; you could link this with Scarborough Heights Park and add 1.1km of Trail!

Now, imagine how much nicer that could be; IF, the Kingston Rd. concrete median were removed here, the streetlights moved to side, and room for a tree-lined buffer from the road was added.

I think with the way development is coming along on Kingston—this area will become a major midrise corridor in the next however many years. And this will bring pedestrian, cycling and other public realm improvements. Reminds me of Queensway a bit.

harmfully useless

Nice phrase! I am stealing that to use in all sorts of contexts.

I think with the way development is coming along on Kingston—this area will become a major midrise corridor in the next however many years. And this will bring pedestrian, cycling and other public realm improvements. Reminds me of Queensway a bit.

That's the can-do spirit.

I'm nominating you to be chief lobbyist in favour of same!

Every idea needs its passionate advocate!

Albeit at a glacial pace; we are moving a bit closer to filling in the Humber Gap in the Bike Trail system.

A report went to the TRCA Board of Directors meeting on November 20th seeking approval to proceed with an Environmental Assessment for the project.

Report link here:

Tentative schedule is start work early in 2021 and complete the EA by November of next year.

1606136734243.png

Albeit at a glacial pace; we are moving a bit closer to filling in the Humber Gap in the Bike Trail system.

A report went to the TRCA Board of Directors meeting on November 20th seeking approval to proceed with an Environmental Assessment for the project.

Report link here:

Tentative schedule is start work early in 2021 and complete the EA by November of next year.

View attachment 284459

Good to see - that current jog that cyclists are forced to endure is ridiculous.

Back