News   Apr 18, 2024
 426     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

LOL, there's a new Masterplan for Centennial on its way.

New capital dollars are coming.

But before you go dissing it too hard............how many citiies do you think have any parks with this facility list:

View attachment 264775

Its also 212ha or 525 acres which is more than 25% larger than High Park.

Its not sooo bad ya know.

Sometimes we take too many things in Toronto for granted.

18 acres from High Park and 10 acres from Grenadier Pond were removed for the construction of The Queensway.

LOL, there's a new Masterplan for Centennial on its way.

New capital dollars are coming.

But before you go dissing it too hard............how many citiies do you think have any parks with this facility list:

View attachment 264775

Its also 212ha or 525 acres which is more than 25% larger than High Park.

Its not sooo bad ya know.

Sometimes we take too many things in Toronto for granted.

For the record, I never said it was bad. It's a nice park, and does have a number of features. My issue is that given its large size, there are a number of obvious things missing that other parks get right. There are way too many large areas that are just mowed grass that don't give people a reason to linger. Its potential is huge and it should be continually improved, but like so many public spaces in this city has been somewhat neglected for far too long. It deserves a solid upgrade and I'm happy to see that there is at least a plan to do so. I'm kind of confused by the proposed removal of the skiiing facilities and wading pool however...

I'm kind of confused by the proposed removal of the skiiing facilities and wading pool however...

Centennial Park 2020 Background Review
Ski Hill Review
2018 SKI HILL ASSESSMENT
•Unstable settling slope
•Major infrastructure improvements required

RECOMMENDATIONS :
•Programming and services should cease when operation becomes inviable
•Consolidate programing at Earl Bales Snow Centre
•Enhance year round use of ski chalet
•Vision for future use

As to the wading pool, that's easy, the City hates those, as they require life guards.

They like spash pads, those don't.

Centennial Park 2020 Background Review
Ski Hill Review
2018 SKI HILL ASSESSMENT
•Unstable settling slope
•Major infrastructure improvements required

RECOMMENDATIONS :
•Programming and services should cease when operation becomes inviable
•Consolidate programing at Earl Bales Snow Centre
•Enhance year round use of ski chalet
•Vision for future use

As to the wading pool, that's easy, the City hates those, as they require life guards.

They like spash pads, those don't.

It's that kind of cheap, myopic thinking that drives me crazy about the city bureaucrats. Wading pools offer a different, and usually better, experience than splash pads do. There's no reason why we can't have both, and I hate seeing wading pools being removed. So what if they require the presence of a minimum-wage paid teenager? It's worth the expense.

I wonder if there are public details regarding the "unstable settling slope" - I'd be very interested to see the findings that led to that conclusion...

For the record, I never said it was bad. It's a nice park, and does have a number of features. My issue is that given its large size, there are a number of obvious things missing that other parks get right. There are way too many large areas that are just mowed grass that don't give people a reason to linger. Its potential is huge and it should be continually improved, but like so many public spaces in this city has been somewhat neglected for far too long. It deserves a solid upgrade and I'm happy to see that there is at least a plan to do so. I'm kind of confused by the proposed removal of the skiiing facilities and wading pool however...

The skiing hill is literally a garbage dump. In fact, a lot of the parks (and landfill) in Toronto were garbage dumps at one point in time.

• Haha
Reactions: max
More related to the Destination Danforth project, but they have started the artistic curb extensions. This is at Woodycrest.

6DBF38FB-512F-4D08-85C9-A3AD2F2B6B70.jpeg

This is more or less totally useless unless they add bollards (and if those are still to-come, the City should be replicating this all over the place).
Could be rumble strips/bumpers. Bollards would likely get crushed.

Back