News   Apr 19, 2024
 112     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 467     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 812     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I can't see how this person could have made a mistake so they must have been trying to make a point?

20200624_Imagepipe_0.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: max
The dark blue Hyundai is owned by a lady working at the courthouse or attending a trial. She said that she knows that she is parking in the wrong lane. However, the “parking lanes” feels unsafe for her. Everyone seems to get it, but looks poor entitlement to me.

The dark blue Hyundai is owned by a lady working at the courthouse or attending a trial. She said that she knows that she is parking in the wrong lane. However, the “parking lanes” feels unsafe for her. Everyone seems to get it, but looks poor entitlement to me.

Tow the car!

If you don't feel safe parking on the street; don't. Use an off-street garage!

The irony of the City providing nice, wide cycle tracks is that they're so wide that drivers can (and do, obviously) quite easily drive in. I think at the start of each block they need something like this, on the West Side Highway in NYC, but here with just a single flexi-post right in the middle.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 3.14.50 PM.png

I can't see how this person could have made a mistake so they must have been trying to make a point?
Drivers who park in a bike lane don't just do it by mistake. They know what they're doing. The only point being made here (aside from highlighting the inadequacy of our bike infrastructure) is to demonstrate to the world how little the individual in question cares about the safely of cyclists or anyone else on the road, compared to themselves and their convenient parking.

Hello, neighbour! I live right on Shaw and you're right, it's definitely quieter since the changes (and it is indeed certainly a shit show; I'd say roughly 40-50% of drivers are ignoring the new paint and signage and are going the wrong way -- I've seen a few verbal shouting matches and one fist fight in the last week!).

They do, indeed, still have a bit of work left to do -- interestingly, you can see in the image below the bike markings they're slated to put down where the new direction change has been implemented, to account for the fact that the contra-flow switches to the other side of the road at this point:

View attachment 253716

For a few dollars more they could have put in a raised intersection and replace the STOP sign with a YIELD sign. A raised intersection would FORCE the motorists to slow down without sign clutter.

raised-intersections.jpg

From link.

Now that I’ve got a good bike I’ve been doing a lot more riding around. I’ve downloaded this new app that tracked me from Sumach and Spruce. I got lost onto A mountain bike trail on the belt line, but otherwise had a good run. The new separated lanes on University are top grade.

78AF0678-0012-4011-AB99-A810A88971B3.png

5789883C-0D27-4B3B-90C3-59761244D89A.png

I still can’t believe that the bike lane at the Northeast corner of River and Dundas remains unprotected, with no guidance to automobile users of how to safely make a right turn here.

5123A28B-7E5E-476E-869A-CC451AB3065E.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been seeing various posts about this car all day, on Twitter and elsewhere. They were there yesterday, and apparently are quite clueless.

We need a city app that deputizes the citizens to issue tickets. , there’s no wiggle room for bike lane parkers, same as if I parked my car across the sidewalk. The city should announce a bounty system, fine and photo any bike lane infractions and you get to keep the Victim Surcharge part of the fine, since, well, cyclists are the victims here.

Back