News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 587     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I noticed that the new Dundas bike lane has been added to Google Maps between Broadview and Sackville. But it appears to show Gerrard having bike lands from River to Parliament. That's an error right? I haven't had a chance to get there myself. I don't believe I saw Gerrard included in the list of streets to get bike lanes.
1592597561269.png

^^ Only the gerrard bridge has bike lanes. Google might have incorrectly put bike lanes on a certain section where they don't actually exist. Google crowd-sources most of its map information also with the help of city staff so that's why google maps updated the new dundas bike lane on their map quickly. Google Maps does not distinguish cycle tracks and unprotected bike lanes.

Ok, this is really more a thread about Toronto cycling infrastructure than ex-urban GTA cycling infrastructure........

But in a sign that times maybe a changin.............

I thought this worth posting.

New, buffered, bike lanes going in on Lakeridge Road.........north of Highway 407!

1592700520785.png

Photo comes from Durham Region Cycling Coalition, via this Twitter thread:

The new bike lanes here on Shaw St look fantastic. Coupled with the direction change, local traffic has definitely quieted down.

However, there are still so many drivers driving the wrong way. People in this city really don't know how to read signs.View attachment 253712
View attachment 253713

Those arrows though... Looks like a batman fighter jet.
I'm quite happy with Shaw, although it's not quite finished yet. I'd have liked to see raised intersections and more traffic calming measures. There are signs that say "Single File" and show a bicycle in front of a car but I get danger passed and honked at on Shaw still.

The new bike lanes here on Shaw St look fantastic. Coupled with the direction change, local traffic has definitely quieted down.

However, there are still so many drivers driving the wrong way. People in this city really don't know how to read signs.View attachment 253712
View attachment 253713

I remember in the 1950's and 1960's riding my bike the wrong direction on one-way streets, not stopping at stop signs, and passing police cars without a thought that those rules applied to bicycles.

Too bad we can't clarify that the one-way rule on residential streets apply to motor vehicles, and bicyclists (non-motorized or non-electric) can do a "Idaho stop" on residential side streets.

View attachment 253713

Hello, neighbour! I live right on Shaw and you're right, it's definitely quieter since the changes (and it is indeed certainly a shit show; I'd say roughly 40-50% of drivers are ignoring the new paint and signage and are going the wrong way -- I've seen a few verbal shouting matches and one fist fight in the last week!).

They do, indeed, still have a bit of work left to do -- interestingly, you can see in the image below the bike markings they're slated to put down where the new direction change has been implemented, to account for the fact that the contra-flow switches to the other side of the road at this point:

IMG_2941 2.JPG

...interestingly, you can see in the image below the bike markings they're slated to put down where the new direction change has been implemented, to account for the fact that the contra-flow switches to the other side of the road at this point...

I was wondering how they'd handle this part. The design called for a "parkette" if I recall, and the installation of a BikeShare station.

Back