News   Apr 24, 2024
 284     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 633     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Attachments

• 1575995606973.png
    1575995606973.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 353
Some 2020 consultation meetings noted in this.

I don't consider bicycle lanes along arterial roads complete until they raise the bicycle lanes and shift the sewer grates away from the bicycle lanes.

Gilham-raised-lane.jpg

From link. If the sewer grates are in the bicycle lane, expect potholes to form around the grates.
Raising the road would solve one of the biggest hazards facing cyclists. The edge of the road is often deteriorated. Check out Dufferin in the vicinity of the Yorkdale Mall. It’s treacherous.

Does anyone know the status of this Finch Hydro Trail extension? Said construction was supposed to take place in 2019...

Does anyone know the status of this Finch Hydro Trail extension? Said construction was supposed to take place in 2019...

In the latest cycling-related report to the Jan. 9th, infrastructure and environment committee meeting.

This can be found:

Finch Hydro Corridor•Existing: A multi-use trail, with a few gaps, exists from Norfinch Dr to Pineway Blvd (15 km), and from Birchmount Rd to Middlefield Rd (5 km)
.•Underway: To extend farther west, cycling infrastructure is currently being designed as part of the Finch West LRT construction from Keele St to Highway 27 (10 km);
and to the east a multi-use trail from Birchmount Rd to Pharmacy Ave (1.7km).
•Planned: New multi-use trail from Pharmacy Ave to Pineway Blvd (4 km ).

It would be my understanding, pending budget, that this will be delivered this year.

The city is hosting two public drop-ins at the end of the month for the western extension of the Bloor West bike lane.

January 27th
Drop-in:
4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

January 30th
Drop-in:
4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

More: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...projects/bloor-street-west-bikeway-extension/

View attachment 224490

I must admit, I'd prefer to see the entire section done w/street parking on one-side only.

That would afford room for physical separation of the bike lanes with streetscaping (planters with flowers/shrubs/trees).

It would also discourage some car traffic by making parking less plentiful.

I shall, however, endeavour to be grateful for new bike lanes, on a much-needed route, as in this City, it is all too rare.

Last edited:
I must admit, I'd prefer to see the entire section done w/street parking on one-side only.

That would afford room physical separation of the bike lanes with streetscaping (planters with flowers/shrubs/trees).

It would also discourage some car traffic by making parking less plentiful.

I shall, however, endeavour to be grateful for new bike lanes, on a much-needed route, as in this City, it is all too rare.

If there is off-street parking (AKA a parking lot), there is no need for street parking.

While I fully expect to be annoyed at a few design flaws that will inevitably exist, I'm nevertheless grateful for this very useful and substantial addition to our cycling network, which up until now has only seen minor piecemeal improvements over the last few years. In addition to this, there is also a push to get a pilot project started this year on Danforth, as well as a redesigned Eglinton Ave to look forward to after the completion of the Crosstown.

There isn't a single separated bikelane south of Bloor-Danforth to get across the Don Valley to downtown. I wish the city would get rid of the painted bike lanes, they do nothing.

Lakeshore/MGT is separated.

But you're right, the bridges at Queen, Dundas and Gerrard do not offer this.

Queen is a heritage structure and lacks room, unless you want to force traffic only onto the streetcar tracks.

Dundas and Gerrard are more interesting, I'm not if the stuctures as they are could support widening for separated bike lanes (cantilever) or whether you'd have to replace the structure.

However, various plans and flooding scenarios suggest it may be desirable to bolster the height of the bridges by at least a foot or two, and if that's done, it likely means completely new support structures which would allow for widening.

Eastern has no streetcar tracks, but its integration w/the Richmond/Adelaide off-ramps of DVP would make integrating bike lanes exceedingly challenging.

Last edited:

Back