News   Apr 24, 2024
 669     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 873     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 553     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Sorry, but I hate all of them. They are ugly and unsightly and just add to a dirty polluted cheap plastic atmosphere in a city that is already a pretty visually soulless concrete jungle already.
Each to his (or her) own but I prefer to be alive. Almost all of this 'safety equipment' is not pretty and I agree with you that in locations where it can be combined with (or replaced by) beautification (planters, for example) that should be done.

Each to his (or her) own but I prefer to be alive. Almost all of this 'safety equipment' is not pretty and I agree with you that in locations where it can be combined with (or replaced by) beautification (planters, for example) that should be done.
Personally I'm not a fan, but i think there is some nuance. I'd rather have them than nothing at all, but I don't like them because they're not very good at providing safety. The best for me is the higher concrete barriers, or parking protection. Something that will actually put a stop to an out of control car. The other thing I'm not fond of with the flex posts is that they give a sense, when the lane is crowded, that they will clip the edge of a handle bar. Again, I like them a lot more than having nothing at all, but I'd also prefer something else. They're such an improvement in Toronto, but we will, fingers crossed, be able to move beyond them soon.

Sorry, but I hate all of them. They are ugly and unsightly and just add to a dirty polluted cheap plastic atmosphere in a city that is already a pretty visually soulless concrete jungle already.
And in my area least, from the Bayview extension up to River and along Dundas East the plastic bollards are mostly broken, along with the curbs being shifted. Is there no one at city hall monitoring the condition of the bike lanes?

I walked through Esplanade a few days ago and the new bike lanes look great IMHO. Could it be better - of course!, but the flexiposts really does help delineate the bike lanes at eye level vs just the concrete curb. It's not as safe as a say a waist high concrete block, but I don't think they are ugly as implemented on Esplanade.

A kid and his father had fun going up the bus "ramp" which brought a smile to my face - it's the small things in life as they say.

The Danforth Bike Lanes are getting their extension to Victoria Park Avenue.

The work is set to begin June 12 and run to July 15.

1653955921822.png

1653955955757.png

The above from: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...-OndmVseglYL-Bwdf-99yIGmsgUa3OFXNgWq-5x4ehjB4

They need to go further east (and in the west end, well beyond Runnymede...)
I mean admittedly it can't go much further east (though it should continue all the way to Kingston)

It is in the program to extend the cycle tracks to Birchmount, not beyond until they sort out the mess of the Kingston/Danforth merger/underpass.

It still has to be approved by Council, but I think it just might be...........

I really wish they just did away with the parking lanes on Danforth. Would much rather have an extra travel lane or left turn lanes where needed.

They need to go further east (and in the west end, well beyond Runnymede...)
It's in the 2022-2024 plan, making it happen however will require diligent collaboration with car-loving councillors, and vocal support from advocacy groups.
But the clear message from the city and local cyclists is that the corridor is begging to be extended, and talking to city staff, they're set on making it happen no matter what.

The eastern extension into Scarborough is being advocated by Cycle Toronto, and TOEastCyclists, and the western section I believe is Bells on Bloor and Toronto Community Bikeways Coalition so feel free to hit em' up or get involved.

Just cycled down Cherry from Mill and see that the work just south of the rail berm proceeds quite well. More importantly, the City has finally made a major improvement to the area where one has to cross Lake Shore and go on south to the bridge over the Keating. I still hope they may do some minor upgrades to the three 'traffic islands' there but they did a great job so far!

Last edited:
* Cross-post to the Eglinton Connects thread *

Meeting/Presentation/Survey now up for 'EglintonTOday'

Presentation:

https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/984b-eglintontoday-publicmeeting1-presentation.pdf

Survey:

https://s.cotsurvey.chkmkt.com/?e=275148&h=A3CB91DC173FAA5&l=en

From the Presentation:

1654630328987.png

1654630468020.png

Project to include some parklets, some streetscape enhancement, additional Bikeshare Stations, provision for CafeTO

Overall this reads as a complete street (mostly) based on what is deemed do-able w/o road reconstruction (unless otherwise scheduled)

Overall, its good progress, but I would rather see some of the parking, some travel lanes (cars) omitted and jersey barriers added to better protect cyclists.

Last edited:

Back