News   Apr 25, 2024
 121     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

... and as the article notes, even those tracks that get installed are removed due to pressure from local councillors and drivers. "Cycling lanes installed on a four-kilometre stretch of Brimley Road as part of Toronto’s largest-ever bike lane expansion last year lasted just five months before the city removed them, citing complaints from local councillors and drivers.

... and as the article notes, even those tracks that get installed are removed due to pressure from local councillors and drivers. "Cycling lanes installed on a four-kilometre stretch of Brimley Road as part of Toronto’s largest-ever bike lane expansion last year lasted just five months before the city removed them, citing complaints from local councillors and drivers.

Yeah, and the last few words in that quote to me underscore the actual problem here, which the article itself I think underplays: the only reason that this article can be written is that a successive handful of councillors don't give a shit about the safety and wellbeing of people in their wards (and that we've now had 11 years-worth of mayors who'll pander to those people at virtually any cost). There are active cycling advocates in Scarborough, there are many users (and of course countless would-be users if the conditions were adapted for them), and Staff will do what they're told; the reason Scarborough has a crap cycling network is because of the personal-political whims of politicians. There's not really any mystery here.

They need to start with a strong off road network there to build up ridership. It will enable the on road cycling lanes to be built with stronger resident backing.

The above article discusses a report by UTSC looking at what can be done to enhance cycling in Scarborough.

That report can be found here: https://uttri.utoronto.ca/files/2021/10/Scarborough-Opportunity-FINAL-Sept-27.pdf

We need these to be mandatory wherever there is a boulevard in the suburbs.

I'm going to have to caveat that one from my perspective; wherever there is a boulevard sufficiently wide to support a row of healthy trees AND a bike path.

Which is to say, I would oppose removing trees to make room, I think that would be a net loss aesthetically and environmentally; but otherwise, I'm entirely supportive.

They need to start with a strong off road network there to build up ridership. It will enable the on road cycling lanes to be built with stronger resident backing.
Why? When the arterial roads have such a w-i-d-e right-of-way available. The width of the traffic lanes are not designed for the posted speed limits, but for the "safety" of the speeders going 100+ km/h. They can easily narrow the traffic lanes, to slow them down. That would leave room for a segregated cycling lane. They can still leave room for a road verge for snow windrows, and a sidewalk.

WeClaim-lane-delineator.png
From link.

Except that we have councillors who want to keep the wide streets for the speeders going over 100+ km/h.

I'm going to have to caveat that one from my perspective; wherever there is a boulevard sufficiently wide to support a row of healthy trees AND a bike path.

Which is to say, I would oppose removing trees to make room, I think that would be a net loss aesthetically and environmentally; but otherwise, I'm entirely supportive.
Most roads could probably support narrowed lanes in order to make room for bike lanes. No trees needed to be cut down.

Agreed, that still leaves so many streets available with super wide boulevards. Finch east of Victoria Park. McCowan north of Sheppard, Warden north of 401, Kennedy north of 401, Steeles east of Midland, Neilson, Ellesmere, Victoria Park north of Eglinton, Sheppard, Meadowvale. I could go on and on but the fact that the city hasn't done anything yet to build a simple multi-use path with these insanely wide corridors is unacceptable.

For reference (sorry for the low quality):
1634059453426.png

This recently installed trail on Ellesmere west of Golf Club Road (supposedly the highest standard,) is a stub trail that extends the current meadoway trail by about 700 metres. It's actually high-quality, nice width, green markings, bike signal and even an island bus stop. It unfortunately abruptly ends at a random driveway east of Markham Road and then cyclists are riding on the sidewalk again.

What good is a fancy new trail if it ends before it needs to, and what good is a trail if I have to illegally ride on the sidewalk 90% of the way there.

This is the main problem. City staff take pride in high-quality but stubby infrastructure. And it shows, just look at the plans. A few stubs scattered and a few major routes that have been in the plans for decades like Kingston, Sheppard, Victoria Park and Brimley that still need additional planning apparently.

City staff needs to prioritize building bike infrastructure in Scarborough as a proper network with major east west and north south routes immediately. Not piecemeal scattered around Scarborough like in the current plan.
-It can take advantage of wide right of ways to reduce impacts to drivers and pedestrians; something downtown could dream of.
-We can build long sections of multi-use trails at once pretty quickly. We're not building subways.
-It doesn't need full road reconstruction.
-And it doesn't need to take so long. Only if the city staff and councillors starts to actually give a damn and first admit that they've starved Scarborough.

And yes, like Scarborough's buses, we can improve cycling as well to make it actually viable to driving.

Attachments

• 1634059029453.png
    1634059029453.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 1634059420503.png
    1634059420503.png
    591.8 KB · Views: 67
Agreed, that still leaves so many streets available with super wide boulevards. Finch east of Victoria Park. McCowan north of Sheppard, Warden north of 401, Kennedy north of 401, Steeles east of Midland, Neilson, Ellesmere, Victoria Park north of Eglinton, Sheppard, Meadowvale. I could go on and on but the fact that the city hasn't done anything yet to build a simple multi-use path with these insanely wide corridors is unacceptable.

Broadly I agree.

I would like to note, that for the most part, you've identified roads where the land was acquired to widen the roads to six lanes, but they remain at 4 + turn lanes currently.

That said, there are problems, lots of them. Its not quite as easy as you make it sound in a lot of spots.

Lets look.

Victoria Park, north of Eglinton, typical profile: (looking south)

1634061754177.png

You'll notice immediately that there is no boulevard on a portion of the eastern side of the road
But what about the boulevard on the west side? Its a whopping 5.4M wide, so there's lots of room, right?

Not so much.

Look at where the existing trees are sited. Roughly in the middle (slightly closer to the sidewalk, just fractionally).
So, if you paved right to the tree, from the curb, you have about 2.6M But that would kill the tree, you can't pave that close.

You have only only 2.4m on the sidewalk side If the trees grew to a healthy size, it will also eat about 0.3M on each side, just in the in the size of the trunk.

So, how much room do you have? Curb inward, I would say about 1.5M Sidewalk outward, about 1.3M
That's a very narrow boulevard, and assumes no separation or barrier at the road, or the sidewalk.

* note, that if the trees did grow to a healthy size, their roots would like heave any trail within 2M of the tree eventually; though, you'd probably have 30 years to go before that was an issue.

Want to make it more complicated? The sidewalk does not meet current minimum width standards here, its ~1.95M and it should be 2.1M
That makes it even tougher. Can you move the curb to subtract excessive lane width? Yes. However, using the 2 southbound lanes, which have a combined cross-section of 6.6M, the City will only take it down to 6.3M (a 0.3M net gain)
To do that, you still have to move the curbs and gutters.

To be clear, I support the idea your advocating and there are places it would work; but its more complex than it looks at first blush.

This recently installed trail on Ellesmere west of Golf Club Road (supposedly the highest standard,) is a stub trail that extends the current meadoway trail by about 700 metres. It's actually high-quality, nice width, green markings, bike signal and even an island bus stop. It unfortunately abruptly ends at a random driveway east of Markham Road and then cyclists are riding on the sidewalk again.

What good is a fancy new trail if it ends before it needs to, and what good is a trail if I have to illegally ride on the sidewalk 90% of the way there.

Agreed.

This is the main problem. City staff take pride in high-quality but stubby infrastructure. And it shows, just look at the plans. A few stubs scattered and a few major routes that have been in the plans for decades like Kingston, Sheppard, Victoria Park and Brimley that still need additional planning apparently.

I don't think 'take pride' is the right expression.

There are serious obstacles to getting approvals for the version of works you (or I ) would like to see.

Half measures often get built, because there is a 'better than nothing' attitude; that is to say, the cycling unit has money to do something, they want to do something, but Transportation as a whole, or another unit, or the Councillor won't
allow the road narrowing, or bus-layby removal that would be required to take a trail or bike lane to its logical destination.

The unit then decides to build what they can, rather than nothing.

Its not the way it should work; and I will make no excuses for those that hold up the proper versions of projects. But it is a reality.

City staff needs to prioritize building bike infrastructure in Scarborough as a proper network with major east west and north south routes immediately. Not piecemeal scattered around Scarborough like in the current plan.
-It can take advantage of wide right of ways to reduce impacts to drivers and pedestrians; something downtown could dream of.
-We can build long sections of multi-use trails at once pretty quickly. We're not building subways.
-It doesn't need full road reconstruction.
-And it doesn't need to take so long. Only if the city staff and councillors starts to actually give a damn and first admit that they've starved Scarborough.

And yes, like Scarborough's buses, we can improve cycling as well to make it actually viable to driving.

Agreed; though I would pursue it a bit differently and I will show how in a subsequent post.

Last edited:
The best approach for scarborough is to add bike lanes when the road is being renovated and focus on attaching bike lanes to a network. Brimley was pushed back on because the city took a 4 lane road and make it 2 lanes, and because drivers would see half of the road empty.

what the city is really messing up on is that they have done road rehabilitations in scarborough and just restored the road to the way it was, instead up upgrading and putting in cycle tracks.

the ROW is wide and the trees in the grass median are planted in a way to inhibit a complete urban street from being built. Im of the opinion to cut them down so the road can be built for all users and replant them in the correct location after construction.

The best approach for scarborough is to add bike lanes when the road is being renovated and focus on attaching bike lanes to a network. Brimley was pushed back on because the city took a 4 lane road and make it 2 lanes, and because drivers would see half of the road empty.

what the city is really messing up on is that they have done road rehabilitations in scarborough and just restored the road to the way it was, instead up upgrading and putting in cycle tracks.

the ROW is wide and the trees in the grass median are planted in a way to inhibit a complete urban street from being built. Im of the opinion to cut them down so the road can be built for all users and replant them in the correct location after construction.

Agreed. The only reason those medians are there in the first place, was to eventually widen the road. Thats their purpose. So do so, but with separated bike lanes.

Ok, so I promised a look at how I would do things with respect to cycling infra, in Scarborough.

Let me start by saying, if politics and money were no obstacle, I would put cycling infra everywhere, which is where it ought to be, in the longer term.

But in the real world, we want to grab low-hanging fruit (infrastructure which will generate less opposition, and or sufficient support to ensure it stays in place once approved).

We want to look for projects that require as little study, and as little expense per km as possible, to maximize gain.

But we also want to choose logical routes, and aim for relatively quick uptake.

Rather than do all of Scarborough, I'll take a look at 2 spots I see as being of near-term interest.

1) Scarborough South-West.

This is the area directly abutting East York, generally south of Eglinton, and east of Victoria Park Avenue, down to the Lake.

Here's what I would do:

1634090054004.png

Legend:

Blue: approved and funded Cycle Tracks, Danforth, Dawes to Victoria Park

Red: Priority Cycle Tracks

Purple: Phase 2 cycle tracks

Here's the details:

Red:

Danforth Victoria Park to Birchmount.

This is a logical extension of the existing Danforth Cycle Track and will therefore have built-in ridership interest.
This section of Danforth is not prone to heavy congestion overall, with some minor congestion in rush hour in the primary direction of travel.
The local councillor has expressed openness to the idea (Crawford)
This would make parking permanent (ie remove rush-hour parking restrictions) for local businesses and residents (this creates an additional positive stakeholder).
It sets up a logical connection to key destinations, including, Victoria Park Station, Shopper's World, Warden Subway Station, and major Recreation amenities on Birchmount south of Danforth.

Birchmount south of Danforth:

A short stretch of road which connects Danforth to the Waterfront, and to major recreation amenities including a Community Recreation Centre, Leisure Pool, Arena, and Stadium.

1634090451077.png

Credit Streetview

As one can see there is sufficient road width along the bulk of this road in the form of a parking lane that is lightly used, because City facilities here all have off-street parking.
Additionally, the City is the land owner for ~ 90% of the land on the east side of Birchmount, along with the TDSB, meaning adjustments in road width could be made fairly easily without much if any land acquisition, should they be needed.

Warden Avenue, Danforth (or Clonmore) to St. Clair:

This section of Warden is low-volume for traffic, its rarely, if ever jammed.
Local residents are concerned about vehicle speed, and that creates additional stakeholders for something narrows lanes of traffic.
This affords a connection to Warden Station.

Purple:

Kingston Road from Victoria Park to Birchmount.

Parking is currently permitted on both sides of the road, except in rush hour.
So long as most parking remains, or enough parking remains to meet current demand, business and residents would likely be pleased by the removal of rush-hour restrictions.
This is good and represents additional positive stakeholders. It will, however, increase congestion modestly at peak times.
It also has fewer destinations and lower feed-in cycling traffic than Danforth, and is therefore a lower priority.
Same Councillor as Danforth, you won't get both at once.

Victoria Park, Crescent Town Road to Gerrard.

Looks controversial, as the VP/Danforth intersection here experiences significant congestion at peak times.
However, I believe many of those issues might actually be better resolved with bike lanes, than without.
They require dedicated right-hand turn-lanes approaching Danforth, and the elimination of those travel lanes on the opposite side of same.
That said, because it may seem counter-intuitive and involves the same Councillor as Danforth, this should rank as a lower priority.

Next, I want to look at Scarborough Centre.

This area is roughly Victoria Park to McCowan and Eglinton to the 401.

Here, I would prioritize off-road infrastructure initially.
The reason is straight-forward. Lack of political support for on-road work; plus lack of on-road connections further west in the adjacent area of North York.
Here, the key project to date is the Gatineau Hydro Corridor, something I would propose to build off.

I would prioritize the Warden Hydro Corridor, south of the CP Rail line (crossing it is a significant investment and regulatory issue) to the Gatineau Corridor

1634091431024.png

This project is in the Toronto Trails Strategy, it connects with the Gatineau Hydro Corridor (Meadoway) therefore helps create a network.

There is no political opportunity in the near-term for investments on the parallel sections of VP, Pharmacy or Warden.

Lawrence is also an opportunity, but I have not highlighted it here. The key to Lawrence will be removing the 7th lane (turning lane mid-road, and making some boulevard adjustments.
I believe this can be achieved, and should be, when this section of road is reviewed for Transit-priority, which can provide political cover for the cycling enhancement.

I would also prioritize Bikeshare expansion as low-hanging fruit to which there is no serious opposition.

Toronto is looking at Cycling improvements for a N-S corridor following Palmerston and Tecumseth from Dupont to just south of Wellington.

Link here: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...cts/palmerston-tecumseth-cycling-connections/

Map here:

1634564600953.png

Description of the changes proposed for the 8 segments:

1634564650172.png

There is a virtual public meeting this Wednesday to discuss the above. For those supportive of these changes, I would certainly encourage you to register, and voice that at the meeting.

Last edited:

Back