News   Apr 24, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 640     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

With flexiposts, they may scratch their vehicle's paint job. With bollards, they may end up with dents, or worse.
Don't get me wrong - I much prefer concrete and bollards over the flexiposts, but the psychological effect is the same as narrowing the road - it slows them down and makes them more aware of their surroundings.

I was merely correcting the City's incorrect terminology. Bollards are widely used to actually protect pedestrians/vulnerable road users. Flexiposts are merely a psychological tool or incentivize people not to ruin their paint job but won't stop a granny with unintended acceleration from plowing through a farmer's market.

Ms. Katz replied that she’s meeting with the TTC in mid August to discuss moving the TTC stop at Dundas at River so to allow a hardened separation.
Here's the reply....

Evening,

I just wanted to provide an update. I met with TTC a week later than expected. As discussed below, since bus's accessible ramps cannot be deployed down to street level, buses cannot stop in the middle streetcar lane if there is bus replacement on the Dundas Street corridor (planned or unplanned). Thus protection cannot be added along the full length of the Dundas corridor at this point in time.

TTC does support shortening the length of the transit stops. Right now the bikeway protection stops more than 40 m from the streetcar stops. They have agreed to reduce to 30m. I know this will not solve all the issues highlighted, but it will help to reinforce that the space is meant for people cycling.

Currently the protected bike lanes on Dundas Street between Broadview and Sackville are temporary as part of ActiveTO. We are required to report to City Council at the end of the year.

Depending on the next round of data collection results and staff recommendations, City Council will determine if the ActiveTO bikeways should be made permanent, stay temporary or be removed (and perhaps debate addition unanticipated options as determined by City Council members or through staff recommendations). If they are made permanent, the streetcar stops could be upgraded with raised transit/bike islands found across the city including on Sherbourne, Howard Park at Dundas, Lake Shore Boulevard W near Norris, etc. The pavement markings could also be upgraded from paint to thermoplastic.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Becky

Becky Katz (she/her)
Manager, Cycling and Pedestrian Projects
Transportation Services

City of Toronto

And my reply:

"Hi Becky, A belated thank you for your email. I wanted to observe the intersection a little longer before replying. It's downright dangerous and needs to be addressed. If we cannot extend the protection for the cyclists then the best solution is to eliminate the illusion of protection, meaning that the solid painted line needs to be removed and the right hand lane reestablished for right turning vehicular traffic. As it is now, there is no clearly understood place for cars that want to turn right from Dundas to River, with some venturing into the bicycle lane whilst others stay to the left with their right turn indicators on, only to be nearly sideswiped by other cars that use the bicycle lane to pass on the right. All the while the bicycle riders are trying to avoid getting caught up in the confusing ruckus."

Last edited:

Interesting, Mill Street east of Cherry Street already has fairly new bike lanes which I sort of wish were just continued westward. I kind of hate one way streets when there isn't a viable one way in the opposite direction to balance it out. Converting one ways often ends up with a lot of detouring traffic and a higher number of intersections impacted.

I'd prefer they removed the parking lane and maintained two-way traffic.

Interesting, Mill Street east of Cherry Street already has fairly new bike lanes which I sort of wish were just continued westward. I kind of hate one way streets when there isn't a viable one way in the opposite direction to balance it out. Converting one ways often ends up with a lot of detouring traffic and a higher number of intersections impacted.

I'd prefer they removed the parking lane and maintained two-way traffic.
Found a lot of the garages are being used as storage units. They hold their garden equipment, camping equipment, winter/summer tires, BBQ, handi-person tools, workbench, wine-making bottles, etc.. Oh yes, fogot about parking for the bicycles, of course. This results in the car having to be parked on the streets because they have no more room available in the garage.

Found a lot of the garages are being used as storage units. They hold their garden equipment, camping equipment, winter/summer tires, BBQ, handi-person tools, workbench, wine-making bottles, etc.. Oh yes, fogot about parking for the bicycles, of course. This results in the car having to be parked on the streets because they have no more room available in the garage.
What are you talking about? There are NO garages along either The Esplanade or Mill Street that might be filled with 'stuff' so that cars need to park in the street. This MAY be something seen in single family houses but the buildings on these streets are all MURBs.

What are you talking about? There are NO garages along either The Esplanade or Mill Street that might be filled with 'stuff' so that cars need to park in the street. This MAY be something seen in single family houses but the buildings on these streets are all MURBs.
Not talking about the MURBs, but the single-family houses in Toronto, the 905, etc. with private garages. Those ones end up getting filled with everything except the family car.

Back