News   Apr 16, 2024
 72     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 653     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 468     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Ok, this needs visible elaboration.............

Tweet 1, from above:

1618334859455.png

Tweet 2:
1618334794784.png

(for those who don't know, Becky is in charge of the City Cycling program)

I was going to say what Becky said earlier, but got sidetracked by work...........

FWIW.........the renders of what is being done:

1618334943688.png

1618334961339.png

1618334992545.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...l-improvements-phase-2-site-info-bulletin.pdf

Tweet 1, from above:

View attachment 312362

Tweet 2:
View attachment 312361

I was going to say what Becky said earlier, but got sidetracked by work...........

View attachment 312363

View attachment 312364

View attachment 312365
From: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...l-improvements-phase-2-site-info-bulletin.pdf

Clarification:

Tweet 1, from above:

View attachment 312362

Tweet 2:
View attachment 312361

View attachment 312363

View attachment 312364

View attachment 312365

This is great, and will greatly increase the usefulness of the Don Trail in this segment. It always felt like you were kind of 'trapped' into the trail there, and had no option but to emerge out at the waterfront or far north downtown.

As a driver, I feel safer when cyclists have protected lanes:

Plus the protected lanes have a desirable effect of narrowing the road. Before the curbs, one could comfortably do 70 on some segments of lower Bayview.

Now, it's more comfortable sticking to the posted limit without feeling like you're going too slowly.

Goes to show that road design is more important than regulations/posted limits on their own.

As a driver, I feel safer when cyclists have protected lanes:

Plus the protected lanes have a desirable effect of narrowing the road. Before the curbs, one could comfortably do 70 on some segments of lower Bayview.

Now, it's more comfortable sticking to the posted limit without feeling like you're going too slowly.

Goes to show that road design is more important than regulations/posted limits on their own.
You almost shouldn't need to post speed limit signs. It should be obvious from the design of the road what the appropriate speed is.

With the new paths along Bayview there really needs to be a direct connection to Riverdale Park. Now the only way to get there from Bayview is to go all the way up the hill to River Street and then back down again.

The design made sense when Bayview was little more than a semi-expressway, but now that it's been somewhat tamed and accommodates walking and biking, the interface with the park should be rethought. Opening them up to each other would benefit both and add a whole new dimension to the area.

Recent webinar on cycling infrastructure in Canada for the region of Waterloo. Some commentary on examples of cycling infrastructure in the Canadian context.

I've been riding up and down Spadina for years and I wonder why I never hear of a push for bike lanes. Would be a great road for them, as far as I'm concerned.
the traffic volumes are too high to really be able to remove a lane, and the curbside parking in chinatown is problematic from a design perspective.

Spadina is the highest volume access to the downtown by a significant margin - a good percentage of vehicle traffic in and out of downtown uses it. For better or for worse..

North of College probably has low enough traffic volumes to cut a lane of traffic, but that's not where the lanes are needed the most.

the traffic volumes are too high to really be able to remove a lane, and the curbside parking in chinatown is problematic from a design perspective.

Spadina is the highest volume access to the downtown by a significant margin - a good percentage of vehicle traffic in and out of downtown uses it. For better or for worse..

North of College probably has low enough traffic volumes to cut a lane of traffic, but that's not where the lanes are needed the most.

Good Assessment.

I think Spadina Road, north of Bloor is do-able tomorrow.

Bloor to College requires some modest tweaks, but won't likely happen until road work is scheduled.

South of College is very problematic.

I do think, at some point, one travel lane will come out, and/or parking will be removed, but the impetus is likely going to be over-crowding on the streetcar platforms with bike lanes as an add-on if there's enough extra room.

The worst stretch is south of Richmond; that can't be addressed without looking at the traffic headed to the Gardiner at that spot, and that can't be addressed without major GO Transit improvements.

So fixing most of Spadina is years away in all likelihood.

Last edited:

Back