News   Apr 23, 2021
 228     0 
News   Apr 22, 2021
 543     0 
News   Apr 22, 2021
 1.1K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes headed downtown)

mickael

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new link onto Lower Don trail:

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Tender
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc2780898047
Commodity:Construction Services, Landscape Construction
Description:Request For Tender - Lower Don Trail Phase 2 Improvements
Ariba Public Posting: http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/9618709

Posting Summary

The Work of this Contract involves the new sloping ramp structure, improvements to the existing Lower Don Trail, steel staircase connecting the Dundas Street Bridge to the Lower Don Trail and the East Path accessibility improvements. The Work includes all appurtenances, fixtures, equipment, systems, building and civil services and municipal connections, to the extent and as documented and elaborated in the Construction Drawings and in the Construction Specification Project Manual, which constitute a fundamental component of this Tender Package.
Issue date:January 20, 2021
ecblank.gif
Closing date:February 17, 2021
at 12:00 Noon
Pre-bid meeting:Site Meeting Info -

A Site Information Bulletin will be published as an Addenda ASAP in lieu of a Mandatory Site Meeting.
Buyer:Suits, Martin
ecblank.gif
Phone number:416-392-7172
Email:Martin.Suits@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
Client Division:Parks, Forestry & Recreation
So ramp or stairs? I'm confused

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
So ramp or stairs? I'm confused

Unless the design has changed materially since I last saw it (and it may have, nonesense from Mx stalled this work for several years)........

The connection to the Dundas Bridge is stairs.

If I recall correctly (don't hold me to this), there was a proposed ramp from the Riverdale Park Bridge to the Don Trail.

I'm guessing this tender includes both of those.

Hold it...........found it:

1611939451738.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/

The report on which all the improvements are based (and a few have been delivered) is here:

mickael

Member Bio
Reaction score
Unless the design has changed materially since I last saw it (and it may have, nonesense from Mx stalled this work for several years)........

The connection to the Dundas Bridge is stairs.

If I recall correctly (don't hold me to this), there was a proposed ramp from the Riverdale Park Bridge to the Don Trail.

I'm guessing this tender includes both of those.

Hold it...........found it:

View attachment 296947

From: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/

The report on which all the improvements are based (and a few have been delivered) is here:

Awesome thanks. It'd be good if they could squeeze a ramp into the west side of the park too, with proper access to the bridge. Rather than forcing cyclists to dismount for the stairs, as well as other more pressing reasons.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
As predicted. Quite a shitshow. I'm surprised they didn't put the planters away for the winter.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
This was a pilot bike lane. I think what was done on Danforth with concrete curbs bolted to the roadway and flex posts would be better. If we want planters, they should be built in a mort permanent way. These have been hit by cars on a regular basis since they went in.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong is anti-cyclist...

He once came to my mom's door with a petition to criminalize skateboarding on public property. She asked why they didn't build a skate park. He said 'too expensive & these kids are criminals in training' -- my brother was a skateboarder -- he was impolitely told to take a hike.
What a reprehensible response from an elected official to a smart proposal from students. I would like to see Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong's financial credentials. Or better yet...his urban planning credentials..since we're criticizing the credentials of people with ideas.

Last edited:

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This is exactly the type of comment that I hope leads to him losing in the next election. A good chunk of the students that attend that high school live in his ward. They'll be voters within a year or two.

He won by a roughly 4,000 vote margin the last time.

It'll be a tough battle to unseat him; even though it should be easy.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong is anti-cyclist...

I have a lot I could say about DMW; but I think, I'll endeavour not to be banned for use of profane language.

LOL, suffice to say, I'm not his biggest fan.

In respect of this bridge, I wish the article offered more information.

For instance, at one point Jacquelyn Hayward of the City says:

"The City recognizes the need to enhance the bridge with wider sidewalks and higher railings, for example, and several of the concepts that the students were looking to see are already incorporated in preliminary designs,"

Good. But how much wider? Is that to be achieved by reducing lane width, or is the proposal to enlarge the deck slightly? What about bike lanes?

Can the bridge support additional weight? If so, could the sidewalk be shifted out, either on an enlarged deck, or cantilevered?

If not, has the option of a dedicated by bike bridge; and/or pedestrian bike bridges been considered?

I don't expect the kids to know all these things; but I do expect the reporter to ask those questions.

Then, and only then, can we get to costs; and details.

The City also makes clear they aren't really open to cutting the number of vehicle lanes; which should really surprise no one.

In fairness, that couldn't be considered in isolation anyway, but only in conjunction with removing 2 lanes from Don Mills and 2 lanes on Millwood south of of Overlea.

Otherwise you would only create a bottleneck.

Edit to add: I would be a proponent of those collective lane reductions.