News   Apr 19, 2024
 715     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Here is how cycle paths underpasses should work (on the right side, elevated from the road). Making cyclists go down a huge decline and incline so that trucks have enough clearance is bad design. There is a MUP on the right side (combined sidewalk and cycle path).

While I agree with your statement, for the time being this is a good first step and that is something that can be thought of with bridge reconstruction. The cost it would take is not worth taking away from other cycling infrastructure that is much more needed.

Blood St. East continues to be a disaster.

A6AF7838-7036-4694-A942-BD33C9FF4964.jpeg
08730A02-6E2C-4C5D-AAB3-CB62AC66EC2B.jpeg
6663AA3C-A8CD-40C4-8542-53800A1882BC.jpeg

No interest by Layton to make this a success?

Danforth the contrary - a success story!
View attachment 280143
I think the difference lies less in support from councillors and more in cooperative BIAs. The Bloor-Yorkville BIA fought tooth and nail against these lanes and staff had to make many design compromises to placate them. They are also the reason that the streetscape redesign a few years back didn't accommodate bikes in any meaningful way. This will be one of the sections that we'll have to fight to keep after ActiveTO winds down.

I think the difference lies less in support from councillors and more in cooperative BIAs. The Bloor-Yorkville BIA fought tooth and nail against these lanes and staff had to make many design compromises to placate them. They are also the reason that the streetscape redesign a few years back didn't accommodate bikes in any meaningful way. This will be one of the sections that we'll have to fight to keep after ActiveTO winds down.

Putting aside the BIA's generic, unhelpful, reactionary opposition to bike lanes; I can't object to their idea that the form of protection they receive can look attractive.

Lots of places use landscaping/streetscaping as part of a cycletrack protective barrier.

It is, however, quite clear, that simple planters will not prove sufficient in this particular space.

I am, however, content to support the BIA should it wish to go halfsies w/the City on solid granite medians (uninterrupted except at intersections), and fill those with flowers and trees.

It’s convenient to blame BIA’s and to preserve the status quo. IMHO Brad Bradford had the enthusiasm of a first year councillor and is leading Destination Danforth to a success. Two of the local BIA’s opposed the street redesign and the bike lanes. But he managed to convince them.

Why is this any different with the Yorkville BIA?

Update on Montreal's REV (reseau express velo) project - Montreal last weekend officially inaugurated the St. Denis axis of the REV network (8.7 km spanning from north island to downtown). Thousands participated in the launch, and is generally well publicized by the local media (along with the usual laundry list of complaints from some local merchants about parking, traffic, etc.). This axis allows someone living in the outer-suburbs in island north to bike to downtown in under 30 min, almost competitive with taking the metro. Upon completion, the REV network will eventually encompass 184 km of fully protected cycling tracks across the city.

A citizen inauguration for the REV on St. Denis (in French): https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...ion-citoyenne-pour-le-rev-sur-saint-denis.php

1605111664023.png

I think the idea is to bike to transit, not bike parallel to transit (not that there is anything wrong with that). I guess such bike lanes would compensate for infrequent bus service on such corridors.

Back