News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

They are (err. were) debating the bike lanes (study) request for Yonge. Council just went on lunch til 2pm.

From Graphic Matt's Twitter coverage; glad to see Councillor Layton's sense of humour!

1603903671413.png

Holyday and Minnan-Wong are the 2 vocal opponents thus far.

Motion calling for staff to look at Bike Lanes on Yonge from Bloor to Lawrence and to also consider parallel options passes 19-3.

Minnan-Wong, Holyday and Ford voting in the negative.

Motion calling for staff to look at Bike Lanes on Yonge from Bloor to Lawrence and to also consider parallel options passes 19-3.

Minnan-Wong, Holyday and Ford voting in the negative.

I really agree with Parallel options, having lived at Yonge and Sheldrake for 10 years.

I use Duplex all the time to bike and I would continue to use it even if they put bike lanes on Yonge, its simply better and safer to bike on it.

Full text of the motion, including amendments:

1. City Council request the General Manager, Transportation Services, to consider and explore including, as part of either the 2021 update to the cycling network plan, the COVID-19 pandemic cycling network expansion response plan or potentially as part of the YongeTOmorrow process, a temporary protected bikeway along Yonge Street or parallel routes from Bloor Street to north of Lawrence Avenue in conjunction with on-street patios, road safety and traffic-calming measures, and other streetscape improvements identified through consultation with local businesses and community groups, following the complete streets approach applied to Danforth Avenue, with implementation by the second quarter of 2021, and iteration and evaluation throughout 2021.

Full text of the motion, including amendments:

1. City Council request the General Manager, Transportation Services, to consider and explore including, as part of either the 2021 update to the cycling network plan, the COVID-19 pandemic cycling network expansion response plan or potentially as part of the YongeTOmorrow process, a temporary protected bikeway along Yonge Street or parallel routes from Bloor Street to north of Lawrence Avenue in conjunction with on-street patios, road safety and traffic-calming measures, and other streetscape improvements identified through consultation with local businesses and community groups, following the complete streets approach applied to Danforth Avenue, with implementation by the second quarter of 2021, and iteration and evaluation throughout 2021.

Last council meeting wong-tam put forward a motion to have the study be extended to Gerrard. I wonder why not this time 😔

I really agree with Parallel options, having lived at Yonge and Sheldrake for 10 years.

I use Duplex all the time to bike and I would continue to use it even if they put bike lanes on Yonge, its simply better and safer to bike on it.

By parallel roads, I think it's referring to Avenue Rd or Mt Pleasant as the alternatives. I recall that these roads were supposed to be part of the study for Yonge street, before the pandemic hit.

1603911986801.png

I also use Duplex a lot, which is useful however I find that it's materially slower compared to the main roads (lots of stop signs, cross traffic, and door zones to watch out for). And once you're south of St Clair, there are no safe alternatives nearby.

Last edited:
Not to mention that Yonge is where the most destinations are, so that's where it makes the most sense to put bike lanes. If you try to get cyclists to go out of their way to get where they're going, serious cyclists will keep using Yonge while casual cyclists just won't bother.

By parallel roads, I think it's referring to Avenue Rd or Mt Pleasant as the alternatives. I recall that these roads were supposed to be part of the study for Yonge street, before the pandemic hit.

View attachment 279440

I also use Duplex a lot, which is useful however I find that it's materially slower compared to the main roads (lots of stop signs, cross traffic, and door zones to watch out for). And once you're south of St Clair, there are no safe alternatives nearby.
I feel like trying to cycle down Mt Pleasant would be absolutely terrifying, even with bike lanes. Unless there were some serious changes made to stop it from being functionally a minor highway. And imo, Avenue isn't much better.

And trying to shunt them to a side street with bad signal priority and lots of stop signs is a recipe for disaster as well.

Mt Pleasant is a pretty bad idea. Way less bike friendly than a narrowed/calmed Yonge would be.

Back