News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 568     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Looking back at the projects this year. This year has been incredible for cycling expansion,

now we need to carry that momentum into next year, with major routes like
Yonge, Donlands-Don Mills, Keele-Weston, Kipling, Warden Hydro and Kingston Road.

Eglinton Connects (Brentcliffe-Kennedy) will be finished by the end of 2021, which will be a huge addition to the cycling network.

Also, any local cycling connections planned for next year as planned like Port Union, Oakdale, Golf Club, Esplanade, Winona, Alness-Chesswood, Glengrove are in the 2021 plan that hasn't happened yet but is very likely.

ActiveTO major road closures

I'm 100% certain that ActiveTO road closures will happen in the spring of next year, they were insanely successful! I hope more roads are added to the partial closures, like

Yonge Street (south of Davenport),
Don Mills Road (Overlea-Eglinton),
York University Busway,
Black Creek Drive,
Eglinton (west of Black Creek).

These roads parallel popular trails, don't have many driveways and have alternate roads for drivers. It's about time that these closures stop being only in Downtown. Not everyone lives in Downtown, and people outside of the core need some of the space too!

The city should experiment with different types of closures, like full closures, only one direction, closing a few lanes, only transit vehicles, etc. The city needs to stop thinking that a few driveways and car addicts should stop people from getting out and socially distancing.

Quiet Streets

These were the biggest flop of the ActiveTO initiative. Not only did drivers ignore the signs, but Drivers can also easily swerve around the pylons or bricks. Drivers don't even know what local traffic means.

What we need is actual curbs and proper road design that discourages through traffic. We also need enforcement of these rules, get some officers and do some education!

Basically, Shaw Street is what the city wanted on these quiet streets. Every quiet street needs a better design that makes them bike boulevards.

Protected Intersections/Raised Bus Platforms

I really want the city to try making temporary/permanent protected intersection and raised bus stop designs standard. If not, at least extend the bollards or curb to the intersection. Look at Montreal's REV designs!

Unfortunately, the city is in a bit of debt, and I really don't want cycling to be where it's cut funding.

We have a chance to really get it right next year. Covid will still be a problem next year, and traffic will only get worse and transit will get more crowded if we don't give people options. Let's making cycling viable.

One last bit of cycling infra before the weather overtakes the season....

1602968098343.png

1602968228287.png

New Multi-use trail along Ellesmere from Scarborough Golf Club Road to Markham Rd.

Scheduled to be done this month.

I can't figure out what's the point of this project and why it only goes up to Markham Rd.
I believe it's mostly a local connection to the High School and large apartment buildings in the around around Ellesmere and Markham Road. It builds on the recent trail they built through the river valley west of the Rouge Valley Centenary Hospital.

My understanding of the conditions here is what is reflected in the photo below.

That the trail currently exists from Scarborough Golf Club road to the east; and this extends it to the west.

1603113206867.png

Are you indicating the trail is already in place to the west?

My understanding of the conditions here is what is reflected in the photo below.

That the trail currently exists from Scarborough Golf Club road to the east; and this extends it to the west.

View attachment 277727

Are you indicating the trail is already in place to the west?

Oh I understand now, I didnt understand the map they provided. I thought they were indicating that the Gatineau Hydro Corridor trail was the part being built.

No, this is new, you are correct.

On that subject, they need to extend the trail even further along Ellesmere imo.

The little stretch of new path alongside Don Mills Road from the existing trail at Charles-Sauriol/ET Seton up to the intersection w/Overlea is open.

1603304053468.png

1603304075337.png

1603304103898.png

From Rudy Limeback's Twitter:
Note for cyclists, the connection at the bottom is still a stair case.

PS, this is the 'before shot'

1603304299958.png

The little stretch of new path alongside Don Mills Road from the existing trail at Charles-Sauriol/ET Seton up to the intersection w/Overlea is open.

View attachment 278247
View attachment 278248
View attachment 278249
From Rudy Limeback's Twitter:
Note for cyclists, the connection at the bottom is still a stair case.

PS, this is the 'before shot'

View attachment 278253
Yes, it's been open for around 2 months. It's really nice!

The new painted lines along Gerrard appear to be wider - will this accommodate a barrier to prevent delivery trucks?

View attachment 278524

As I look at those 2 courier trucks blocking bike lanes on both sides of the road, I'm struck by the fact there is an actual lay-by on the south side that at least one, if not both could have pulled into and left the bike lanes unimpeded.

Back