News   Apr 23, 2024
 751     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Bike Lanes coming to Brimley Rd in Scarborough, from Kingston Rd to Lawrence; apparently being installed this week!

Render below from the City's brochure promoting them.

1593884601226.png

PS, anyone else find it funny they superimposed this on a real picture with a bus occupying what would be the bike lane, such that it looks like its stalking the cyclist?

I don't think TrickyRicky was getting at the cost of cycling, but rather that cycling in Toronto is largely in domain of the young, able-bodied and fit, who have enough risk tolerance to attempt cycling on our dangerous streets.

We need to enhance our cycling infrastructure so that a 5-year old and an 85-year old can feel equally safe cycling in Toronto as the 25- or 35-year old.

View attachment 255426

Right now our streets cater to 8% of potential cyclists, when it should be 68%.

What does catering for 68% and 8% look like? Compare these streets in Rotterdam and the Danforth that I conveniently have saved on my laptop from years ago:

View attachment 255427

Off topic but for a city with some very amazing green spaces Toronto sure sucks at growing trees on street.

Off topic but for a city with some very amazing green spaces Toronto sure sucks at growing trees on street.
Urban streets are pretty much horrendous growing conditions for trees everywhere, their roots are restricted by hard surfaces, choked of air, and must deal with car exhaust, trampling feet, and acidic dog piss, but I have to imagine that above all that, Toronto is among the worst locales for street trees because of the exuberant and unnecessary amount of road salt we dump in the winter.

Things have improved markedly with new planter designs.

But if nothing else, there are large numbers of old planters be they the square concrete boxes or small covered tree pits in which any tree will be challenged for years to come. For the most part those will only be addressed if they are in a BIA as part of streetscape work or when the road undergoes reconstruction.

Now, that said, there are remaining challenges even with better planters.

Trees face road salt issues as noted above; we either need to use a lot less (ideal) or protect trees, especially when young from excessive amounts of salt by putting up splatter barriers heading into winter.

A further issue is overhead hydro wires which can lead to severe cutting of trees to protect the wires.

Dog piss can be an issue, though less of one for established trees with large soil volumes.

We also face the problems of contractors (as with Bloor Street) who do not use the specified soils...........

Species problems either at the level of what the City has chosen or what contractors sometimes substitute.

As well as water issues, especially with young trees whose roots have often been severely cut back to allow a transplant.

All of these are addressable.

Some of it is money; some of it is leadership and passion within the department.

Bike lane? What bike lane?!
0A00ACD9-33B2-4203-AB22-F7FC771A8703.jpeg

This dunce is hardly alone. The “bike lane” from from Yonge to Ted Rogers Way is basically a glorified Uber loading zone (or in many cases a full fledged car lane).

Every time I’ve taken it post-install, car drivers seem to be trying to outdo each other in expressing their contempt for the the whole “don’t drive your car in a bike lane” thing.

Bike lane? What bike lane?!
View attachment 255743

This dunce is hardly alone. The “bike lane” from from Yonge to Ted Rogers Way is basically a glorified Uber loading zone (or in many cases a full fledged car lane).

Every time I’ve taken it post-install, car drivers seem to be trying to outdo each other in expressing their contempt for the the whole “don’t drive your car in a bike lane” thing.
Spoke to a guy the other day who was sitting on my ass in his SUV all the way from the driveway just east of Yonge to Church. He said "I was trying to merge". Some sort of protection can't come soon enough, and I imagine this coming week we will see some. Canada Day week is a slow one, but things will pick up again on Monday. Wouldn't be surprised if we see flexi posts go up this week, concrete would be cry-worthy.

Can we see some guerrilla urbanism on this stretch (and others)? Just a row of pylons would do the trick. And challenge the city if they remove the pylons (and put in another row).

Saw a Twitter response from Mike Layton over the weekend indicating that physical protection is to be added on that stretch of Bloor "soon."

He also confirmed that the permanent Bloor W. extension (Shaw to Runnymede) is slated for installation sometime in August.

Is there a study/plan to extend them west of Runnymede?

A bunch of stuff got posted for the Meadoway end of June

and here is the full EA in case you missed it

1594053740946.png

Heres the full alignment.

Meadoway-Preferred-Alignment-MAP-108x24-final-June25-CA-RSZ2.png

Here are the takeaways of the final decisions for alignments for the 3 main areas where trails are being improved/connections made

Section 3

Section 3.png

Section 5
Section 5.png

Section 6.

Section 6.png

I really like the improvements to Section 3 they are proposing. I'd never expect them to propose a new bridge over the Stouffville GO/RT, I assumed we were stuck riding on-street forever for that section.

I'm really surprised they are proposing to build in the hydro corridor in Section 5 when the trail already exists along Ellesmere in that section. But I prefer it.

The only thing I don't like is Section 6. I don't understand why they have to veer so far south away from the 401. There are already cutouts in place for crossing Morningside and the on-ramp right beside the 401.

I think they want to route people through the Pan Am complex. I dunno, I wish they would give the option of people to go more directly across as well.

Heres also some visualization toolkits with lots of renderings

Last edited:

Back