News   Apr 16, 2024
 17     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

A report on the agenda for the January 8th meeting of Government Management Ctte seeks to authorize an increase in fees for DTAH who are overseeing aspects of the Lower Don Trail project.

From the above:

View attachment 530200

View attachment 530201
View attachment 530202
Cycled past this today - a very small amount of obvious progress after 4 months. This project is NOT a good example of a well-managed PFR Project (unlike the Bathurst Quay Silos by @bowen !!) Sigh

In Montreal again, staying downtown, but a little further to the west, so closer to Concordia. A couple of photos of bike lanes - definitive bike lanes at that. Whether to protect the concrete curbs during the winter season from plow damage, or as a guard against vehicle intrusions for stopping and or parking, this would be my idea of a separated bike lane. The last photo is of Norman Bethune taking in the view in a coffee laden atmosphere. I think Dr Bethune would have approved of the biking ‘collective’.
IMG_4316.jpeg
IMG_4317.jpeg
IMG_4318.jpeg

Thanks for the pics; indeed progress does seem a bit too slow! Though the track along Bayview is really pretty good, I miss not being able to cycle beside the Don. Hope they get on with the track (and the new connections to Riverdale Park. The Project website could do with some more updates! https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/
The track gets rough once you approach the DVP ramps, especially for the Mamil bikers, leading some to ride on Bayview itself and risk crossing the exit ramp, sometimes with deadly results.

I’d like to see the vehicle exit ramp from the DVP to northbound Bayview redesigned. For starters put a barrier between north and south Bayview so that idiot drivers are unable to make illegal left turns and cause crashes. Next, install a tunnel or other means for sport riders who do not wish to use the often slow shared-use separated path to avoid cars coming down the ramp onto Bayview north.

The track gets rough once you approach the DVP ramps, especially for the Mamil bikers, leading some to ride on Bayview itself and risk crossing the exit ramp, sometimes with deadly results.

I’d like to see the vehicle exit ramp from the DVP to northbound Bayview redesigned. For starters put a barrier between north and south Bayview so that idiot drivers are unable to make illegal left turns and cause crashes. Next, install a tunnel or other means for sport riders who do not wish to use the often slow shared-use separated path to avoid cars coming down the ramp onto Bayview north.

I'm not sure of where this project is at, at the moment, but I know that the City was mulling making Bayview at the DVP/Bloor Ramp a traffic light regulated intersection. I believe this was to be achieved w/changes to the ramps at the level of Bayview, as I can't see them syncing the grade here.

I'm not sure of where this project is at, at the moment, but I know that the City was mulling making Bayview at the DVP/Bloor Ramp a traffic light regulated intersection. I believe this was to be achieved w/changes to the ramps at the level of Bayview, as I can't see them syncing the grade here.
Changes in the layout would definitely be needed, as making the DVP/Bayview northbound exit a traffic light-regulated intersection would cause a logjam of cars waiting to go north, and thus blocking all the cars wanting to go south, forcing the latter temporarily into the left lane where they would disrupt the vehicular flow up to Bloor. Looking at the map, https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6802958,-79.3666906,17.25z?entry=ttu I can't see an easy fix that will protect cyclists on Bayview. So, the best fix is to restrict cyclists to the dedicated path and improve the track condition so that sport bikes can use it.

Back