News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 880     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

So no progress on this front (not even on the studies) despite being identified as a "short term priority" in the Bikeways Trails Implementation Plan (initiated in 2011), and listed in the Implementation Plan for the year 2016. I recall there also used to be a page set up for this in the cycling projects section of the city's web site, which has since been removed. What the hell has the city been up to all these years?

View attachment 191661

View attachment 191654

It was even supposed to be completed for the Pan AM Path.

Thats 3, 3! Separate initiatives to get it done.

another bad apple. Police would like to interview him.

Looks like the cyclist try to jump a green (on the crosswalk). Based on the pedestrian light which is in view. He got hit and then blames the driver. (0.45 seconds he gets hit, 0.48 seconds the light turns green for pedestrians)

- running a red
- cyclist using the pedestrian crosswalk
- assault (with a weapon?)
- hit and run

Hope he turns himself in

Last edited:

Looks like the cyclist try to jump a green (on the crosswalk). Based on the pedestrian light which is in view. He got hit and then blames the driver. (0.45 seconds he gets hit, 0.48 seconds the light turns green for pedestrians)

- running a red
- hit and run

Hope he turns himself in

He also biked away on the wrong side of that road, in that narrow section between bremner and lakeshore. I hate bikers like that (saying that as a year-round TO biker)

- running a red
- hit and run

Hope he turns himself in

I’m feeling quite satisfied with this latest development.
As a result of that video, the courier company that employed the cyclist terminated him over the weekend.

“My manager basically said, ‘Head straight to the police station and turn yourself in,’” QA Courier President Peter Hanson told CTV News Toronto over the weekend.

Police said that the suspect turned himself into officers at 14 Division on Sunday night.

Paolo Diluciano, 30, was charged with assault with a weapon, assault causing bodily harm and mischief.

He appeared in a courtroom at Old City Hall on Monday morning wearing a T-shirt and shorts.

Diluciano was released on $1,000 bail and told the judge he “100 per cent” understood the conditions imposed on him.

Ok....I'm streaming the motions from Council on the bike plans, and will report in the next short while.

But for the moment........I want to report my complete and utter shock at Councillor Nunziata not only making a very pro-bike lane series of comments, but actually pushing 2 motions to add bike lanes to her ward, including all of Jane south of 401! o_O

My report shall be delayed, Council is going to recess, so the votes on motions and the Cycling Plan won't be til later in the day.

We're almost a vote, and KWT has made a motion to reinstate the Jarvis bike lanes, the full cost to be recovered from section 37 funds in her ward.

- she's taking some blowback, particularly from Tory and Minnan-Wong

Last edited:
We're almost a vote, and KWT has made a motion to reinstate the Jarvis bike lanes, the full cost to be recovered from section 37 funds in her ward.

This makes no sense to me. Put them on Church Street. Church has space for wider bike lanes (they were very narrow on Jarvis), less traffic that'll be impacted, and gives better coverage of downtown -- not only closer to Yonge/Bay, but the bike lanes can go all the way north to Bloor (possibly farther to Davenport & Bay) and south to Front Street instead of ending at Isabella and Queen.

This makes no sense to me. Put them on Church Street. Church has space for wider bike lanes (they were very narrow on Jarvis), less traffic that'll be impacted, and gives better coverage of downtown -- not only closer to Yonge/Bay, but the bike lanes can go all the way north to Bloor (possibly farther to Davenport & Bay) and south to Front Street instead of ending at Isabella and Queen.

Only possible north of Carlton due to Streetcar tracks, unless your suggesting eliminating the curb lanes all together, and their associated parking in all likelihood.

Only possible north of Carlton due to Streetcar tracks, unless your suggesting eliminating the curb lanes all together, and their associated parking in all likelihood.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. I'm not even sure that it would be necessary to eliminate the curb lanes south of Carlton. Church and Jarvis have the same 15 meter curb-to-curb width south of Carlton.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. I'm not even sure that it would be necessary to eliminate the curb lanes south of Carlton. Church and Jarvis have the same 15 meter curb-to-curb width south of Carlton.

Hmmm, I measured twice using google, I got 13.6m on Church, both times. Maybe I'm having an off day......

Either way, I'm open minded on the bike lanes on Jarvis; but oppose retaining the centre reversible lane. As a driver, I can sometimes find it difficult to read the direction symbols, depending on the angle of the sun. If I have that problem, I know others do as well.

That makes me very concerned about safety.

Last edited:
As a driver, I can sometimes find it difficult to read the direction symbols, depending on the angle of the sun. If I have that problem, I know others do as well.

I've never had that problem, and reversible lanes are common in a lot of cities I've been to. Montreal, New York, Washington and Vancouver all use them in some places.

Motions on the Bike Plan:

Passed - delete reference to pilot for cyclists on sidewalks, add mandate proceed with Eglinton Connects cycling infrastructure.
Passed - prioritize new bike lanes in Weston area, especially links to GO/UP and study bike lanes on Jane.
Passed - consider new cycling bridge over Allen Rd to connect Beltline
Passed - request coordinated plan to extend Bikeshare across Toronto
Defeated - look at requiring cyclists to carry insurance (Karygiannis) (def. 23-3)
Defeated - require staff to report on every bike lane in the plan individually which requires a traffic lane removal.
Passed - staff to report by year end 2019 on creating cycling super highways (motion wording) along all rail corridors that traverse Toronto
Defeated - Revised motion from KWT - now asks for a report to Infrastructure Ctte, in Q1 2020 on reinstating the Jarvis Bike Lanes (10-16)

Some other details:

- Triple Bike Rings on Danforth
- Study Cycle Tracks on Bloor west to High Park, targeted implementation as soon as summer 2020
- Study Cycle Tracks/Bike Lanes on Bloor, Avenue to Church
- Study and begin to design Bike lanes/Cycle tracks for Danforth Broadview to Dawes target report date June 2021.
- Study bike lanes on University Avenue, also consider N-S alternatives to University for a bike lane west of Yonge at the same time.

Lots of other stuff, I will edit shortly when I read the transcribed motion.

Last edited:
How is it that there are no bikelanes anywhere in Parkdale? Streets like MacDonnell, or Seaforth between Brock and Lansdowne are precisely the kind of streets that should have contra-flow bikelanes like they exist in other parts of the city (e.g. Shaw, Havelock, Denison/Bellevue etc.)
Gord Perks has been councillor since 2006 (!) and nothing to show for it

How is it that there are no bikelanes anywhere in Parkdale? Streets like MacDonnell, or Seaforth between Brock and Lansdowne are precisely the kind of streets that should have contra-flow bikelanes like they exist in other parts of the city (e.g. Shaw, Havelock, Denison/Bellevue etc.)
Gord Perks has been councillor since 2006 (!) and nothing to show for it

Perfectly reasonable question...................have you asked Councillor Perks? Because I wouldn't mind hearing his answer.

Back