News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 742     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

More re: ^
Intersections feared most by Montreal cyclists located on bike paths
"This suggests that the designs we are currently using to facilitate cycling in the city are not working to reduce safety fears"

RENÉ BRUEMMER, MONTREAL GAZETTE
Updated: June 23, 2018

The intersections considered by cyclists to be the most dangerous in Montreal are located on some of its most popular bike paths, which were meant to alleviate fears, a new survey suggests.

Included among the worst are the corner where the de Maisonneuve bike path intersects with Berri St., the confluence of Park and Pine Aves., and most of the intersections located along the Rachel St. bike path, one of the busiest in the city.

“It is notable that the most dangerous intersections identified by current cyclists closely follow existing cycling infrastructure — especially the de Maisonneuve and Rachel bike paths,” said head researcher Nick Chaloux, a masters student at McGill University’s school of urban planning. “This suggests that the designs we are currently using to facilitate cycling in the city are not working to reduce safety fears.”

Normally, intersections with bike-path lanes that are heavily used tend to be safer, Chaloux said, because the masses of people using them create more visibility and awareness on the part of users and drivers, a concept referred to as safety in numbers. Instead, at some of the city’s busiest bike intersections, the opposite effect is occurring.

In between intersections on those bike paths, cyclists typically feel very safe, exacerbating the problem, Chaloux noted.

“It’s when you hit the intersection itself that the false sense of safety comes into play, because all of a sudden you have no protection from cars, you have a lane of traffic that you’re not expecting to be there with the bike lane, the traffic lane and the pedestrian lane, and if you’re trying to turn, cars are also trying to turn, it just doesn’t work.

“The reality is that we put a lot of money into the in-between infrastructure, but we never put in bike boxes or signals or anything else at the intersections themselves,” he said.

Poorly designed bike-path intersections result in a convergence of drivers, pedestrians and cyclists who don’t know how to respond to the unregulated space.

“That’s why a lot of accidents are happening around these intersections,” Chaloux said. “People are getting hurt. People are dying. It’s inexcusable that we’re not finding ways to stop it.”

The new data came to light as part of a research project started by McGill’s Transportation Research At McGill (TRAM) group, a division of the university’s school of urban planning that does research primarily linked to transportation.

Nearly 1,400 respondents, most of them daily commuters, filled out surveys online in the spring about their biking habits and their perceptions of danger. The idea was to gauge how to plan cycling infrastructure for different levels of cyclists — the overconfident, those hesitant to try urban cycling, and those in between. A lack of infrastructure that makes cyclists feel safe is one of the main impediments to coercing more people to take up bike commuting.

Montreal’s bike infrastructure, such as its two-way bike lanes on de Maisonneuve and Rachel, were effective at getting people to start commuting, Chaloux said. But now they have become a victim of their own success, attracting many levels of cyclists, some whom meander slowly, while others pass at high speeds.

“So it’s not only cars that are a dangerous element. It can be the cyclists alongside each other,” Chaloux said. “What often comes up in surveys is that a lot of people are scared of their fellow cyclists.”

Dedicated turn signals that give cyclists and cars the opportunity to proceed without fear of collision are one simple solution that Montreal should institute widely but has not, Chaloux said. Lowering vehicular speed limits is another solution.

The fact the city’s new plans for bike paths are often of the safer, uni-directional model, and separated from car traffic, is a sign of hope. Another is the fact the administration is starting to consult active cyclists on what kind of infrastructure they would prefer to see and where they think it should be placed for maximum efficiency.

“They’re reaching out to the cycling community,” Chaloux said. “I think that’s crucial in any city.”

Full details of the TRAM study are expected by the end of July.

rbruemmer@postmedia.com

twitter.com/renebruemmer
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...st-by-montreal-cyclists-located-on-bike-paths

I find this increasingly the case in Toronto:
[“So it’s not only cars that are a dangerous element. It can be the cyclists alongside each other,” Chaloux said. “What often comes up in surveys is that a lot of people are scared of their fellow cyclists.”]

The city did a bit of fixing up for the Shrachan bike lanes overnight last night, including adding a southbound lane between Adelaide and King, and the addition of new markings and sharrows elsewhere:

IMG_1328.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 891
Last edited:
EdwinAve.PNG

Just wanted to point out another version of "contra flow" not-really-a "bike lane". Edwin Ave., going south from Dupont St. in the Junction Triangle.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6648...4!1st389G7HwzLGHOsx84gAklQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This one is different because it's actually a two-way street, but you can't enter it from Dupont St. unless you're on a bike. However, if you're already on the street , you can turn around, come out of a driveway/lane/sidestreet and go back north.

This stretch of Franklin is narrow enough with parking on one side that it was actually quite troublesome when two motorists approached each other, especially in the case of trucks etc.

Attachments

• EdwinAve.PNG
    EdwinAve.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 901
View attachment 148102
Just wanted to point out another version of "contra flow" not-really-a "bike lane". Edwin Ave., going south from Dupont St. in the Junction Triangle.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6648...4!1st389G7HwzLGHOsx84gAklQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This one is different because it's actually a two-way street, but you can't enter it from Dupont St. unless you're on a bike. However, if you're already on the street , you can turn around, come out of a driveway/lane/sidestreet and go back north.

This stretch of Franklin is narrow enough with parking on one side that it was actually quite troublesome when two motorists approached each other, especially in the case of trucks etc.

The one that annoys me the most is Sumach north of King Street - when they installed the new Cherry Street tracks a few years ago, they painted the intersection like this:

asdfasdf.JPG

This was done in anticipation of a contra flow bike lane being installed on Sumach Street, which I believe is finally scheduled for this summer. But for the last 2-3 years, it has been a contra flow marking for a street that is actually still a one way southbound with no contraflow.

It's so confusing that Streetview actually captured a cyclist riding the wrong way on the street:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6567...4!1sAsQnNNeydYTZbQ14COPw5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Attachments

• asdfasdf.JPG
    asdfasdf.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 585
View attachment 148102

Wild! With this post, and the pic, and the one @insertrealname posted and described exactly one block away from picture below, I got caught in a space-time continuum:
upload_2018-6-26_16-53-45.png

I blame the lack of drugs...

Addendum: Best I explain that, I flashed on the above view mentally when overlaying the two previous posts, then thought to myself "that's obtuse" only to have Google Streetview confirm flashed impression. Some details are obviously different, but the general 'flash image' in the mind is remarkably similar.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-26_16-53-45.png
    upload_2018-6-26_16-53-45.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 540
Last edited:
TorStar running this story. The only thing I find shocking is that Torontonians are waking up to this so incredibly late. I was actually banned last year labouring in this very string the point about how ridiculously bad the Adelaide and Bathurst 'green lay-by' was for safety, flow, and intuition. There were perhaps two other posters who got the point. And then the fact that it had been botched hit the Star. The dead have more rights to the road than the living in Toronto.
Bike lane design allows for hearse parking | The Star

Ditto on the Bloor Lanes. Cressy and Layton have now both radically changed their tunes. Jeezuz H Keerist. But I digress...It doesn't meet the HTA requirements let alone local bylaw ones. It's very dangerous. That story will be revisited in detail due to the St George - Bloor death last week.
Female cyclist, 58, dies after being hit by truck in the Annex - Toronto ...

She was obviously naive in believing white lines on the road would protect her. And the City is now promoting cyclists flying along the King Street Pilot with inches to streetcar tracks one side, and planters et al the other. And a tar filler strip in the pavement right in the middle of that cycling allowance that any serious cyclist would know to avoid. What could possibly go wrong?

We spent rush hour watching cyclists and drivers navigate an ‘absolutely terrifying’ Toronto intersection. Most did it wrong
By TAMAR HARRISStaff Reporter
Tues., June 26, 2018

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...g-toronto-intersection-most-did-it-wrong.html

Btw: The author of this article has at least two glaring oversights in her examination of the situation depicted. That's how freakin' dangerous it is. No blame on the author, it's a very good article, but the infrastructure as is is just so full of contradictions and is terribly thought out.

Not to mention that at least some drivers and cyclists would assume that 'green paving' denotes a "cycle box".

At least some in other nations are asking questions:
Green cycle boxes: what's the point? - Northern Ireland Greenways
https://nigreenways.com/belfast-cycling/green-cycle-boxes-whats-the-point/
Feb 25, 2013 - The green cycle box is arguably the most high profile cycling investment in Northern Ireland in the last decade. Roads Service have mercilessly ...

Meantime, the 'Green Washing' continues unabated by those who think you can paint your way to safety, and doing more harm than good by doing so:
Bike Boxes in Toronto
Posted on March 27, 2012 by dandy

Bike Boxes in Toronto

Evaluation report due this summer

By Justin Robertson

On her way to work on recent spring morning, Nancy Smith Lea was cycling along College, approaching Spadina Avenue, when on her left, a tractor-trailer was making its way through traffic trying to pass her to make right-hand turn at the intersection. When Smith Lea approached the intersection she stopped, put one foot on the road and waited along with four or five other cyclists inside the safe haven of the bike box. The big truck sat a good few meters back behind the pack of cyclists, behind the white painted line.

“This is a typically dangerous situation, and especially at College and Spadina, it’s a pinch point for cyclists," she said.

Smith Lea, the director of Toronto Centre for Active Transportation (TCAT) and the lead on next month's Complete Streets Forum, said bike boxes may form part of the discussion on improving cyclist safety from a Complete Streets perspective.

"Bike boxes are just another tool to increase safety. In Toronto, they seem to work well, but I wish there were more of them to use,” she said. “It’s still early days to evaluate them. People are still getting used to them and I think cyclists don’t know exactly what to do with them or how to use them. I really think more education is required." (Check out our new Bike Spotting set from the Bike Boxes on St. George at Harbord.)

Toronto installed its first bike box on Harbord Street in 2010 (following a stunt in which the Urban Repair Squad guerilla art group painted bike boxes at Bathurst and Harbord that cyclists started using right away) then the city installed more on College in 2011. It was a decision to improve safety for cyclists.

Daniel Egan, manager, cycling infrastructure and programs transportation services division City of Toronto, said the use of bike boxes in North America has spiked in the past three years. “I’ve seen them across Canada – including Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver – but also in Portland and New York,” he said. “We are starting to see more and more of them.”

In 2008, more than 60 bike boxes were installed in New York City; Chicago installed their first green bike box last year; and other cities including San Francisco, Washington and Boston all boast a handful of painted bike box squares. Portland has become highly touted as North America's biking capital, with 200 miles of biking paths installed since 2000. Over the last decade, Portland's cycling community has increased by 80 per cent. Their iconic bright green bike boxes are hard to miss, making it easy to use for cyclists and clearly visible to motorists.

A study released by The Center for Transportation Research at the University of Texas worked with city employees in Austin’s Transportation Department to analyze and collect video data at a number of intersections where a variation of four traffic devices were installed -- including bike boxes. The data showed bike boxes initiated positive changes and, only one out of five cyclists figured out how to use them correctly.

The study also highlighted how brightly coloured lanes prompted 74 per cent of drivers to yield to bicycles, compared to 38 per cent prior to the changes.

The City of Toronto is working on an evaluation of bike boxes, which, according to Egan will be released this summer. The evaluation will involve collecting anecdotal feedback from cyclists and motorists and will analyze video footage taken at designated bike box intersections Egan said, because bike boxes are relatively new on the road, searching for data on their impact and if they reduce collisions is difficult.

“One of the major hurdles is that, there hasn't been many studies conducted -- in Toronto and other cities -- to determine how the boxes get used, how effective they are, and if cyclists feel comfortable using them,” he said.

CHECK OUT our first Bike Box Bike Spotting here.

TCAT is hosting Canada’s fifth Complete Streets Forum on April 23 at the Evergreen Brickworks.
http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2012/03/27/bike-boxes-in-toronto/

Here's a unique and proven concept: Get cyclists and drivers to freakin look and think before doing anything. Won't work, especially in this part of the world. You have to design to accommodate the idiots, driving, cycling and walking on the roads.

That means separated infrastructure, and it means intersections based on the Dutch and Danish ones that Toronto has suddenly 'discovered'. But it might take dozens more deaths yet....to form an inquiry to have a hearing to propose a plan to discuss looking at it. Maybe.

But meantime the vast majority of cyclists will continue on their suicide missions completely oblivious of the obvious...their bells will magically make everything alright as they ring them incessantly. And the religious powers of the holy Green Box will bless every careless, stupid mistake they make. Not...

Last edited:
For those interested, Portland just a released a draft of their Protected Bike Lane Design Guide: https://bikeportland.org/2018/06/26...on-of-protected-bike-lane-design-guide-284675
I didn't click on this initially, thinking it was for Portland Street, Toronto!

[...]
For engineers, the guide gives plug-and-play directions on how to redesign Portland streets. It breaks down the six categories of protected bike lanes — from basic ones that use plastic wands, to the City’s preferred design that puts the bike lane at sidewalk level and separates it from cars and drivers with a four-foot wide buffer zone. Engineers can use metrics like current volume of bicycle riders, parking availability, and speed of drivers to quickly determine which protected bike lane design is appropriate for the context.

For project managers and politicians, the guide lays out cost estimates and even calculates the expected decrease in on-street parking supply when various bike lane designs are implemented.

Does your project reconfigure two miles of roadway? Now you know it will cost about $70,000 per mile for low-end protected bike lanes and up to $2.8 million per mile for larger streets where you should separate the bike lane from other lanes with a full concrete median.
[...]
Yes!

More on the Richmond/Bay fiasco:
Good design makes tricky intersection easy to navigate — for drivers and cyclists
By EDWARD KEENANStar Columnist
Wed., June 27, 2018
[...]
The problem at Richmond and Bay is that the city has painted the entire right-turn lane green, in an effort to alert everyone to the presence of cyclists. They have painted white cycling sharrows and a green turn arrow onto the area, in an effort to show it is to be shared. The hope is that all users will know that the rule here should be the same as the standard rule: turning cars should hug the curb, cyclists wanting to proceed straight ahead should stay to the left of these cars.

But it appears almost no one in the city already knows that is supposed to be the standard rule — a sad state of affairs, but easy to see if you watch any intersection where cyclists pedal up on the right side of cars waiting to turn right, and motorists leave them lots of room to do so. It’s wrong, dangerous, and common.

And the paint on the road at Richmond and Bay seems to have only made it more confusing. When cyclists see green paint, they say, “this is my space!” When motorists see green paint, they think the same thing and try to stay as far to the left of the lane as they can, thinking they are helpfully leaving room for bikes. The confusion is unnecessary.

The city has applied a different approach at the tricky intersection where Dundas, Annette, Dupont and Old Weston meet. The bike lane approaching the intersection from the west comes up to a big, much-used right-turn lane. The solution here: the right turn lane is unpainted black pavement, just like the car lanes in the middle of the road, with a familiar white right-turn arrow on it. The bike lane is painted green, and proceeds in a strip to the left of the turn lane, showing cyclists where to go. The green strip actually proceeds through the intersection onto Dupont, marking the lane consistently.
[...]

bikes_and_cars_at_interesection.jpg

At the intersection of Dundas, Dupont, Annette and Old Weston, the right turn lane is unpainted black pavement, just like the car lanes in the middle of the road. (EDWARD KEENAN / TORONTO STAR)
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...asy-to-navigate-for-drivers-and-cyclists.html

There are still some very serious issues with that intersection. Cycling north on Dundas and continuing past the slip road to Dupont is extremely dangerous, as almost all motorist presume they have the right of way to not signal, and not have to yield to bikes on their right who are continuing along Dundas:

upload_2018-6-28_8-33-6.png

Google has indicated "Dundas St" incorrectly above, just part of the general confusion. Cars go flying up Dundas to take that off slip. I've been clipped twice, even when indicating that I'm continuing left up Dundas proper. Someone is going to get killed there.

Again, the City is completely remiss in not having broken dashed lines across that exit slip. And under the HTA, motorists and cyclists alike are required to signal a right turn and yield right of way to other users already occupying the lane.

Keenan is right about the *better* marking on Annette, but it is still not completely safe. The same marked configuration occurs (or did, it's all changed for construction right now, perilously so) on Richmond at Bathurst where it was a nightmare where cyclists and motorists alike generally had no idea of how to navigate it correctly, and at Bloor eastbound at Bathurst, which *intuitively depicts* the proper flow, but is still very dangerous for cyclists to use without checking over their shoulders, something very few cyclists do.

The Danes, Dutch and many other Europeans would still be absolutely appalled at what Keenan thinks is good design. It's better than the awful ones, it doesn't make it 'safe'.

Note the total ambiguity of the use of broken lines to indicate (ostensibly) that cyclists can proceed up the slip exit shown above, but that dotted line isn't continued across the slip to indicate same to motorists that the RoW is continued to the left, not straight ahead:

upload_2018-6-28_8-48-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-28_8-33-6.png
    upload_2018-6-28_8-33-6.png
    1 MB · Views: 564
  • upload_2018-6-28_8-48-58.png
    upload_2018-6-28_8-48-58.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 583
Last edited:
I find the Adelaide and Jarvis intersection to be intuitive for cyclists and drivers (except for the vehicle caught by Google's streetview cam).

View attachment 148534

It appears that this vehicle did correctly enter into the right turn lane/cycle lane (hopefully 50m back where the dotted line is). He/she should be over further to the right (not blocking the cyclists that should be to the left of him). He/she technically is not breaking any law since there is only one lane of traffic for both cyclists going straight and right turners ... but its more about etiquette.

As for road markings the green paint should be underneath the bike symbols as well as crossing the entire intersection so that it is even more clear to both cyclists and motorists what the expectation is.

Overall a solid 8/10 for intuitive road markings

Back