Cycling infrastructure (Separate bike lanes headed downtown)

Discussion in 'Transportation and Infrastructure' started by MetroMan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MetroMan

MetroMan Senior Member

This I didn't expect. The Ford administration is proposing physically separate bike lanes downtown, including a new one along Richmond...

[​IMG]

Source

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

2. whatever

whatever Senior Member

I like this much more than the old method of slapping random lines on the map, but I'm a little concerned about the two-way lane on Richmond. It seems like a recipe for disaster to have cyclists going counterflow along that street. I'd rather see two one-way lanes installed on Richmond and Adelaide, so that you don't have drivers faced with cyclists unexpectedly riding in the wrong direction. Either that or move the bike lanes down to Front.

Hopefully that marks the end of the Jarvis lanes as well

3. dt_toronto_geek

dt_toronto_geek Superstar

My cynical self thinks this is a crumb thrown out to placate cyclists. Unless existing lanes are kept in place and a long term plan for protected bike lanes drawn up, I'm not buying it. As is, this doesn't take me anywhere that I need to get to except to Queens Quay in the summer.

4. JWBF

JWBF Senior Member

Scarborough - Eglinton & Danforth - Ward 38
    Yes, Richmond may just be nasty.

It is a start, maybe Ford should look at the bike route plans purposed in Mississauga, the true "Car City".

5. GraphicMatt

GraphicMatt Looking forward to a FRESH START for Toronto

Great, great news. Good on Minnan-Wong for following through - he's been advocating for a network of separated lanes for years.

6. gweed123

gweed123 Moderator Staff Member

I think Richmond could work. However, the lanes should be placed on the south side of the road, as the traffic flows westbound. That way, the right lane in the bike ROW is going with traffic, not against it. If you have 1 lane of bike between you and traffic, it will make it feel less like you're going the wrong way down a 1 way street. That is to say, if you're heading east along Richmond in the bike lane, you're closer to the sidewalk than you are to the traffic that's headed in the opposite direction you are.

Overall though, a pretty decent plan. I wonder why the existing bike lanes on Gerrard were not included in the plan though? Seems to me like there would be much less opposition to just shifting bike lanes around on a street (because they're already there), as opposed to putting in new ones. Seems like that would be a great place to put the prototype in asap. It's a relatively minor street in downtown, and it already HAS bike traffic.

7. Prometheus The Supremo

Prometheus The Supremo ►Member №41+⅜◄

how do you clean the snow in the winter with the curb?

8. gweed123

gweed123 Moderator Staff Member

Same way they do now: do a really shitty job of it, and you have piles of snow and slush everywhere.

9. reaperexpress

reaperexpress Senior Member

I resent that map. St. George, Beverley, Wellesley and Sherbourne already have satisfactory bike lanes, so RF should not get credit for building them. Protected bike lanes on those streets would ironically be less safe.

10. k10ery

k10ery Senior Member

Why less safe?

11. Jonny5

Jonny5 Senior Member

Can you elaborate on what you disaster you think would occour when a driver sees a cyclist going "the wrong way"? I can't think of any.

12. GraphicMatt

With Richmond, you'd just need a more prominent curb protecting the two lanes. Like this:

[​IMG]

steveintoronto likes this.
  13. leopetr

leopetr Active Member

I support both the Richmond bike lanes in this plan and the Jarvis bike lanes put in under Miller. I listened to Minnan-Wong on CBC this morning, and I don't understand the distinction between Jarvis and Richmond. Both Jarvis and Richmond are major arterials. If anything, Richmond likely gets more car traffic.

Is the difference that Jarvis is used by drivers from Rosedale while Richmond is used by drivers from Scarborough and York Region? Or do I overestimate the amount of driving that goes on on Richmond?

14. GraphicMatt

I just think Minnan-Wong is a reactionary partisan - it's similar to his criticizing water rates going up last year as 'massive tax increase' yet standing behind this year's increase. He just tended to vote against David Miller initiatives. Pavlovian.

This is just generally good news, though. People should avoid trying to find fault with it just because it's coming from the Ford administration. A Richmond lane would seriously be a game changer.

15. Woodbridge_Heights

Woodbridge_Heights Senior Member

Loving how this is being spun as a bad thing. Protected bicycle lanes? Thank you very much!