391     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 589     0 

Cumberland Cinema Redevelopment into Nespresso Flagship COMPLETE

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/05/cumberland_cinema_to_become_nespresso_outlet/

Cumberland Cinema to become Nespresso outlet

Posted by Chris Bateman / MAY 8, 2012

The Cumberland Four - the former home of an Alliance and Cineplex brand movie house - will be "extensively redeveloped" from its existing cinema configuration so it can host a sprawling Nespresso coffee equipment store and cafe, according to Jordan Karp, the real estate agent that brokered the move.

Under the still-secret designs, the existing concrete wall facing Cumberland Street (shown above) will be torn down and replaced by a 45-foot, all-glass facade. Inside, the theatre will be completely gutted and redesigned to provide a better layout for retail and hospitality. The work will start in June and take just over a year once the necessary approval process is complete.

Update with additional info.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/05/cumberland_cinema_to_become_nespresso_outlet/

After speaking on the phone with Jordan Karp from the real estate company handling the move a few more details are available about alterations to the theatre. It seems the most striking element will be the fully re-worked glass facade that will allow a full view into the building from Cumberland Street.

"The concrete you see right now facing Cumberland will be replaced by two-and-a-half storey high glass," says Karp. "Right now if you went into the building you have basically a bunch of concrete and fire escape doors. [Nespresso] will be relocating the fire escapes, they'll be doing some major interior relocation." The work will also include improvements to a laneway entrance to the building from Bloor Street.

The landlord, EmTwo Properties, is reportedly working with designs by Turner Fleischer - the firm behind the recent Maple Leaf Gardens renovations. Several other high-end fashion companies expressed an interest in the theatre during an international advertising campaign but Nespresso was apparently chosen for "something of quality that would bring excitement to the Yorkville neighbourhood," said Karp.

This seems like an absurdly huge space for selling coffee makers. I wonder how much of it will actually get used, and how much will be invisibly locked away, like the old below-ground cinema at Hudson's Bay Centre. (I have great hopes that that space is actually being used as a lair for a supervillain.)

There are five primary levels for this space which must currently be in the neighbourhood of, or approaching, 200,000 sq. ft., what a job they have ahead of them. Level 1 (basement) is cinema #1, projection suite, lower lobby area, storage areas, men's/women's restrooms, elevator, access to the office tower's basement cafeteria and a 60-seat screening room & up three steps are offices, change rooms, more lobby space & storage space. The next level is cinema two then up 3 stairs is the main lobby, storage, elevator, hidden ramped hallway to cinema #2 with men's/women's accessible restrooms, concession area, storage areas & main entrance off Cumberland. The next level up are the main men's/women's restrooms, cinema #2 projection suite with stairs to projection suite for cinemas #3 & 4. Next level are cinemas #3 & 4, elevator and lobby area. The top level is the projection suite for cinemas #3 & 4 which is equal to the 3rd floor of the office tower - there's an emergency exit into there which used to be where the Famous Players advertising team did ads for the newspapers & other print media.
I sure kept in shape running up and down those stairs all day! It wasn't the most user friendly cinema complex but they sure made good use of the space. I have so many great memories of working there, I'm honestly sad to see it go and I sure will miss it.

Cumberland Cinema Conversion to Nespresso Boutique

nespressoj9.jpg

Cumberland four to coffee house: Movie theatre to become a Nespresso flagship store
Published on Tuesday May 08, 2012
Share on twitter Share on facebook
TARA WALTON/TORONTO STAR The Cumberland Theatre is converting to a Nespresso coffee flagship store.
Morgan Campbell
Business Reporter
2 Comments

Future plans for the recently-shuttered Cumberland Four theatre have become clear, they don’t include building condos.

Instead, it appears to involve plenty of coffee.

Next month work will begin to convert the iconic movie theatre into a Nespresso, a Nestle-owned chain of boutiques that sell high-end espresso makers and gourmet coffee, according to Jordan Karp, the real estate agent who brokered the deal.

Nespresso, however, says it’s still considering several locations for its next Toronto Store.

The proposed transformation of quaint but aging movie theatre to anchor store for an expensive coffee retailer will take 12 to 14 months, Karp says.

He says renovations will remove the top two floors of the building, and reduce floor space from 50,000 square feet to about 25,000, while replacing the Cumberland’s concrete façade with a 45-foot tall glass storefront.

“We’re opening it up and making it into a really spectacular flagship retail space,†Karp says. “It took quite a bit of time to figure out how you could take this single-purpose theatre (and convert it) to a retail building.â€

Nespresso also has locations in Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton, as well a boutique at The Bay on Yonge St.

Karp says Nespresso had scouted the spot on Cumberland St. three years ago, reasoning that real estate in ritzy Yorkville was crucial to advancing the Nespresso brand.

“In New York they’re on Madison Ave., and in Europe they’re on the main high streets,†Karp says. “So location was critical.â€

Located at 159 Cumberland St. in Yorkville, the Cumberland Four opened in 1981 and eventually gained a reputation as a place to see independent films.

The theatre’s operator, Cineplex, had been leasing the space from the building’s landlord on a month-to-month basis, but that lease was recently terminated.

Karp says Nespresso has already signed a long-term lease with the site’s owner, and says the company plans to stay in Yorkville at least 25 years.

One night last week I was peeking in through a few tears in the black cloth that cover the fence on the right hand side and it looks like they are aggressively stripping the interior. I wondered if perhaps they were demolishing the whole cinema portion over to the office tower and rebuilding it until I read the articles here today.

It does seem like an awfully big space for a Nespresso store/cafe, but perhaps there will be other stores/restaurants in the building?

Based on the Montreal outlet, it does seem like Nespresso is well-suited to Yorkville.

Photos of the Montreal Nespresso:
http://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/wkvidfk5S5bBAZ4sKEMf-w?select=5G8WLUlsqcuuHRLVkvKInQ

Video of Montreal Nespresso:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlzCMLbx5yM

I'm hoping there will be more to the Cumberland location than what the Montreal store seems to be, which is just a bigger version of the Nespresso outlet at The Bay in Toronto. It's disappointing they didn't find a way to combine the store and the existing theatre somehow, or the store and *anything* else.

The Montreal although nice is very small. This would for sure be a bigger version of that!

Back