News   Apr 19, 2024
 433     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.4K     2 

CSIO: Canadian Sport Institute of Ontario (Markham Centre; Pan Am Games Project)

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
This project has been proposed for a number of years. With the Pan Am Games bid, there seems to be some renewed interest. I'm not sure what to make of the renderings, and I'm also not sure on the exact site, but I think it's planned to go behind the YMCA at 407/Kennedy.

The Canadian Sports Centre Ontario (CSCO) is proposing to establish and operate the Canadian Sports Institute Ontario, a major multi-sport training and competition facility, in the Town of Markham. The complex will include international level training facilities and competition venues, accommodation services for visiting athletes, office facilities for sport organizations, a home location for a number of Canada's National Teams and will provide the highest level of expertise in coaching, sport science and sport medicine.

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2008/General/gc080922/CSIO%20Sept%20%20Presentation.pdf

http://www.markham.ca/Markham/Templates/generic.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={2197E0AD-862A-499B-A34B-468974FB67DA}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fMarkham%2fDepartments%2fRctnServ%2fMkmSportCouncil%2fCanSptIns.htm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#current

Also remember that Bill Crothers Secondary School, a sort of feeder athletic high school, is under construction at the NW corner of Enterprise and Main Street, across the street, so this sports facility's location (wherever exactly it might be) makes lots of sense adjacent to the YMCA.

I'm also not sure on the exact site, but I think it's planned to go behind the YMCA at 407/Kennedy.

Capture.jpg
Capture2.jpg

These pictures actually go side by side and are looking in the southeast direction with the 2 streets in the background being Kennedy Road on the left and Highway 407 to the right, the street in the foreground is YMCA Blvd, on the far right of the pciture is the Unionville GO train station

yes as canarob mentioned, the CSIO facility is being proposed immediately west of the relatively new YMCA building @ Rivis Rd + YMCA Blvd (shown in left-centre of first rendering)

This could be quite an asset to the GTA, and it's located near "downtown" Markham, Viva and GO transit. I hope it includes some indoor track facilities.

There don't seem to be a lot of details at all. What types of sporting facilities will be there? Where will everyone park? That YMCA parking lot is a nightmare sometimes.

Proposed CSIO Facility Components

extracted from: Markham's website (http://www.markham.ca/Markham/Templates/generic.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={2197E0AD-862A-499B-A34B-468974FB67DA}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fMarkham%2fDepartments%2fRctnServ%2fMkmSportCouncil%2fCanSptIns.htm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#current)

1. International level facilities for hockey, figure skating, short-track speed skating, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, badminton, gymnastics, swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming, as well as several combative sports.
  2. A centre for coaching education and home to the National Coaching Institute of Ontario and the Coaches Association of Ontario.
  3. An association with the major new sports high school located nearby and a link to a broader network of schools, colleges and universities to facilitate athletic education with training support, as well as a shared expertise and resources.
  4. Expert sport medicine and sports science/fitness testing services and state-of-the-art equipment.
  5. Accommodation facilities, food and beverage services and day care support. These and other similar services would be offered in conjunction with the nearby Markham YMCA.
  6. A venue for hosting community, provincial, national and international sport competitions providing a much needed competition location where amateur sport is a priority.
  7. A fully accessible facility for athletes with a disability.
  8. A home for many provincial and national sport organizations and the Canadian Olympic Committee, moving them to a true sport environment close to the athletes and coaches they support.

Back