News   Mar 28, 2024
 212     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 611     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

no one wants to believe this but when they originally were talking about closing the Allen north bound during construction they were also talking about the possibility of filling in the Allen with the extra dirt up until Lawrence. Two councillors said this at LRT meetings to the public which i would consider off the record.

I don't want to believe this. Why would they want to do that?

I am not sure if this is right, but I guess you are saying the residents of Aerodrome Crescent has 3 choices:

1. Skip the Leslie stop and tunnel all the way to Don Mills.
2. Have a south side alignment, keeping all lanes for traffic both during constuction and in the final configuration.
3. Build the LRT and portal in the median, eliminating lanes both temporarily and permanently.

I guess you are right, residents of Aerodrome Crescent are really stupid for chosing option 3 instead of 2.

Since when was option 2 ever presented to the public?

Well as to Leslie (Sheppard Line), with better service & fare integration and a slight shift to the north of Oriole Go station, that could become more useful as a station interchange. Dare I say, even a minor hub? Like Mount Dennis/Weston or Caledonia on the crosstown. I wonder if that was thought of for the medium term.

I'm glad they hung on to the Leslie (Eglinton) stop, though a south side of road alignment could have worked a little better.

Has a relocation of Oriole GO station ever been considered? The current set up is such a wasted opportunity and moving the GO station next to the Leslie subway station would increase system connectivity. Hopefully GO is aware of this.

I'm sure they are but I also think that they probably get higher ridership in its current location with the parking lot under the 401.

I don't want to believe this. Why would they want to do that?

1. They need somewhere to put the dirt. It costs money to get other cities to take our problems from is.

2. The Allen is maintained by the city. It would be one less bill for the city to pay.

3. Glencarin, lawrence and Eglinton would see some development which would help get more users for the stations. Selling that new land to condo builders would make the city monies.

Basically the Allen doesn't really work, and the dirt could be used to make new land available. Most importantly they would save and make money.

Someone told me that when they were thinking of extending the tunnel to Don Mills the station at Laird might have moved east so that it was halfway between Laird and Brentcliffe. That would served the people on Aerodrome much better. On the other hand people west of Laird would have been slightly less well served.

Why are we fretting on Aerodrome Crescent? That is like one short, minor street with only a handful of houses. It doesn't even have direct access to Eglinton.

Provision could have been done at Leslie, but they wanted a transit stop now and not later.
Not according to Metrolinx. They said a future Leslie stop would be impossible with an underground alignment all the way to Don Mills under the current budget.

Since when was option 2 ever presented to the public?

If you would have replied to my entire quote - you would have seen the answer.

If they [the local residents] were not given these options clearly, then of course the residents of Aerodrome Crescent cannot be blamed and all the blame would fall on Metrolix and the their Liberal masters.

Regarding where Lea and Dennis are, there is construction on Eglinton in front of the cemetery and again in front of that plaza just west of caledonia. Does this mean that Dennis would be at the plaza?

I doubt it. I would think it will just be widened where the launch shaft is, which is where it will only be two lanes. I don't think the area from the bridge to Leslie will be affected, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's how I remember it.

The bridge currently has 3 lanes in each direction. Metrolinx has repeatedly said that no lanes would be removed on Eglinton. Thus, they are removing two lanes on the bridge.

I guess the $3M required to widen the bridge is too expensive (on a $5B project).

That's how I remember it.

The bridge currently has 3 lanes in each direction. Metrolinx has repeatedly said that no lanes would be removed on Eglinton. Thus, they are removing two lanes on the bridge.

I guess the $3M required to widen the bridge is too expensive (on a $5B project).

I'm talking about the widening that started yesterday though, which I think is mainly to allow two lanes while the launch shaft is being built. The only thing they're building right now is the tunnels, the surface section hasn't started.

From a layman's perspective, is it not incredibly short-sighted of Metrolinx to make it impossible to extend the Eglinton Crosstown? I was taught in school that building in extension provisions for any project is a must, as transit dynamics change over the years and extensions may be warranted in the future.

Back