News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

A report to the October 26th meeting of the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte addresses how residents of Wynford Drive are expected to get to their Crosstown LRT stop, given that the roads are grade-separated.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-171902.pdf

The gist is that a new sidewalk/ramp will be built along the connecting ramp/road from Wynford to Eglinton.

Aside: How was a solution for this not considered during the initial project design?

Last edited:
A report to the October 26th meeting of the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte addresses how residents of Wynford Drive are expected to get to their Crosstown LRT stop, given that the roads are grade-separated.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-171902.pdf

The gist is that a new sidewalk/ramp will be build along the connecting ramp/road from Wynford to Eglinton.

Aside: How was a solution for this not considered during the initial project design?
Why wasn't a switchback ramp considered?

The gist is that a new sidewalk/ramp will be build along the connecting ramp/road from Wynford to Eglinton.

Back of napkin plans, whatcha gonna go about it?

Couldn’t think of a better thread for this…. Taken yesterday. The point being, Edmonton’s new LRT is in testing just like Crosstown.

Back when Ottawa and iOn were a-building there was suspense about which would open first. I suspect Edmonton will beat Toronto this time.

Impressive that we soon will have all four LRT’s complete, with three more on the way in Ontario and one in Quebec. That’s progress for sure.

- Paul
168A2252-306A-4809-933D-CEFF95F49C7E.jpeg

Running real late and with the rain, took a look at Mount Dennis, Black Creek, Keelesdale and Caledonia areas only.

Westbound Eglinton between Weston Rd and Black Creek will be 2 lanes with a duel direction cycling lane where the curb lane was and a wider sidewalk. Couldn't understand why a barrier wall was in the curb lane at Mount Dennis Entrance until today for the last number of mouths and still wondering why. Until I have a real close look to make sure I am seeing as to what I am think I am seeing, could be wrong for this post. Both the sidewalk and cycle path raise to the top or above it with a slop to the barrier. Need handrails there for sure

The sidewalk at Weston is very large and partly due to the cycle path.

Foundation walls of the planters are being form for the plaza.

The westbound lanes have been fully rebuilt east of Weston Rd to the bridge and not sure where it stop without a closer look.

Work is underway at Black Creek for installing traffic lights foundations and support for them and preparing to build the new median.

Eglinton east of Black Creek is ready for paving.

Keelesdale
Only a small amount of exterior work to be done in TTC Bus terminal area as well the vent area on Eglinton, otherwise it complete outside.

Caledonia
Whoa!! what a change since my last visit as all the hoarding is gone and landscaping well underway. Stairs have been built to the plaza with a bike grove on the east side that will see handrail on the west side. Large rocks been used as part of a retaining wall.

The walkway mostly built to the station from the plaza driveway.

Still a lot of work on the entrance itself.

Crash wall being built next to the Barrie Line with a lot of back filling to be done.

Taking to some power to be for the station, lots and lot of change orders for the station. Have yet to see a project that hasn't seen a change orders, but some see far too many. Sound like this station is see a greater number than it should. It was said that this station could be turn over to Metrolinx on Friday, but Metrolinx would spend another 14 months playing with their choo choo and making changes to the station.

Exterior could be finish by Dec with luck.

Photos to follow

Couldn’t think of a better thread for this…. Taken yesterday. The point being, Edmonton’s new LRT is in testing just like Crosstown.

Back when Ottawa and iOn were a-building there was suspense about which would open first. I suspect Edmonton will beat Toronto this time.

Impressive that we soon will have all four LRT’s complete, with three more on the way in Ontario and one in Quebec. That’s progress for sure.

- PaulView attachment 357076

We should have bought the 7 segment Flexities.

They werent available as a product choice when Metrolinx procured the Flexity Freedoms. I believe it was only a year or 2 after they were procured that Bombardier started to offer that length.

Which is a damn shame for sure, because frankly yes we would've benefit from longer trains. The amount of space wasted between each vehicle is significant.

They werent available as a product choice when Metrolinx procured the Flexity Freedoms. I believe it was only a year or 2 after they were procured that Bombardier started to offer that length.

Which is a damn shame for sure, because frankly yes we would've benefit from longer trains. The amount of space wasted between each vehicle is significant.
Metrolinx didn't order them they were originally part of the order that the TTC and city made for the crosstown line and they got signed over once Metrolinx took over. Metrolinx made no changes to the overall design of them.

They wouldn't fit on any other Transit City Lines at the time. All the lines were designed for a multiple of 30m LRVs. Crosstown and SRT being 3x30m and Finch/Sheppard being 2x30m. The ML panic and we are left with 1x48m Alstom Citadis LRVs being the ultimate train length instead of 2x30m trains. Who knows if the surface stop platform would be 60m length. It wouldn't matter in the near future as the line is stuck with these Citadis for the next 30 years.

They wouldn't fit on any other Transit City Lines at the time. All the lines were designed for a multiple of 30m LRVs. Crosstown and SRT being 3x30m and Finch/Sheppard being 2x30m. The ML panic and we are left with 1x48m Alstom Citadis LRVs being the ultimate train length instead of 2x30m trains. Who knows if the surface stop platform would be 60m length. It wouldn't matter in the near future as the line is stuck with these Citadis for the next 30 years.
The could be sold to someone who wants 30m cars and replace with longer ones over the next 10 years.

So at Eglinton Station are they building a new elevator to connect from the subway platform to the LRT Platform or are they extending the existing elevator to go to the LRT platform?

Last edited:
If you’ll pardon one more shot from the competition…. Here’s a nearly-ready Edmonton LRT stop. Note how there is a shelter for each door opening on the tram. I think this is far superior to Crosstown’s design as it distributes sheltering riders down the platform, making boarding quicker than if they all huddle in one shelter and bunch up at one or two doorways.
Each shelter has auto-opening automatic doors, which striikes me as an extravagance and possible maintenance cost/headache - but I’m told existing LRT stations have them, and they work fine even in winter.
Leaving provincial politics aside, Edmonton is way ahead of Toronto in terms of urban planning and I would say LRT station design.
My only quibble is with the way the line alternates between centre of roadway and side of roadway…. Sideswipe potential and repeated conflict between cars and tram.
Nicer OCS, too…. But leading side stop locations….

- Paul

F5CEB15B-BBC3-47D4-A95C-1A7A30EB46A2.jpeg

Oct 21
All the photos are up for Mount Dennis, Black Creek, Keelesdale and Caledonia on my site. Photos pertaining to the stations are in their own threads.

Black Creek
You can walk about 200' west of Black Creek on the new sidewalk and bike path and have a clear look to the west. No handrail on the overpass or portal.
51627096683_76bb871d49_b.jpg

51627096783_6923b85f41_b.jpg

51627733230_b341bdd188_b.jpg

51626876031_072e0ac956_b.jpg

51627097193_63df062028_b.jpg

51626876536_14eccf661e_b.jpg

Mount Dennis
You can see clearly that the sidewalk and bike path is higher than the retaining barrier and no idea until why until I have a real close look. Left is the sidewalk, the bike path and a concrete edge that slops to the barrier. No idea why the barrier is there other than protection for the entrance.
51627019923_ab8a5d0d9a_b.jpg

51627446224_866a2647bf_b.jpg

51627657105_a0281e8ff7_b.jpg

51626802296_d7f129863c_b.jpg

From the looks of it, new road slab our from the east side of the overpass to east of Weston Rd at this time.
51627448064_469b4300d6_b.jpg

51627656030_1ff727c50a_b.jpg

51625967902_1e347619ec_b.jpg

51627019333_7a1f8062df_b.jpg

51627445204_17c64328e6_b.jpg

51627445419_1a87cae80a_b.jpg

Back