News   Apr 16, 2024
 197     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 686     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 477     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I drive by this strip everyday and it seems nothing is getting done above ground. Hardly see ppl working. Cedarvale too. They put up the framework for the main entrance and then nothing else since.

Here's Part 2 of 4 taken at Oakwood station on September 27, 2021

Main Entrance Part 2:

IMG_1861.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg
IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1865.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1869.jpg

I drive by this strip everyday and it seems nothing is getting done above ground. Hardly see ppl working. Cedarvale too. They put up the framework for the main entrance and then nothing else since.

To provide a somewhat contrary and dissenting opinion to this....

I pass by that strip one a week, and there is most definitely noticeable change on a week-to-week basis. It's not huge, but it's there.

I suspect that the changes that are happening each day are so small as to be almost unobservable to those commuting regularly. But if you think back to how it looked several months ago (or look at the photos in this and other threads), you'll see that a lot of change has in fact happened.

I certainly feel the same way as you when I look at my own local station, at least at first blush. Then I think back to a year ago when it was still a hole in the ground, and the reality sets in that there are a lot of moving parts to a project like this.

Dan

Key Points from the Metrolinx Article -

- By the end of the year, rail will run continuously from the MSF to Kennedy Station.
- Installation of the overhead catenary system, train signals, communications systems and other features to enable safe train movement will continue into 2022

Can we say an opening for September 2022 is feasible? Right before the start of school? Or we looking at end of 2022 or perhaps even 2023?

Can we say an opening for September 2022 is feasible? Right before the start of school? Or we looking at end of 2022 or perhaps even 2023?
Given that track isn't finished, and zero trains have run through the central section yet - we have zero idea how well the system integration and signalling is working.
It's therefore too soon to say.

Once that "construction" is finished - so much still needs to be installed, commissioned, then tested over and over to make sure it works - and then the collective line needs to be tested with pretend people in it to make sure it's safe to operate. Signalling, radio systems, CCTV, elevators & escalators, lighting, fire doors, fire alarms, fare gates, ventilation & extraction fans, emergency exits, general integration into TTC stuff...

As I said further up this thread - delays at this "final stage" is what caused the 3 year Crossrail delay in London. And how long did RTG in Ottawa test drive trains before the City let them open? Clearly not long enough

Given that track isn't finished, and zero trains have run through the central section yet - we have zero idea how well the system integration and signalling is working.

Once that "construction" is finished - so much still needs to be installed, commissioned, then tested over and over to make sure it works - and then the collective line needs to be tested with pretend people in it to make sure it's safe to operate. Signalling, radio systems, CCTV, elevators & escalators, lighting, fire doors, fire alarms, fare gates, ventilation & extraction fans, emergency exits, general integration into TTC stuff...

As I said further up this thread - delays at this "final stage" is what caused the 3 year Crossrail delay in London. And how long did RTG in Ottawa test drive trains before the City let them open? Clearly not long enough
So what is your educated guess range... Best Case, Probably the Case, Worst Case dates

On the positive side, the last subway that opened in this city didn't suffer much from this "final stage".

"Installation of the overhead catenary system (the wires that power the trains), train signals, communications systems and other features to enable safe train movement will continue into 2022."
"By the end of the year (2021?), rail will run continuously from the Maintenance and Storage Facility, located on the site of the former Kodak lands, to Kennedy Station."

To me, that means while trains will be running (slowly at first), the stations will need to be finished, including the painting, driveways, and signage.

While I don't know the scope of the individual site projects, to the eye of the casual passerby (myself), a lot of sections don't look anywhere near completion. I'd be shocked if this line opened before 2023.

Back