News   Apr 25, 2024
 31     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Response from AMA re: Crosstown signage:

But I agree: the entire thing is incredibly inconsistent (even with Metrolinx’s own standards) and incredibly confusing. If this is getting redone, why is signage going up now?
I wonder if gauging the public reaction is part of it. Its a pretty common tactic with companies to get something out in the open and to test what the natural reaction is to a design or decision, and then use that as feedback.

I wonder if gauging the public reaction is part of it. Its a pretty common tactic with companies to get something out in the open and to test what the natural reaction is to a design or decision, and then use that as feedback.
I can understand this if people are actually using the line, but that's not the case. If this is their goal - how are they going to go about doing it? Waiting for random Twitter comments and feedback on enthusiast websites doesn't seem like the most comprehensive way to achieve that goal.

Went on a bike ride from Kennedy to Leslie along Eglinton today, hoping to maybe catch a glimpse of some LRVs with no luck. Did get to see the surface stations weest of victoria for the first time in a couple of months though so. Pretty much the entire surface section looks to be complete, except some sort of work on the tracks at ionview. Just based on pictures others have posted her Science centre looked a little bit further along than in person, though it also looks to be around 95 percent complete on the exterior. Kennedy on the other hand is a mess. Didn't get any pictures, but in some places, I can see down to platform level through some rebar. The station building itself isn't too far off from completion but the area surrounding it is just a dusty mess.
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5684.jpg
These signs are really, really bad. Hard to believe any kind of design professionals put this together.

1. Nobody gives a damn about MX's inter-agency politics. In Toronto, the TTC operates transit, and their logo is synonymous with public transit. Put the TTC logo on it. Make it big and prominent. It's not at all clear what this building is for without their logo. This is classic design-by-committee nonsense, at the expense of our users.
2. The sign is completely ambigous. Is this a wheelchair accessible entrance to the Ontario Science Centre? Is this the bus-only entrance to the Science Centre station? Who knows.
3. The tram symbol is meaningless to users. The symbol looks almost indistinugable to a bus. Users don't know or care whether their vehicle has a pantograph, and they should not have to be concerned with these technical details. Also, the pantograph will be completely illegible to users with low vision. Put the Line 5 symbol on it.
4. Why do the surface stops have the Line 5 symbol, but not the station?
5. The visual design in general is a mess. There is not enough spacing between the text and the edges of the sign and the icons have inconsistent spacing.
6. MX really oughta just be following the TTC design guidelines for signage. I know MX wants to have a GTHA-wide standard, but until the TTC adopts the standard for *all* of their properties, MX is just introducing a second, totally disjointed signage standard in Toronto. You're making the problem worse, Metrolinx.

Last edited:
I can understand this if people are actually using the line, but that's not the case. If this is their goal - how are they going to go about doing it? Waiting for random Twitter comments and feedback on enthusiast websites doesn't seem like the most comprehensive way to achieve that goal.
Were complaining so it’s working

I disagree with the idea that TTC had the perfect standard and Metrolinx should follow it. The Metrolinx standard allows for the TTC Subway Font and also has white text on black background so the transition to a GTA standard need not be painful. The TTC itself didn't add the line 1-3 markers until more recent times, and what benefit is there to keeping H4 and CLRT symbols to represent subways and streetcars. A standard is required that isn't the mess that exists now at key locations like Kipling.

2. The sign is completely ambigous. Is this a wheelchair accessible entrance to the Ontario Science Centre? Is this the bus-only entrance to the Science Centre station? Who knows.
3. The tram symbol is meaningless to users. The symbol looks almost indistinugable to a bus. Users don't know or care whether their vehicle has a pantograph, and they should not have to be concerned with these technical details. Also, the pantograph will be completely illegible to users with low vision. Put the Line 5 symbol on it.
2. Once ALL entrances are wheelchair accessible, only then should they get rid of the symbol. If even one entrance is not accessible, keep the symbol.
3. The tram symbol is already meaningful to most users. There maybe some users who need to be assigned some homework on symbol recognition, but most will be able to figure it out. Maybe some tweaking.

Were complaining so it’s working
My point is that it's not comprehensive, or representative.

Anyways, I'm just curious as to what the methodology is. It sounds like it's "put something out there and wait for Twitter and enthusiast feedback". If so, that's an interesting way to solicit for opinions on transit signage.

Needs a big red and white winged TTC logo on it, just like every other higher order transit station in Toronto.

I am not a fan of either obsessive design and wayfinding debate (which is endless with no one ever reaching agreement) or the obsessive ML branding wonkery (which will spend our money debating and redrawing said minutae til the cows come home).

So long as it has the traditional TTC logo on it, native Torontonians will get the idea, and visitors will figure out same within a couple trips. I do like the traditional TTC station exterior font, but really - it can be Courier as long as it’s large and well lit.

The curiosity I have... at the top of the stairs/escalator, what will it say? The traditional TO TRAINS ? Or just a Tram logo?

- Paul

I am not a fan of either obsessive design and wayfinding debate (which is endless with no one ever reaching agreement) or the obsessive ML branding wonkery (which will spend our money debating and redrawing said minutae til the cows come home).

So long as it has the traditional TTC logo on it, native Torontonians will get the idea, and visitors will figure out same within a couple trips. I do like the traditional TTC station exterior font, but really - it can be Courier as long as it’s large and well lit.

The curiosity I have... at the top of the stairs/escalator, what will it say? The traditional TO TRAINS ? Or just a Tram logo?

- Paul
I agree. IMO as long as it has the TTC logo and the Line 5 symbol, I'm happy. I don't understand the reasoning for leaving out the Line 5 symbol at the entrance though. The symbol is certainly there within the station.

1622581268704.png

1622581307690.png

But why not out here as well?

1622581425617.png

1622581452011.png

And I think the funniest part about all this is that Metrolinx couldn't be bothered to paint the LRVs a different color because they wanted the LRVs to have a similar feeling to the subway trains on the TTC while they create a brand new standard for signage almost fully independent of the TTCs. Come on Metrolinx.

And I think the funniest part about all this is that Metrolinx couldn't be bothered to paint the LRVs a different color because they wanted the LRVs to have a similar feeling to the subway trains on the TTC while they create a brand new standard for signage almost fully independent of the TTCs. Come on Metrolinx.
The TTC subway trains do not look grey to me...
The_Red_Rocket_%281%29.jpg

From link.

Back