News   Mar 28, 2024
 456     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 307     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Toronto transit users will be looking for the white and red signs of the TTC. Expect "lost" users.

existingstoppoles.jpg

From link.
Strange. Why not stick with red and white?

As someone who has lived in cities other than Toronto (outside the GTHA), it still boggles my mind that anyone thinks sticking the the TTC standard for design is a good idea - these poles are indeed quite standard and they really don't hold up against best practices in other cities - they look bad and give you very little information.

As someone who has lived in cities other than Toronto (outside the GTHA), it still boggles my mind that anyone thinks sticking the the TTC standard for design is a good idea - these poles are indeed quite standard and they really don't hold up against best practices in other cities - they look bad and give you very little information.
Which is why none of them are used any more. I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

The current TTC poles are only slightly better. Now you know the routes, full or limited service and the stop ID to text for the next vehicle but without a data plan on your phone, you'll have no idea of the direction or destination of the routes. Without any posted schedules either, now they expect everyone to be in the digital age.

The current TTC poles are only slightly better. Now you know the routes, full or limited service and the stop ID to text for the next vehicle but without a data plan on your phone, you'll have no idea of the direction or destination of the routes. Without any posted schedules either, now they expect everyone to be in the digital age.
Other cities are just as bad and many of the signs just look like a no-parking sign as they are put up on a non-discript post mounted fairly high up and hard to read from a distance or spot amongst other signs in the area.

Unfortunately for the people who don't have data plans or smartphones that's the way the world, in general, is moving it's just like how less and less businesses want to take cash anymore.

Other cities are just as bad and many of the signs just look like a no-parking sign as they are put up on a non-discript post mounted fairly high up and hard to read from a distance or spot amongst other signs in the area.

Unfortunately for the people who don't have data plans or smartphones that's the way the world, in general, is moving it's just like how less and less businesses want to take cash anymore.
I posted this last year in the Wayfinding thread - a bus stop I saw when I was in Chicago. First time I'd ever seen maps on a bus stop.
1614482526432.png

I posted this last year in the Wayfinding thread - a bus stop I saw when I was in Chicago. First time I'd ever seen maps on a bus stop.
View attachment 302532
I'd say it's badly positioned and blocks the stop sign. Yes having a map in is good but the overall design of it is not very practical.

There's a pretty strong grid system in Toronto. I suspect not knowing a destination isn't a huge issue. And there's a full system map in just about every shelter.

Meanwhile a lot of systems don't seem to have adopted texting for the next vehicle yet. But I know ... the grass is always greener. Or oranger on Crosstown.

View attachment 302532
Tonnes of TTC bus stops have maps? I don't know that they put them in at new stops but a lot of major intersection have little maps of the bus routes that stop there

Why is everything a race to the bottom. Other cities can be bad all they want, I just want us to do better in Toronto.

Why is everything a race to the bottom. Other cities can be bad all they want, I just want us to do better in Toronto.
I think Toronto and the TTC are doing much better than other cities by embracing technology rather than staying stuck in the past with paper maps and printed schedules that can change and need to be reprinted and updated. Most of the time if I want to plan where I'm going now if it's somewhere new or I'm unfamiliar with it I'll use either City Mapper or Google Maps to find my destination, I can't even remember the last time I looked at a bus or streetcar route map on a pole.

Back