News   Mar 28, 2024
 29     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Uninformed doesn't make people stupid. TTC didn't do their communication well enough. Nowadays, they could be playing a message on the Eglinton buses telling them when Line 5 will open. Buses that intersect Eglinton could have the same message when approaching Eglinton. Chances are they won't do it and just leaving the opening date on an hourly announcement on the subway PA system.

Short of personally stopping each person and speaking to them directly, there will be plenty of people still ignorant to the new reality.

I remember after the Line 2 (then called the Bloor-Danforth Subway) opened on the Saturday, February 26, 1966, on the Monday, crowds of people still went and stood at the streetcar stops on Bloor Street or Danforth Avenue to wait for a streetcar that never came. You may have all the signs, radio & television & newspaper announcements, and talk, people will still not know what is happening.

Short of personally stopping each person and speaking to them directly, there will be plenty of people still ignorant to the new reality.
As a GO Transit Station Attendant, I witness this often. For example, take a weekend service reduction or closure where rail is cancelled for a construction project. No matter how much Metrolinx communicates via Twitter posts, posts on the GO Transit website, on board announcements a full week before the closure and communication via traditional media (CP 24, 680 News etc.) there will always be people showing up at affected stations wondering where the train is.

As a GO Transit Station Attendant, I witness this often. For example, take a weekend service reduction or closure where rail is cancelled for a construction project. No matter how much Metrolinx communicates via Twitter posts, posts on the GO Transit website, on board announcements a full week before the closure and communication via traditional media (CP 24, 680 News etc.) there will always be people showing up at affected stations wondering where the train is.
To be fair, a weekly communication of service disruption is a bit different than a whole new line opening / closing an old line. I'll admit that I've forgotten to look for service disruptions on the TTC and left myself in a jam before. I don't have cable, I don't have any interest in following the TTC / Metrolinx on twitter, and I may not remember to look at their website before going on a trip. I don't consider myself ignorant - I would know when a new subway line is opening, but I may miss weekly temporary changes in service quite easily.

If the same communication methods are ineffective for closures, they'll be just as ineffective for openings.
They are already ignoring it, the content of the message changing won't change that.
Unless you're proposing a different method of communication than social media, websites, on board announcements or traditional media.

You can't expect 100% but 90-95% of the regular commuters should be aware. There will always be someone not too bright or occasional riders that need to be told on the spot. If half the regular riders end up waiting at the wrong place, there's a problem with communication.

Also some people are insecure. Even if they are told to wait at a new location the other day and the end up seeing a bunch of people waiting at the wrong platform, their insecurity would bring them to the wrong place cause everyone is there. Other people are always right and their thinking is wrong.

You can't expect 100% but 90-95% of the regular commuters should be aware. There will always be someone not too bright or occasional riders that need to be told on the spot. If half the regular riders end up waiting at the wrong place, there's a problem with communication.

Also some people are insecure. Even if they are told to wait at a new location the other day and the end up seeing a bunch of people waiting at the wrong platform, their insecurity would bring them to the wrong place cause everyone is there. Other people are always right and their thinking is wrong.
Many times, I've seen signs that say "this stop not in use" use the "temporary stop x poles away", and people still gather at the closed stop.

How many times, do people ask the driver if the bus will ACTUALLY go as the sign says so?

I don't have any pics because I was on a bus but there were some big concrete pours at Kennedy today covering the mezzanine finally. Idk how long these things usually take but this seems pretty late for them to just be wrapping up concrete pours on the station itself

Many times, I've seen signs that say "this stop not in use" use the "temporary stop x poles away", and people still gather at the closed stop.

How many times, do people ask the driver if the bus will ACTUALLY go as the sign says so?
Some people are just idiots but sometimes they realize drivers will pick up them. So they do it anyways. There is also a bad habit of the TTC not removing the paper signs when construction is done months ago. So you can't blame people. I don't know what is the verdict with operators can't remove them themselves. Probably some bureaucracy and union fear the operator could injure themselves if they try to take the sign down??

I remember one time taking the 168 at Symington/St Clair. I waited at the temporary stop by myself while 2 others wait at the no being serviced stop across the road. The bus drove past them and picked me up. They probably learn their lesson after that.

I don't have any pics because I was on a bus but there were some big concrete pours at Kennedy today covering the mezzanine finally. Idk how long these things usually take but this seems pretty late for them to just be wrapping up concrete pours on the station itself

Kennedy seemed like it was making a lot of progress at the beginning of last year but it has slowed up now, I wonder how far they really are?

Kennedy seemed like it was making a lot of progress at the beginning of last year but it has slowed up now, I wonder how far they really are?
Most of the main entrance is covered up and obviously its hard to see underground, though it does seem like theyve been speeding things up lately. Everytime im there theres something new

Considering the next Ontario elections will be on June 2 2022 or earlier... What are everyones thoughts on this line being operational by lets say April 2, 2022? I am sure Ford would want a ribbon cutting ceremony at least 2 months prior. I personally don't think April 2, 2022 this line will be operational since there is so much work left and plus testing and training the staff takes months.

On a side note, passed by Eglinton and Sloane. They started building the final above ground stop. Seems like all the above grade stop stations should be completed by the middle of March.

Considering the next Ontario elections will be on June 2 2022 or earlier... What are everyones thoughts on this line being operational by lets say April 2, 2022? I am sure Ford would want a ribbon cutting ceremony at least 2 months prior. I personally don't think April 2, 2022 this line will be operational since there is so much work left and plus testing and training the staff takes months.

On a side note, passed by Eglinton and Sloane. They started building the final above ground stop. Seems like all the above grade stop stations should be completed by the middle of March.
I think the current date is at the end of February so he'll prob get his ribbon cutting

Do you all think Del Duca would actually get elected? The Liberal used the all talks and stall tactics to buy votes while pushing everything past the next term.

Back