News   Apr 16, 2024
 246     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Why Is Oakwood station different from the rest?
I remember seeing something about using a knitted fabric as the basis for creating a concrete form. Essentially create custom-knit fabric to match requirement, assemble it on site with some rigid members to provide support/tension, then spray it with a light layer of concrete to make the form for a later pour. Seems like that kind of innovation would be useful compared to all this, or custom mill work.

Why was it mined? unlike the rest of the stations.

A couple of the stations had so many sub-surface utilities that it was decided that it would be easier to not have to dig them up and reroute them. Instead they simply dig past them and underneath. Oakwood is one of them - Laird and Avenue are the others.

Dan

Neat little map of the operational readiness timeline for the ECLRT.

1612462388947.png

Neat little map of the operational readiness timeline for the ECLRT.

View attachment 298162
Very good find here @Coolstar.

Hopefully someone will be able to find the TTC's SOP and Rule Book for how they will operate the Crosstown line. It will give us insight as to whether they intend to cripple operations in the same way they do with all the streetcar lines.

Because the TTC is operating the vehicles they are following TTC operating procedures for the most part. I think where it will differ is how they run service during degraded operations such a power outages or accidents at intersections. Crosslinx gets paid based on service performance, so they have real incentive to provide reliable service in these situations (using turnbacks, reverse running over single-tracks if one track is down, skipping stations, etc.), versus the TTC who sometimes takes a conservative approach.
I'll absolutely lose my mind if they implement the slow down to 10 km/h at signalized intersection policy, amongst a few of the other idiotic ones current in the SOP.

Ive never seen that rule book but it really needs to be updated for the 21st century.

Thanks for linking the video although to be honest I do have some reservations about it. Maybe I'll remake it one day.
Oh I'm interesting in what those are now. I thought this video was quite reasonable?

Oh I'm interesting in what those are now. I thought this video was quite reasonable?
It's mostly just a quality thing and maybe I would like to sit down a spend a bit more time mulling it over since I really made the video on a spur of the moment. That said my main gripe with the project remains unchanged, that being the fact it wasn't planned to go to Yonge Street and so to me at least made the line completely useless. For better or worse Yonge Street is Toronto's main north-south artery and so any "crosstown" line that doesn't connect to it is not necessarily doomed to failure as much as it is missing a great deal of potential ridership and utility. For example I do believe the Finch West LRT should go to Yonge Street at some point.

In regards to the Eglinton West line, a line to the Airport I fully support and even if the Eglinton West subway was going to be hilariously overbuilt for the area and make the Sheppard Line look like an act of fiscal prudence, at least if it connected to Yonge Street there could be some potential for growth. Yet for some reason someone decided it didn't need to thus cutting it off from everybody who uses Yonge Street (North York, Scarborough, and York Region). Also what gets lost in translation a lot is the fact that the original Network 2011 proposal didn't have the Eglinton West Subway being built until 2011 after all other projects were done; and instead put bus lanes on Eglinton in the interim. It ends up getting bumped up to the 90's (20 years ahead of schedule) because York wants there subway yet we can't afford to build both the Eglinton Line and Sheppard Line in full simultaneously and boom once you add in Mike Harris brand conservatism and you have the Eglinton West fiasco.

Last edited:

Back