News   Mar 28, 2024
 955     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 541     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 834     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

With respect to the tweet about Chaplin Station, it just said that the track bed was ready for rails. It didn't say when the rails will be laid.

With respect to the tweet about Chaplin Station, it just said that the track bed was ready for rails. It didn't say when the rails will be laid.

If you want to be really pedantic about it, it's not even ready for rails. There are still several steps that need to be completed before the rails can be hauled in and installed.

Dan

I’m pretty sure that this will happen in later stages of construction. Certainly during TYSSE there were photos of TTC work vehicles in the tunnels well before commissioning.
I’m not sure the construction forces get much of a logistical benefit from the tunnels - by the time the tracks are laid, the really heavy material handling has already happened, and the big mechanical things (escalators, HVAC, etc) need to come in vertically from above, would not fit thru the tunnels. So long as the cranes have to be there anyways, might as well use them.

For the moment, even without rails in place, having the floor poured at least gives them a finished “floor” work surface.

- Paul

Having things delivery by rail is more costly than using tower cranes. You need to allow time to transfer material to the train at X point, the time to get to X and the time to off loaded it. You will need Z equipment to off load X as well move it to Y if it can. You may need different type of rail equipment that can only be use for this type of work and will become scrap at the end of the day.

The floor bed for the rail allows the wall to be form and pour than coming back later to pour it after the wall is in place as well the platform. This station could be done different from the others for X reason or it been determine that this is the best option.

Tower cranes or any type of cranes is the best option for placing items into the hole at the end of the day.

There would definitely be tower cranes assembled on site; gotta have something to hoist stuff off/onto trains and aid in station assembly And I guess the staging of tunnel construction and station design would be fundamentally different. Tracks would be lain immediately after TBM work is done, and mezzanines/concourses would be open to track level at key points. The work trains needn't have to use third rail since that may not be in place and would pose a danger to workers, could be battery not unlike in mines.

The logistics of X,Y,Z loading/offloading would be largely done off-peak, in an open-air area offsite or at the TBM extraction point. May require military-like clockwork logistics. But compared to the status quo of a dozen-plus constructions sites, hoarded for years, and with daily armadas of trucks and workers and personal vehicles entering and leaving all the neighbourhoods? I think there's untapped merit. This is largely a latenight idea for me so definitely big holes in the concept.

Think I saw some new vehicles being delivered today. Looking south at Summerhill Station

image.jpg

Back