News   Apr 16, 2024
 581     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 447     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 804     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Have the regular lanes been repaved? That would be one of the last things done, could be the cause of the hump here.

Yes and No. They avoided a section around the tracks.

They have yet to fix the SE corner where the curve is a few inches above the pavement cause a well.

I was trying to find the platform lengths for this line but I could get it from only one source and it was 60 m. Is that right? How does that compare with the new streetcars in terms of length?

I was trying to find the platform lengths for this line but I could get it from only one source and it was 60 m. Is that right? How does that compare with the new streetcars in terms of length?

From link.

The typical station box accommodates a 90 metres platform with a 40 metres service area at one end and​
a 20 metre service area at the opposite end resulting in a total station box length of 150 metres. Initially​
the LRT operation will consist of a 2-car trainset requiring a 60 metres platform. To protect for the ultimate​
3-car train set the 90 metres platform would be constructed, but then temporary walls would be installed to​
create the initial 60 metres long platform. A 2.5 metres wide corridor would bisect the remaining 30 metres​
reserved portion of the platform leading to an additional secondary entrance.​
1603042148460.png

Station platform lengths on the legacy subway are about 152.4 metres in length.

Last edited:
From link.

The typical station box accommodates a 90 metres platform with a 40 metres service area at one end and​
a 20 metre service area at the opposite end resulting in a total station box length of 150 metres. Initially​
the LRT operation will consist of a 2-car trainset requiring a 60 metres platform. To protect for the ultimate​
3-car train set the 90 metres platform would be constructed, but then temporary walls would be installed to​
create the initial 60 metres long platform. A 2.5 metres wide corridor would bisect the remaining 30 metres​
reserved portion of the platform leading to an additional secondary entrance.​
View attachment 277506

Station platform lengths on the legacy subway are about 152.4 metres in length.
How will this work for the surface stops?

Something doesn't feel right here. A typical subway car is around 20 m long and here we are getting LRT cars that are almost 30 m long?

I remember reading long back that the cars for this line will be similar to new streetcars, which are pretty small.

Something doesn't feel right here. A typical subway car is around 20 m long and here we are getting LRT cars that are almost 30 m long?

I remember reading long back that the cars for this line will be similar to new streetcars, which are pretty small.
I believe its because they count all of the segments of an LRV altogether as one car altogether, unlike say the TR where all of the articulated segments are counted individually.

30 meters is correct. The Flexity Freedoms, like the streetcars, are made of 5 short segments which total longer than a single subway car. They can run independently or in multiple units, unlike individual wagons of a subway train.

30 meters is correct. The Flexity Freedoms, like the streetcars, are made of 5 short segments which total longer than a single subway car. They can run independently or in multiple units, unlike individual wagons of a subway train.

The Montréal Metro cars are 2.5 m wide.
The Flexity Outlook streetcars are 2.54 m wide.
The Toronto Rocket subway cards are 3.124 m wide.

The buses are 2.59 m wide.

The Flexity Freedom light rail vehicles are 2.65 m wide.

How will this work for the surface stops?

"Platforms will be approximately 90 metres long to accommodate three-car trains."

From link.

1603055166293.png

Guessing if they need more than the 90m, they'll just expropriate from the traffic lanes. 3.3m for traffic lanes is not needed, should be 3m to slow the traffic down to a more reasonable speed.

Last edited:
Guessing if they need more than the 90m, they'll just expropriate from the traffic lanes. 3.3m for traffic lanes is not needed, should be 3m to slow the traffic down to a more reasonable speed.

The challenge would then be running a sensible service plan, because it wouldn't be able to berth at Kennedy, Science Center or Laird. It would exclusively have to run on the surface section, and that would only make sense if most of the people are travelling locally. A 120m train will probably exceed the length of a pocket track, and would therefore have to foul the main line in a turnback.

If circulation inside the vehicles wasn't so bad, you could probably get away with selective door opening on the underground section and half a car overhang on each side of the station. But, anyone familiar with a streetcar knows how difficult it is to move between sections when it's busy.

Back