News   Mar 28, 2024
 317     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 263     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 296     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

I'd go one further and say that building a transit line for a fully accessible community is the antithesis of rapid transit. A single mode of transportation can be either local or rapid, not both.
I always believed in a local LRT network connecting to a few frequent rail trunk lines is better than just subways everywhere.

I always believed in a local LRT network connecting to a few frequent rail trunk lines is better than just subways everywhere.

Absolutely, with the exception of right downtown (aka DRL subway), Transit City + GO RER with properly implemented fare transfers would solve 90% of Torontos transit problems (from the perspective of capital works projects).

^Michigan U’s don’t really improve things for a centre median LRT, as there still has to be a disruption to LRT flow when the autos get the green light for their U turn. Might as well let that happen at the intersection.
(Hint: transit priority signalling mumble mumble)

- Paul
What I meant is for the U-turns be on the cross street, not Eglinton. If you want to turn left at Birchmount, you'd turn right and then make a U-turn on Birchmount; or maybe that also messes up the signal priority?

What I meant is for the U-turns be on the cross street, not Eglinton. If you want to turn left at Birchmount, you'd turn right and then make a U-turn on Birchmount; or maybe that also messes up the signal priority?

Though, that might interfere slightly with the frequent bus routes serving the major N-S streets.

I think the idea is that instead of a left you would turn right and use a Michigan U on the side street?

Ariel images of Toronto’s Line 1 illustrate this, with groups of towers at stations and single-detached houses between.

I want to be where the people are.
I wanna see, wanna see them dancin'
Riding around on those - what do you call 'em?
Oh - streetcars
I believe they are called trams.

^^ signalized intscts.
-Credit Union/Swift (No EB Left Turns)
-Victoria Park (No WB Left Turns) use eglinton sq./o'connor instead
-Pharmacy (No WB Left Turns)
-Sinott/Thermos (No Left Turns)
-Birchmount (No Left Turns)

The rest of the signalized intersections will not have turn restrictions. Driveways and minor roads will use right-ins, right outs and intersections with left turn signals will permit u-turns.

Last edited:
^^ signalized intscts.
-Credit Union/Swift (No EB Left Turns)
-Victoria Park (No WB Left Turns)
-Pharmacy (No WB Left Turns)
-Sinott/Thermos (No Left Turns)
-Birchmount (No Left Turns)

The rest of the signalized intersections will not have turn restrictions. Driveways and minor roads will use right-ins, right outs and intersections with left turn signals will permit u-turns.

Wait, so if you are going WB you have to turn south at O'Conner? And cant turn south at Pharmacy at all?
That seems like an oversight...

OCS Cable Works on Eglinton Ave between Leslie Street and Don Mills Road and Hakimi and Warden Avenue
September 16-17, 2020
5f122371-d1dd-4de7-a4b1-bdb2aa2bdec1.png
Crews will be performing adjustments to the OCS (Overhead Catenary System) cables along Eglinton Avenue East between Leslie St and Don Mills Road and between Hakimi and Warden Avenue. Overhead catenary is the system installed overtop of the rails of a light rail system, to provide operational power to the LRVs (Light Rail Vehicles). Adjustments will take place overnight September 16 and 17, 2020 between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

What to Expect

Cables will be adjusted overhead using a high rail vehicle. All work will be performed within the existing guideway work zone, there will be no changes to the existing traffic configuration.
Hours of Work
  • Installation will take place September 16-17, 2020 between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
  • This work may be rescheduled due to unforeseen circumstances or inclement weather
Traffic & Pedestrian Details
  • There will be no changes to existing pedestrian routes or TTC stop locations for these activities.
  • There will be no changes to the existing traffic configuration in these areas.
Other Information
  • Minimal noise from construction vehicles and crews at the work zone.
  • Site lighting may be required.

Is it written in "stone" that platform screen doors will be installed on the Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown?

The Montréal REM line has it so...

Safe and reliable technology

The REM technology is fully automated, 100% electric light rail. Trains are driverless, directed by a control centre that ensures proper functioning of equipment at all times. The platforms will be protected by screen doors that only open after the train has arrived; users cannot cross the tracks or drop objects onto them. This type of automated system is one of the safest and most reliable in the world.

Or will the penny-pinchers non-transit using politicians say "NO!"?

Last edited:
Is it written in "stone" that platform screen doors will be installed on the Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown?

The Montréal REM line has it so...

Or will the penny-pinchers non-transit using politicians say "NO!"?

I don’t think that platform screen doors were ever part of the plan for Line 5. There has been talk of it for the Ontario Line however.

Back