News   Apr 23, 2024
 276     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 846     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 477     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Is that a realistic expectation though? At what point does a decision need to be made that says "we can open in 2021, but _______ stations will remain closed". Or would it just make more sense for them to delay the whole thing until the expected deadline so they can do more in-depth track testing to make sure its perfect before opening day?

The lengthy testing times for both Ottawa and KW certainly were excruciating....all that lovely system just sitting there waiting while they worked out a few final things.... but I will predict Crosstown will be no different. For purely optical reasons....it will be too painful for the pols to announce a "partial" opening.

No part of the system could be opened in an unfinished state, for a bunch of reasons. So running with service skipping unfinished stations just isn't on.

As @smallspy noted, the likely big holdup will be one of the underground stations, probably Yonge-Eglinton. So yes we will stare at all that shiny new line in the east for a while yet. I'm just glad it has got done. A bird in hand...... and, parts of Eglinton will return to "normal" soon.

How many remember when tunnelling began.....we're on page 1182 here at UT.

(EDIT: I had to look it up. Tunnelling began June 5 2013, back around page 295. First progress report from June 2013 here.)

- Paul

Last edited:
Well, at least it's not an Amsterdam Line 52 Centraal station situation; the single station (without which the line was basically useless) was more than 7 years behind schedule.
Or that new airport in Berlin which is as of now, almost a full decade behind schedule.

I note that the Metrolinx site states that the expected completion is 2022. I am not sure they have been more date definitive then that elsewhere?

Having driven back and forth through varying parts of the route in the past couple of months, and as recently as yesterday, the amount of topside work left to be done to complete stations, track work and power work, and the rehabilitation of Eglinton Avenue itself looks like a completion date sometime in 2021.

Add to that the testing and completion of the underground work.....would i be completely incorrect in visualizing a line opening in June 2022 ....or before September of 2022?

I note that the Metrolinx site states that the expected completion is 2022. I am not sure they have been more date definitive then that elsewhere?

Having driven back and forth through varying parts of the route in the past couple of months, and as recently as yesterday, the amount of topside work left to be done to complete stations, track work and power work, and the rehabilitation of Eglinton Avenue itself looks like a completion date sometime in 2021.

Add to that the testing and completion of the underground work.....would i be completely incorrect in visualizing a line opening in June 2022 ....or before September of 2022?

I heard end of year 2022

I would think they'd want this line opened before the June 2022 provincial election. So I'm thinking there will be a big push from Metrolinx to get it opened around the spring of 2022. There needs to be some ribbon-cutting before the next election.

I would think they'd want this line opened before the June 2022 provincial election. So I'm thinking there will be a big push from Metrolinx to get it opened around the spring of 2022. There needs to be some ribbon-cutting before the next election.
If Ford rides, he'll probably get as far as Laird and after, return straight to Mount Dennis while there's a huge sheet covering the entrance to the tunnel east of Laird. Nope nothing to see here....

He will ride it for the photo-op, especially if it's during an election campaign.

Someone has posted elsewhere - with no context, mind - that the current projected opening date of the line is May 7, 2022.

I, for one, don't doubt that it may in fact be the date that they want to have the line operating. Or maybe just handed over to Metrolinx. But is it a reasonable, or even achievable goal? Considering what they've been presenting in terms of construction progress publicly, I would say no.

Dan

If anyone has a date that they want to put money on, be careful.... the one thing for certain is that you will be wrong.

The outstanding construction certainly points to a couple more years' work - but even beyond that, is there any reason to believe that commissioning will be any smoother than what we saw in Ottawa and Kitchener?

Both had formal target opening dates, but blew by them over and over as commissioning testing progressed. Crosstown may be similar.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back