News   Mar 28, 2024
 27     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

View attachment 248626

These are access hubs. 30 new bus shelters across the city will have comfortable amenities including button activated heaters that deactivate automatically after 5 minutes. If the TTC can do it, then it shouldn't be too hard for metrolinx. But we all know metrolinx does the bare minimum

The heater works best in summer. ?

View attachment 248626

These are access hubs. 30 new bus shelters across the city will have comfortable amenities including button activated heaters that deactivate automatically after 5 minutes. If the TTC can do it, then it shouldn't be too hard for metrolinx. But we all know metrolinx does the bare minimum
Dude let's not condemn with a broad brush. Metrolinx inherited this project from transit city so the project was long under design when they took over. Not to mention ford burying half the line cost billions more from an overbudget project so creature comforts like heaters are the natural first things to cut. At this point we can't be beggars and choosers at the same time. Let's get this thing done first and worry about upgrades afterwards. Don't forget, design changes cost money but more critically TIME to redesign, which we have neither

Dude let's not condemn with a broad brush. Metrolinx inherited this project from transit city so the project was long under design when they took over. Not to mention ford burying half the line cost billions more from an overbudget project so creature comforts like heaters are the natural first things to cut. At this point we can't be beggars and choosers at the same time. Let's get this thing done first and worry about upgrades afterwards. Don't forget, design changes cost money but more critically TIME to redesign, which we have neither

I can't imagine that the surface shelters were at any stage of design many years ago when the project was taken over. And unless you meant the Eglinton West LRT, Ford did not bury part of this line, it was always planned this way.

I can't imagine that the surface shelters were at any stage of design many years ago when the project was taken over. And unless you meant the Eglinton West LRT, Ford did not bury part of this line, it was always planned this way.
im pretty sure the concepts were there during the design stage when ML took over. i would be amazed if the stops are a design build. remember this line was part of a wider TC plan so it wouldve made sense to make all surface stops the same design where possible. Sheppard had no intention of going closed heated shelters when construction started so judging by that it would be reasonable to assume that tc had no intentions as well.

We're making it seem like it would've been such a hard task to have changed the design of the shelters along surface portion of the line. Really it's not that difficult at all. If you're telling me it would have taken months/years to the point that the line would be delayed, then that tells you everything you need to know about transit planning in this province, and more particularly Metrolinx.

It's not rocket science to design and build transit shelters. The only people that it's rocket science to is Metrolinx and Astral Media, both of whom obviously have trouble with it.

im pretty sure the concepts were there during the design stage when ML took over. i would be amazed if the stops are a design build. remember this line was part of a wider TC plan so it wouldve made sense to make all surface stops the same design where possible. Sheppard had no intention of going closed heated shelters when construction started so judging by that it would be reasonable to assume that tc had no intentions as well.
1 rendering in a Transit City video does not equal tendered design.

No it was not. Both extensions east/west are both suppose to be above ground. The west was always meant to be above ground until Doug came in to power and is now scrapping the idea of having this "streetcar" "rip up" his Etobicoke roads.

No it was not. Both extensions east/west are both suppose to be above ground. The west was always meant to be above ground until Doug came in to power and is now scrapping the idea of having this "streetcar" "rip up" his Etobicoke roads.

Yes I know that Doug has put the Eglinton West LRT extension underground for those ridiculous reasons. The post I was responding to seemed to claim that the Crosstown that is currently under construction was put underground by him.

We're making it seem like it would've been such a hard task to have changed the design of the shelters along surface portion of the line. Really it's not that difficult at all. If you're telling me it would have taken months/years to the point that the line would be delayed, then that tells you everything you need to know about transit planning in this province, and more particularly Metrolinx.

It's not rocket science to design and build transit shelters. The only people that it's rocket science to is Metrolinx and Astral Media, both of whom obviously have trouble with it.
Who will pay for the redesign, extras and materials? Developers value engineer everyday and what was not promised on feature lists or contracts, are not obligated to be added in. Sure its sensible, but you would be naive to say that its as easy to sign off. Shelters are not off the shelf for this project. Design, permitting and tendering takes time. With the thousands of backlogs at the city right now, just getting a shelter approved for permit can take months, especially given the current climate. You can tender at the same time but it will cost just as much time to sign the contract.

So yea it'll take an architect and engineer about a months total worktime to design from scratch (AFTER all the various concepts have been weeded out), but everything else behind the scenes in a bureaucratic institution takes much more.

1 rendering in a Transit City video does not equal tendered design.
Theyre not going to tender something 10 years after the base tender for something this big. Costs increase every year for construction so they will want to lock in the price early. Even if they haven't tendered, the budget for these extra goodies most likely won't be there. As I mentioned before. These extras can come later. Why lose sleep and be angry for something that can come years down the road when what we need now is a fully functional lrt line ASAP

I was referring to ROB fords design change to bury the line. It was originally supposed to be all surface.

This is just a guess here, but I'm of the opinion there's no room for enclosed/wraparound shelters. Space is pretty limited and the road can only be expanded so much. Perhaps a single wall + canopy is the only real option for island stops. My issue would be why no incorporated art/tile pattern for each stop.

This is just a guess here, but I'm of the opinion there's no room for enclosed/wraparound shelters. Space is pretty limited and the road can only be expanded so much. Perhaps a single wall + canopy is the only real option for island stops. My issue would be why no incorporated art/tile pattern for each stop.
You do have a good point in terms of lack of space. Eglinton is rather tight already and there's not much room to shift the road back for more center median space.

Art =$$$$. Vision glass by far is the cheapest to desig , buy and install

No, the section that is now being constructed underground was always planned to be underground, he did want to have the rest of it out to Kennedy underground as well, but that was thankfully stopped.
I stand corrected. Fair enough

Back