News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Honestly the whole high floor LRVs is now a dream. Almost all if not all new systems/lines are built with low floor LRVs.
Almost, but not all. If there are benefits in using high floor vehicles, I don't see the need to follow the trend.

Never mind, all the downtown people "who really matter" will stay nice and warm under ground. ?
You do know that none of the current subway stations regardless if they are completely underground have either heating or air conditioning and neither will any of the crosstown stations. Subway stations are impossible to heat and cool because of the tunnel being open at each end as well as the ventilation system for the tunnel itself.

You do know that none of the current subway stations regardless if they are completely underground have either heating or air conditioning and neither will any of the crosstown stations. Subway stations are impossible to heat and cool because of the tunnel being open at each end as well as the ventilation system for the tunnel itself.
Unless they install Platform Screen Doors but even if they did, I suspect they would choose half height ones to save money.

Unless they install Platform Screen Doors but even if they did, I suspect they would choose half height ones to save money.
Even if they do put in platform edge doors they still aren't likely going to be retrofitted for heating and cooling systems. Retrofitting HVAC into the stations would likely be very expensive and very hard to do.

But there are geothermal benefits of building stations underground. Temperature's remain around the ground temperature, which is almost always in a comfortable range. It gets worse when crowds show up.

But there are geothermal benefits of building stations underground. Temperature's remain around the ground temperature, which is almost always in a comfortable range. It gets worse when crowds show up.
True most of the TTC stations do maintain a good temperature in them that are fully enclosed. However it's not just the platforms that would need to be heated and cooled if you were to put that into them. I'd actually like to know what the percentage of subway stations world wide that are actually climate controlled.

Even if they do put in platform edge doors they still aren't likely going to be retrofitted for heating and cooling systems. Retrofitting HVAC into the stations would likely be very expensive and very hard to do.

An enclosed building with a couple of radiant heaters installed is still lightyears better than standing outside.

Lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater simply because we can't get a posh air conditioned space with all the amenities.

Put a building on only half of the stop and if somoenes hot in the building in the summer they can stand in an exposed portion of the platform outside.

And what if we end up having homles people camping out in them are we going to have 24 hour security at each stop just so we can heat a small space?

I see no problem in making the space comfortable. Let's not make the architecture hostile on purpose...

You do realize that the homeless person's other option would be to freeze to death...

And what if we end up having homles people camping out in them are we going to have 24 hour security at each stop just so we can heat a small space?

If its truly an issue than make people pay their fare with automatic door before they enter.

But I doubt it would be a huge issue, nothing that would negate having heaters in an enclosure. Tons of transit systems have them, they are motion activated so you cant sleep and get heat.

I see no problem in making the space comfortable. Let's not make the architecture hostile on purpose...

You do realize that the homeless person's other option would be to freeze to death...

Maybe we should be housing the homeless in appropriate shelters so they dont have to seek out ones not intended for them.

(Some) GO station shelters already have this, and they are button operated and on a timer.
accesshub.JPG

These are access hubs. 30 new bus shelters across the city will have comfortable amenities including button activated heaters that deactivate automatically after 5 minutes. If the TTC can do it, then it shouldn't be too hard for metrolinx. But we all know metrolinx does the bare minimum

These are access hubs. 30 new bus shelters across the city will have comfortable amenities including button activated heaters that deactivate automatically after 5 minutes. If the TTC can do it, then it shouldn't be too hard for metrolinx. But we all know metrolinx does the bare minimum
Metrolinx already has heaters like this at Square One Terminal and at their stations on the Mississauga Transitway

Back