News   Mar 28, 2024
 314     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 338     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 698     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Double whammy for businesses, stores, and offices along Eglinton Avenue. First the LRT construction slowed down business, now it's the COVID-19 shutting the doors.

For now, construction for transportation projects, which includes the LRT construction, continues. Maybe with them continuing, the businesses will be able to reopen with less blockages.

So in the renders, it shows that entrances will be POP instead of Presto gates. Was that the plan all along?

If the TTC is claiming it is losing a lot of fares due to evasion, this seems to be counter to their goals.

1586184220092.png

Also Metrolinx expects to start Eglington Connects in 2020.

So in the renders, it shows that entrances will be POP instead of Presto gates. Was that the plan all along?

If the TTC is claiming it is losing a lot of fares due to evasion, this seems to be counter to their goals.

View attachment 239927

Also Metrolinx expects to start Eglington Connects in 2020.
Wait wait wait...no fare gates? This is a rapid transit line. I get it for the surface stops, but these underground stops should have fare gates — they are the most used after all and have fare-paid area bus terminals.

Wait wait wait...no fare gates? This is a rapid transit line. I get it for the surface stops, but these underground stops should have fare gates — they are the most used after all and have fare-paid area bus terminals.

Well, either the line is POP or it isn’t. Given the number of non gated stations, I would prefer the whole line to be platform tap (as opposed to on vehicle tap). The right place for the fare gates is at Cedarvale and Eglinton/Yonge, a forced tap to enter either Line 1 or the fare-paid bus platforms.

It’s the wrong thread to discuss it, but I have a feeling that fare paid bus platforms may disappear as the TTC comes to grips with its fare inspection policies. And on-street taps for streetcars is an obvious solution to current fare enforcement issues given TTC cant keep on vehicle readers working. Let’s handle all LRT and streetcar routes consistently. Finch is coming, and it should b aligned also..... Crosstown is the right place to get this all adjusted.

- Pal

Cedarvale, Eglinton, and Kennedy has fare gates in the renderings. It seems shady that only the interchange stations in the renderings have them

Attachments

• 1586214515591.png
    1586214515591.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Double whammy for businesses, stores, and offices along Eglinton Avenue. First the LRT construction slowed down business, now it's the COVID-19 shutting the doors.

For now, construction for transportation projects, which includes the LRT construction, continues. Maybe with them continuing, the businesses will be able to reopen with less blockages.

I think most of the stores along Eglinton Avenue will be closing down for 2020, at least. Because of the LRT construction and COVID-19, makes no sense to continue in the short term. They'll just have to sit on the sidelines for now. Those with leases will not renew, until 2021 or 2022.

Went out on the surface section between Victoria Park and Kennedy. Unfortunately I didn't take any shots but overhead catenary poles are up between Pharmacy and Warden and is now continuous between Victoria Park and Birchmount. Catenary poles are also up within the Kennedy Portal. Except for a bit of activity on Birchmount, it was fairly deserted throughout. The west Go Platform at Kennedy is progressing at a good rate as well.

Cedarvale, Eglinton, and Kennedy has fare gates in the renderings. It seems shady that only the interchange stations in the renderings have them
That's probably to serve as an exit or entrance faregate from or to the subway station. You would tap again on the LRT train (which would be a linked trip under the same fare). That way the data knows where you exited the subway (may or may not know where you boarded the LRT depending on vehicle onboard GPS capability).
In Vancouver the desire to have passengers tap off buses was to gather data to tailor services, but the geography played with the GPS/wireless data signal to/from buses and there was too great a time lag on the data transfer, so they scrapped the tap off buses and made them all tap on only and flat fare (not even zones).

Last edited:

Back