News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

You don't suppose Toronto would be this practical?

1585755732229.png

They basically just voted to place a bunch of construction workers together during a pandemic. We've already seen a bunch of positive covid cases on the Crosstown. Lets make it worse!

Indeed. I think anyone deemed essential should be tested weekly and our total testing capacity in Ontario is about 10k tests per day.

Im on the fence about this.

They basically just voted to place a bunch of construction workers together during a pandemic. We've already seen a bunch of positive covid cases on the Crosstown. Lets make it worse!

I would take the view that there are a wide number of tasks on a construction site where close proximity to others is not required; it depends on what one is doing. PPE, including top-level masks are often available; and providing site's aren't densely packed with workers, protocols are observed, hand-washing stations available, I think making good use of this opportunity make a world of sense.

I hasten to add, if you kept the number of construction workers the same, but close the road to cars, thus allowing a much larger work area, social-distancing while working would be easier, and work-flow more efficient.

I would say though, that obviously no one who is sick or who should be self-isolating should be working in construction anymore than in any other capacity; and anyone who is immune-compromised, or has risk-factors such as type 2 diabetes or hypertension associated with covid, or lives with someone who does, should be told to say home.

^I’m dubious that self distancing would work on a construction site. Too much need for group briefings, tailboard meetings, sudden need to discuss unforeseens, etc. Even if tasks can be performed singularly, safety protocols would require people o muster and account in emergencies. Not to mention shared use of portaloos, tools, workshop space, etc. and overcoming noise when communicating.

- Paul

^I’m dubious that self distancing would work on a construction site. Too much need for group briefings, tailboard meetings, sudden need to discuss unforeseens, etc. Even if tasks can be performed singularly, safety protocols would require people o muster and account in emergencies. Not to mention shared use of portaloos, tools, workshop space, etc. and overcoming noise when communicating.

- Paul
It's worked for us, though admittedly, the portable toilets are probably in violation. Muster points have been moved to outdoor locations, FLHAs are done outdoors and in smaller groups, workers have scheduled lunch breaks. Hand tools are disinfected after every use and workers working within 3 m from each other must put on additional PPE (gloves and masks). Noise has been mitigated with radios. Handwash stations, bi-daily disinfection, and warnings have convinced people to keep their distance.

Last edited:
Please don't say that.
I'd be surprised because their own projects are behind schedule but you never know.

Whole thing is, this % that is getting COVID via community transmission, the government has been opaque on details. 10% of those are health care workers from what I've read. What about the others? Are they working at a workplace? Are they getting it from the subway? Tim Hortons? There is no information as to potential candidates for community transmission so how do we know what the appropriate target for intervention is?

It's worked for us, though admittedly, the portable toilets are probably in violation. Muster points have been moved to outdoor locations, FLHAs are done outdoors and in smaller groups, workers have scheduled lunch breaks. Hand tools are disinfected after every use and workers working within 3 m from each other must put on additional PPE (gloves and masks). Noise has been mitigated with radios. Handwash stations, bi-daily disinfection, and warnings have convinced people to keep their distance.

I didn't realize you worked on a construction site.

Stay safe.

The materials for the "Central Portion" (following stations featured Chaplin, Avenue, Eglinton/Yonge, Mount Pleasant, Leaside) is already online and I assume have been posted here. The deck is dated March 23rd:

Back