News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 888     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

It couldn't extend over the LRT because of the over head wires.

It could easily be built over the wires.

And we really would need only 2 or 3 of these. Not everything needs to be start-of-the-art

I'd hardly call platform length shelters state-of-art. That's reserved for things like platform edge doors.

Interesting. Seems a bit on the grey side. Back in like 2010 I remember the Prov/Metrolinx cutting the art component for Crosstown (I believe to appease the cut the gravy mantra after Ford 1.0 won). I guess after all these years they didn't bring them back. A bit of a shame.

Here you go, A better LRT shelter from Alibaba only 15,000 dollars each.

1583589143795.png

Queue the "it looks like the St Clair disaster" complaints. Man i wish they would install overhead heat lamps though.
As someone who has frequently used the heat lamps on iON in waterloo, they don't do jack ****. You're better off with higher frequency trains and just biting the bullet of waiting in the cold for 2-3 minutes.

As someone who has frequently used the heat lamps on iON in waterloo, they don't do jack ****. You're better off with higher frequency trains and just biting the bullet of waiting in the cold for 2-3 minutes.

The ones in Chicago work great. It’s insane that we don’t have either bigger, more protected waiting areas or heat lamps, and it is flat untrue that such plans would be prohibitively expensive.

A lot of the crap outcomes we see in urban design, transportation planning, and public realm have more to do with a lack of vision, perspective, or creativity than it does any particularly insurmountable reason.

A lot of the crap outcomes we see in urban design, transportation planning, and public realm have more to do with a lack of vision, perspective, or creativity than it does any particularly insurmountable reason.

My take is that ML relies on the kind of designers who get articles in high end trade magazines rather than on the kind of designers who have experience in operations and maintenance. It’s more important to win a design award than to have happy customers and growing ridership.

What is the design purpose of the shelters....do we intend to provide protection to people while they wait for their lrt? Or are they to just look nice and give visual cues from a distance about where the stops are?

If the former, then the question is, how many people will accumulate at a stop in the duration of typical headways? Are we proposing to shelter them all? Or do we give priority to some -say wheelchairs and walker users- but it’s ok for others to stand in the pouring rain? Do we want all boarding customers clustered in that one short stretch of the platform? Is thatok in terms of boarding times and impact on trip velocity?

If the answer is, meh, this is Canada, people can tough it out....fine, but then why have a token shelter at all?

- Paul

The YRT may be chronically underfunded in terms of opex, but the shelters on the Viva BRTs are much better than these. Longer canopy, heated waiting area, and actually look fairly stylish.

Some help in keeping fast food warm though.

heat-lamps-for-food-1-8253.jpg

From link.

General Question for anyone to answer - Do you think the Crosstown LRT will open by December 2022. If Yes Why? If no, Why and When do you think so?

^I’m not sure more people is the answer. The people who fit out the tunnels and systems are not the same trades as the people who are dealing with finishing the excavating, form and rebar work, and concrete pours. The question is, when will those fit-out trades have adequate access to the tunnels and stations to do the next phase of the work. Until we have all station entrances complete and secure, only so much can get done inside. Many stations are still at the “playing with dirt” stage so there are vulnerabilities beyond Cedarvale and Eglinton-Yonge.

- Paul

Back