News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 890     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This is just sad. Every business on the strip directly behind the construction on Eglinton is either completely empty or closed for good. Crosstown LRT won’t be complete until “well into” 2022. #topoli
@CityNews

Generally, those businesses near the station locations would be hit more. During the line construction is also a good time for renovations, repairs, or redeveloping.

Once the stations are finished, expect the leases to be raised because of their "prime location".

Some people want nothing to change. If your business is located on a busy street where a subway may be day be built, well that is your call. The Eglinton LRT was years in planning and design. Business owners could see what was coming. It should not be up to taxpayers to compensate businesses who decide to stay through construction.

Some people want nothing to change. If your business is located on a busy street where a subway may be day be built, well that is your call. The Eglinton LRT was years in planning and design. Business owners could see what was coming. It should not be up to taxpayers to compensate businesses who decide to stay through construction.
Lot of those businesses can't go anywhere. If it were a big box street situation, sure.

Lot of those businesses can't go anywhere. If it were a big box street situation, sure.
You are correct. My point is that change is a reality of doing business. A point of comparison, while not recent in Toronto it is possible for real-estate values to go down in value. Loss in value is a risk for the purchaser. A business owner faces similar risks and challenges. There is always a risk of change regardless of whether a community is vibrant and growing or in decline.

If a community goes into decline, temporarily, because we deem it in the social good to improve transit, that is a risk to the business owner and a cost of running their business. Tax payers shouldn't have any obligation to support that business owner. Subsidizing businesses for interruptions due to civic improvements is a slippery slope and could drastically increase the cost of transit.

Last edited:
I’m not sure that I can accept the argument that ethnic businesses must remain in the same locale to maintain cohesiveness of their community. You won’t find many Jewish businesses in Kensington any more. The Italian community has migrated all the way from College Street to Woodbridge, Asian businesses have moved from Dundas and Spadina to the east and north. I have lost track of where the Portuguese community has moved from and to. There is no stability of place in Tornto’s development - if anything, it is the exception. Employment availability and related commuting routes may change, and communities may shift as that happens. As socioeconomic status rises, there may be a preference to move up as opposed to remaining in the original community hub.

I agree that Gentrification can be harmful, by forcing a community to uproot before it has achieved the income generation capability or equity to link relocation to “moving up”. Or to be able to simply invest and develop within its original location (Danforth perhaps being an example of that).

I can agree that the Jamaican community may still be in a precarious state and gentrification on Eglinton will make it hard and costly to relocate, but I’m not sure that proves gentrification is evil. It will depend on where that community ends up. In the long run, that may actually be progress.

- Paul

Some can't, but many can. Happens frequently from the downtown core when landlords jack the rent and the business moves.

A lot of business in the downtown core have equity value in their brands, usually from investor owners. I doubt these ones do, or can raise cash to pay for a move or compensate for the relocation risks, if they can even find an appropriate place available willing to rent to them. Even if they do, it could take six months of being out of business to complete a move and repoen. You can't do that without investor backers as a interim.

Last edited:
Yes. With private sector projects, the sub contractors know that the delays (and ensuing costs) will drive down the Internal rate or return and that there exists a point where project is no longer viable and hence the project will be cancelled . The subcontractors know that.

But on government projects, no politicians or government would ever have the balls to cancel such project given PR backlash that would ensue. Therefore the project sponsor has no leverage. So how do you change that?

Thats tough. But one way you can do that try to alter the incentive mechanism. For example, if governments have to bare the brunt of these delays and get egg on their faces, then so should the subcontractors. The subcontrcators are conveniently hiding in the background. Few know who they even are. If the eglington cross town were part of an olympic bid and if it were required for the olympics, you can bet that that it would not take twelve years. And it would ultimately be complete on time. Thats because these companies do not want their reputation tarnished in front of the world. It would not be just the governments with egg on their face.

Along the same line, I think that calling out subcontractors publically in order to ensure accountability might be a good tactic. We saw the John Tory and others call out Bombardier publicly for their delays. Seems to have worked.

pS.; i was replying to “innsertnamehere”

Last edited:
Taken from the Crosstown West IBC that was recently released but it provides interesting information about ridership distribution on the Crosstown that was worth cross-posting to this thread.

I think we are underestimating Crosstown ridership generally, but the good thing is that there will be many interchange opportunities, especially should the Ontario Line be built in the future.

1583084106740.png

Taken from the Crosstown West IBC that was recently released but it provides interesting information about ridership distribution on the Crosstown that was worth cross-posting to this thread.

I think we are underestimating Crosstown ridership generally, but the good thing is that there will be many interchange opportunities, especially should the Ontario Line be built in the future.

View attachment 233847

Shows why opening the section of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT from Mount Dennis to Cedarvale earlier than the rest makes sense.

Once upon a time, ML predicted westbound ridership approaching Eglinton would reach 12,000 pphpd by 2041. Now it's only 6,000 pphpd. Tells us how much to trust these numbers.

Once upon a time, ML predicted westbound ridership approaching Eglinton would reach 12,000 pphpd by 2041. Now it's only 6,000 pphpd. Tells us how much to trust these numbers.
2041? Do you mean 2014? And yes, Metrolinx can't be trusted. Actually, make that the Doug Ford government.

Back