News   Mar 28, 2024
 952     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Is there a law preventing us from bringing cheap labour from Asia?
I doubt labour is the issue here. We're talking about a difference between:

1 building a mostly surface laid non-electrified track over plain land without archeological investigations, environmental assessment or consultation with locals,
and
2 a tunnel and electrified track which passes under two other tunnels with electrified track through an area with mapped and unmapped underground utilities in addition to stations and accessible infrastructure, with neighbours who don't want 24x7 construction.

I doubt labour is the issue here. We're talking about a difference between:

1 building a mostly surface laid non-electrified track over plain land without archeological investigations, environmental assessment or consultation with locals,
and
2 a tunnel and electrified track which passes under two other tunnels with electrified track through an area with mapped and unmapped underground utilities in addition to stations and accessible infrastructure, with neighbours who don't want 24x7 construction.
others around the world also build 2 at a much faster pace...

Is there a law preventing us from bringing cheap labour from Asia?
At this stage I don't care about the labour cost, just get it done. Can't we get anything done on time? This damn thing was announced in 2007 by Miller and Adam "casting couch" Giambrone. I expect it will be 2024 before the final elements are fully complete and operational, or seventeen years from announcement to completion for a system that is for much of its length a street level LRT.

At this rate, at 48 years old, I'll be lucky to still be alive by the time the DRL or Ontario Line is completed.

others around the world also build 2 at a much faster pace...

I went looking for some facts to debate this statement, and I figured I'd start with Crossrail in London. The article that Google put at top of list was this one from CNN.

The UK's National Audit Office has blamed an "unrealistic" schedule for the delays. "The compressed schedule, the contractual model, the loss of downward pressure on costs and the absence of a realistic plan were set against an atmosphere where 'can do' became unrealistic," it wrote in May 2019.

Does that sound familiar? Ontario Line, anyone?

- Paul

thats what you get with unionised labour on govt jobs.

You do know that it is private companies doing the construction. They were given the specs or contract, and that is what they do. Except if they find something that was different or not in the specs, like undocumented pipes or utilities.

You do know that it is private companies doing the construction. They were given the specs or contract, and that is what they do. Except if they find something that was different or not in the specs, like undocumented pipes or utilities.
Its the govt jobs part that I am concerned about. whether its public or private, theyve been known to milk every dollar for minimal work as much as they can

We made a quick video on the construction progress at Keelesdale and Mount Dennis stations:

Am I wrong here or is one of the reasons why crosstown is wearing everyone down is sloppy project management... it didn't really click for me until I watched this video. The decrepit state of the entire stretch of Eglinton quite frankly has me pissed off.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 3.13.52 PM.png

If a sand barrel is broken... THEN REPLACE IT! If the pylons are crushed and cracked, throw them out and replace them. If signage is knocked over then pick it back up. If there are massive and I mean MASSIVE potholes in the road then patch them.

For a project that has spanned the better part of a decade this is where Crosslinx and Metrolinx have both failed miserably. I remember looking at the Crossrail project in London and being amazed at how tidy the sites were. If you compare the projects they are not identical but both are similar in that they are crossing a major high density urban area and both have multiple construction sites operating concurrently. -- All of the sites in London were enclosed behind visually appealing barricades, the streetscape as a whole outside of these barricades was cared for and untouched by construction activity. When you compare London's approach to Toronto the difference is night and day. London clearly is taking every effort to minimize annoyance and disruption to city residents, whereby apparently Crosslinx and Metrolinx could give a flying f**K.

Crosslinx and Metrolinx need to take notes from TfL's playbook. Also, we the citizens need to be more demanding and stop tolerating this ignorance from our government.

EDIT: For comparisons sake here is a picture of your average TfL Crossrail construction site... the difference in cleanliness and appearance is staggering.
PressOn-hoarding-graphics-Crossrail-Elizabeth-Line-HI-RES-e1508943718140.jpg

Am I wrong here or is one of the reasons why crosstown is wearing everyone down is sloppy project management... it didn't really click for me until I watched this video. The decrepit state of the entire stretch of Eglinton quite frankly has me pissed off.

View attachment 232394

If a sand barrel is broken... THEN REPLACE IT! If the pylons are crushed and cracked, throw them out and replace them. If signage is knocked over then pick it back up. If there are massive and I mean MASSIVE potholes in the road then patch them.

For a project that has spanned the better part of a decade this is where Crosslinx and Metrolinx have both failed miserably. I remember looking at the Crossrail project in London and being amazed at how tidy the sites were. If you compare the projects they are not identical but both are similar in that they are crossing a major high density urban area and both have multiple construction sites operating concurrently. -- All of the sites in London were enclosed behind visually appealing barricades, the streetscape as a whole outside of these barricades was cared for and untouched by construction activity. When you compare London's approach to Toronto the difference is night and day. London clearly is taking every effort to minimize annoyance and disruption to city residents, whereby apparently Crosslinx and Metrolinx could give a flying f**K.

Crosslinx and Metrolinx need to take notes from TfL's playbook. Also, we the citizens need to be more demanding and stop tolerating this ignorance from our government.

EDIT: For comparisons sake here is a picture of your average TfL Crossrail construction site... the difference in cleanliness and appearance is staggering.
View attachment 232398
Crossrail doesn't have to deal with the number of cars Eglinton avenue sees. Potholes really aren't an issue for them, and Jersey barriers aren't required.

View attachment 232394

View attachment 232398

Just look at the state of the road markings. Markings are faded and in the wrong spot. Years out-of-date road markings aren’t being removed. Old and out-of-date road signs litter the streets and sidewalks.

It’s clear that Crosslinx does not give a damn about minimizing disruption

I know I’ve seen at least one accident on Eglinton that was caused by conflicting road markings

Back