News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 862     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

This has been making its rounds on Facebook ?

84826778_10157665819860861_552845793749368832_o.jpg

Isn't it really strange they are placing rubber pads bolted onto concrete blocks on surface tracks? It seems pretty clear that they aren't going to pour concrete on top.

Looks like a possible green track installation or even just leave it as-is so cars don't drive on it into the tunnel.

Isn't it really strange they are placing rubber pads bolted onto concrete blocks on surface tracks? It seems pretty clear that they aren't going to pour concrete on top.

The construction method that they are using on the surface sections is very similar to RETRAC as used on the legacy network in a lot of regards, but there are also some clear differences.

But one thing that they are doing that is the same as RETRAC is encapsulating the rail in rubber wherever it is being surrounded by concrete to provide for insulation and dampening. The section between Victoria Park and Pharmacy is like this, and I believe is earmarked to be one of the green ROW sections.

Looks like a possible green track installation or even just leave it as-is so cars don't drive on it into the tunnel.

Most of the alignment will keep the rail fully exposed to allow for easy replacement of the rail and fasteners when the time comes. It also greatly simplifies the installation and maintenance of switches and specialwork.

Dan

Based on what I see at Leslie, the guideway will not be level with the road everywhere Along the surface portion. Elsewhere there is a curb about double the height of a sidewalk. I doubt anyone without a Hummer is going to drive on it.

It teases the completion of Mount Dennis station. Would be nice to visit it for Doors Open.
I agree totally and that is a positive thought for a Saturday.

But my inner asshole wants to say “I don’t want to visit it, I want it to be open so I can ride it.” I can’t wait for this stuff to be done. Argh.

Metrolinx has finally admitted that the opening of this line is now delayed well into 2022.

Metrolinx has finally admitted that the opening of this line is now delayed well into 2022.

I've given the matter due consideration @Tuscani01 and I blame you.

Back in a day, you could have pitched your bosses bosses boss on the value of branding!

I mean w/multiple existing stores and an HQ on the line...........

It clearly should have been the Mastercraft Line, brought to you by Canadian Tire.

Then the store development team could have overseen a line w/exceptional merchandising displays, seemlessly ntegrated to every station.

With each station built so well it comes with a lifetime guarantee or 100 years (the greater of the 2) or your money back!

All in CT colours w/stations in Red and Black with periodic bursts of faux wood and Mark's orange.

All with just-in-time delivery, at competitive prices.

But.....noooooo; you woudln't pitch the idea.......................

?

Last edited:

Maybe Doug Ford won’t get to cut the ribbon on an LRT after all.

No firm date set for completion.

Exclusive: Eglinton Crosstown LRT delayed until 2022, Metrolinx confirms.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...faces-another-setback-delayed-until-2022.html

Not going to fault Metrolinx on this one. Well the secrecy and political subterfuge yes. But it is unfortunate, specifically for the notion that P3s were to be a proverbial magic bullet to have things built quicker than in the past. This is working out to be the same amount of time.

Also what's the point of even completing the surface section when it's going to be sitting quiet for 2.5yrs. Maybe they thought it'd woo people into thinking the project's pretty much done. But seems like it'd have the opposite effect. Public sees completed platforms, tracks, and poles - but no service for 30mths - they'll ask more questions and be more angry. Still think a rolling approach could be the best method. Have a hardened crew work from one end to another with stations basically being built one at a time. Which also allows a staged opening.

To make matters worse, I feel like mentioning that the line was originally supposed to open in phases starting in 2016 (Eglinton West to Martin Grove was to be the first), until McGunity delayed and reduced the funding, and took over the project from the TTC, and switched it to a P3 scheme, requiring a great deal of procurement work to be redone, wasting a few years of time.

Back